• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

University of Bradford researchers discover potential new way of treating inflammatory diseases

Solstice

Seeing how KDM always talks about inflammation this might be of particular interest to him and patients of him.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I am currently experimenting with coming off Metformin as it may be contributing to my muscle weakness, fatigue and gut problems. My problems started after taking Metformin, then worsened after taking statins.

It's early days but I seem to be experiencing significant improvement after only a few weeks since ceasing Metformin.

There are research articles and other information on the Internet (sorry no references) pointing to Metformin's adverse effects on mitochondria, ATP energy production, muscle and gut function which prompted me to trial stopping it (with my endocrinologist's agreement).

Everyone is different. Just wanted to highlight that in my case Metformin might be contributing to my problems.

Hanna

I am currently experimenting with coming off Metformin as it may be contributing to my muscle weakness, fatigue and gut problems. My problems started after taking Metformin, then worsened after taking statins.

It's early days but I seem to be experiencing significant improvement after only a few weeks since ceasing Metformin.

There are research articles and other information on the Internet (sorry no references) pointing to Metformin's adverse effects on mitochondria, ATP energy production, muscle and gut function which prompted me to trial stopping it (with my endocrinologist's agreement).

Everyone is different. Just wanted to highlight that in my case Metformin might be contributing to my problems.

Statins are now known to impair mitochondrial function (cf Dr Stephany Seneff MIT). Maybe it could be one of the culprits for your muscle weakness ? Statins impair CoQ10 synthesis. Have you been supplementing enough to compensate the loss ?

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Statins are now known to impair mitochondrial function (cf Dr Stephany Seneff MIT). Maybe it could be one of the culprits for your muscle weakness ? Statins impair CoQ10 synthesis. Have you been supplementing enough to compensate the loss ?
I stopped statins 5 years ago after they appeared to trigger severe ME.