• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Buzzfeed: 19 Facts About The Disease That Makes You Tired All The Time

mango

Buzzfeed: 19 Facts About The Disease That Makes You Tired All The Time

More than 1 million Americans suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome. Here’s what you need to know.

posted on Oct. 24, 2016, at 3:03 p.m.

Imagine being constantly exhausted, like you’re physically and mentally depleted for months — even years — and no one can figure out why.

This is what over one million people experience every day with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), which is defined by the CDC as an overwhelming fatigue lasting six months or more, plus a host of other symptoms that don’t get better with rest, and get worse after physical or mental exertion.

CFS is a wildly misunderstood and complex chronic disease, sometimes also referred to as “myalgic encephalomyelitis” (ME) or chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS). Many patients prefer to use the term ME/CFS, because the term “chronic fatigue” can be stigmatized. However, for the purpose of consistency with current medical literature and clarity for readers who are unfamiliar with the condition, we will use “chronic fatigue syndrome” and “CFS” in this article. [...]

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/19-facts-about-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

mango

The #MEAction Network on Facebook said:
This week, Buzzfeed published an article about ME. While they make an effort to represent the complexities of the disease, there are a several problems with the article, such as incorrectly stating that GET and CBT can be helpful. If our community works together to flood the comments section with evidence that refutes these claims, such as the David Tuller article on Undark, we can make our collective voices heard and stand a chance at improving popular culture's understanding of ME.

(This post has been edited based upon some feedback in comments.)
https://www.facebook.com/MEActNet/posts/1818045241811207

ash0787

close enough but not quite accurate, I rarely feel sleepy I often feel on edge but exhausted,
there are not any effective treatments that are deployed to hospitals.

dreampop

That's really not what it feels like. It is not analogous to sleep.
Eh, you have to cut them some slack. They are saying it feels terrible. Its a hard fatigue sensation to actually describe in a sentence, I still have trouble after 10 years.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
This is so wrong:
The vast majority of people will notice some level of improvement after specialized treatment, the experts say. The improvement isn’t always substantial, Rowe says, but it can help people manage their symptoms to a point where they can function again, return to work, and have a massive reduction in doctor’s visits.

This is irresponsible journalism. There is no evidence to support this.

From the article:
"There’s another theory that CFS is caused by central sensitization, Fleming says, which basically means someone is hypersensitive to stimuli like noise, light, heat, cold, or electricity. So their brain sends abnormal pain signals to the central nervous system from normal stimuli that doesn’t bother other people. It could explain why CFS patients feel so much pain, get frequent headaches, or feel so exhausted from exercise, Fleming says."

Kevin C Fleming, from the Mayo Clinic, about central sensitization, or, somatoform disorder:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4422459/

IreneF

From the article:
"There’s another theory that CFS is caused by central sensitization, Fleming says, which basically means someone is hypersensitive to stimuli like noise, light, heat, cold, or electricity. So their brain sends abnormal pain signals to the central nervous system from normal stimuli that doesn’t bother other people. It could explain why CFS patients feel so much pain, get frequent headaches, or feel so exhausted from exercise, Fleming says."

Kevin C Fleming, from the Mayo Clinic, about central sensitization, or, somatoform disorder:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4422459/
Oh right. That would explain my defective natural killer cells.