• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New SNPs Interpretation from Ben Lynch: Strategene

caledonia

There is a brand new SNPs interpretation from Ben Lynch called Strategene. A couple years in the making. I haven't ordered this personally yet, but it according to his preview video, it includes the epigenetic factors that affect each SNP. This is very useful info.

http://go.strategene.org/genetic-analysis/

There is a private Facebook group where you can ask questions (once you purchase it).

Cost is $45.

echobravo

Keep searching, the answer is out there
Saw this, also. I have purchased many genetic reports based on my 23andme data. I cannot say any of those genetic reports provided advice that helped improve fatigue, pain, sensitivities etc. What has helped some though (wrt chronic pain states) was going low carb and reducing starches (SCD).

Would be interesting to know the usefulness and "accuracy" of Dr, Lynch's Stratagene initiative. I hope that instead of listing "every genetic anomaly" you might have, he has been able to pinpoint the SNPs that actually contribute to disease and bad health. And that he found cofactors, diets, interventions that actually make a difference.

alicec

Would be interesting to know the usefulness and "accuracy" of Dr, Lynch's Stratagene initiative

Yes I'd like at least a preview before I buy. Most of the reports that I have seen have a serious problem with quality control. They seem to think that all they need to do is identify variants, whether or not they have any consequence. There is usually an attempt to link some SNPs to research but for many there is no information whatsoever.

Hip

There seem to be quite a few health / sports science gene interpreting services becoming available.

Many of these services can take your existing 23andme data, and provide an interpretation and report based on it. Just how useful these reports are is debatable. I saw a recent TV documentary about the use of these services in professional athletics.

One of athletes commented that although he did not learn anything of major importance from these services, what he did find out corroborated what he had already worked out to be the case. In other words, what this athlete had already figured out for himself, by trial and error testing supplements, diet, training regimens, etc, the genetic interpretation reports corroborated.

You also have other exotic stuff like genetic dating services. Sounds interesting in concept; does anyone know if here is good science to back this up?

Horizon

Has anyone tried this service? Just came across it but not sure its worth the price considering the other services.

ebethc

I'm listening to this video interview w ben lynch - creator of Strategene...
  • He says that his test only focuses on the snps that are valuable, i.e., have the most data..Also, his POV is that most snps do not necessarily affect your health, so his report focuses on the snps you need to focus on... e.g., BHMT is not important. Why doesn't he just say, "These are the important snps"?! I've got all the reports, and I think Ben Lynch has done a lot of work in this area, so I am inclined to agree w his point that you don't need to chase every snp, so why not just say, These are the ones to manage? ... argh I don't know that he's making THAT much money from the report; it's costs alot of money to develop, maintain and market something like that..
  • No supplement advice; wants to encourage ppl to work w a health professional
  • Does not keep your genetic report b/c he wants to keep personal information safe
also in this video.. he talks about SIBO and bile, which I found interesting. may be redundant for others... the Strategene stuff is in the last 50-20 minutes

Anyone end up getting this? Does it include any supplement advice or any helpful info at all? I'm trying to figure out which interpretation tool I should use before spending money.

I don't expect anything spectacular from the report either but what's more interesting is the FB group.
Does anyone have any experience with it?
I think Dr Lynch himself and Dr Jess Armine are consulting(commenting) there.