• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you still have POTS symptoms whilst laying down?

what happens to your pots symptoms after laying down?

• Completely go away

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Reduce somewhat

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Remain the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sb4

From reading around I get the impression that for a lot of POTS people all their symptoms (heart pounding , tachycardia, light headedness, etc) go away when laying down.

For me this has not been the case and I wonder if it's the same for a subset of pots.

Personally I'd be happy as Larry if my symptoms vanished on laying down.

halcyon

I still have a high resting heart rate when laying perfectly flat, and will often have tachycardia and palpitations when laying down.

PennyIA

I still have a high resting heart rate when laying perfectly flat, and will often have tachycardia and palpitations when laying down.

Same here... though the symptoms were very much reduced over being upright when my POTS was at its worst. When it was really bad, I couldn't tolerate being upright much at all, where as ... I didn't feel great while lying down, at least I could tolerate it.

taniaaust1

i wont fill out that poll as it could give wrong impression on things and I'd rather have most clearly understanding a simplized kind of view of it then feeling confused and not understanding OI at all.

It though can be more complex then most think. POTS symptoms "lessen" on laying down but in some situations may not go away eg if you have got dehydrated with the POTS you may remain sick from the POTS till you get an IV to boost your blood volume, if you are very dehydrated with blood volume way too low, you can remain very sick to the point you may feel so unwell you want to just die.

I can take a couple of days (or maybe not at all) to recover from a POTS collapse if I dont get given a couple of bags of 1 Litre saline IV after a POTS collapse. Things like high resting heart rate I believe show the person is under hydrated and its probably showing some dehydration going on.

Last edited:
My blood pressure goes up when lying down and my palpitations are at their worst. I can't get relief......upright bad.....lying bad....but in a different way.

Valentijn

Yeah, if I lie down, OI symptoms stop getting worse. If I'm lying down when not having problems, OI problems don't start. But if I've been up for too long, it takes a while to recover. Typically an hour if it wasn't too extreme, but sometimes I'll get an OI-induced crash and my BP and heart rate won't really recover for a couple days.

PS - Most of have a different form of OI, not POTS. Focusing on POTS is either inaccurate or inappropriately exclusive.

taniaaust1

My blood pressure goes up when lying down and my palpitations are at their worst. I can't get relief......upright bad.....lying bad....but in a different way.

that' doesnt sound good, maybe you have got what I think if Im remembering properly something called "pure autonomic failure" which as far as i know isnt a ME issue. With pure autonomic failure BP goes up when laying down

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I've got POTS, confirmed by tilt table test, but also I experience the exact same POTS symptoms righ after waking up, before geting out of bed and standing up. anybody experiences the same?