• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quick Bloodtest Question

David Jackson

Hey hey,

Quick question about getting some blood drawn for tests here:

I'm booked to get some bloodwork done tomorrow morning. This will be the first time I have left the house to get tests done in years (as I have been making some really good improvements, and can now do this!)

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about blood pressure; the last time a nurse came around to my place to get some blood, my body could only manage one vial, while I was laying on the ground :( Even that took ages to fill up. I needed to fill another vial, but my body just couldn't manage it.

That was ages go, and I'm soooo much better now, but I still fear the same thing may happen; my veins just don't stand up anymore. Though my heartbeat is way stronger than it was back then.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Hardly any blood comes out? Anyone know any good life hacks to counteract it?

I'm planning to drink heaps of fluids before I go to try and fill the veins up as much as possible, but any other tips would be very much appreciated.

How was I even alive with so little blood, anyway???

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Drinking an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte or Vitalyte (much less expensive) will also help. Also, be sure you dress warmly. You can call ahead and ask the lab if they have heating pads they can place on your arm.

Things to avoid: having the tourniquet on longer than a minute and/or pumping with your fist. Both of these actions will cause hemoconcentration and affect your lab results.

For more info:
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diagnosis/blooddraws.html

I'm a registered medical technologist with over 100,000 blood draws performed.

IreneF

I was told not to drink coffee. It's supposed to be a vasoconstrictor. I'm kind of sceptical about that advice because I've found it depends on the skill of the phlebotomist more than anything. I'm a difficult stick and the hospital phlebotomists--who draw blood all day--do it the best.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I agree with what IreneF said - a lot depends on the skill of the phlebotomist. A nurse who may only do a few blood draws a day will not usually have the same skill as someone who draws blood all day long in a hospital or clinic.

Valentijn

I agree with what IreneF said - a lot depends on the skill of the phlebotomist. A nurse who may only do a few blood draws a day will not usually have the same skill as someone who draws blood all day long in a hospital or clinic.
There's a crazy good one at KDM's clinic who can feel where the vein is even when it's completely invisible :love:

David Jackson

Just got back, and my body absolutely smoked it. Had no trouble at all filling up 5 vials. And the nurse that took the blood was expert; she found the vein on the first try, and I didn't even feel it at all when she would change the vials over. So it went as good as it possibly could have. Sure does make me dizzy going in a car, though.

Had an interesting feeling about leaving the house: kinda like embarrassment. A 32 year old guy catching a taxi to the medical center to get bloodtests... shouldn't I have some awesome car, be in great shape and be earning 70-80K by now? Of course, no one apart from me thought anything like this, but my mind was kind of holding me up to these expectations.