• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

4 quick tips for reducing eyestrain externally

I use "gaming glasses" from Amazon. They filter out blue light and reduce eye strain significantly - they're especially useful in situations where you don't have control over the lights - e.g. in a classroom or at a conference.

Some of you may already know about the "f.lux" app for computers that changes the color temperature of your display when the sun goes down to make it more "red". This is also easier on the eyes. The "Twilight" app on Android devices is also helpful. I believe Apple has something called "Night Shift" that serves the same purpose.

If you use Google Chrome to browse, there's an extension called "Dark Reader" that reverses the color scheme on webpages so that the background is black and text white.

The most obvious, and easy tip to implement is: reduce brightness on your monitor/phone. :)

Wish you all the best,

Happy to answer questions!

Dmitri

The best thing I was able to do for my eyes was set my monitor to medium-low contrast and high brightness, which reduced the strain considerably.

The best thing I was able to do for my eyes was set my monitor to medium-low contrast and high brightness, which reduced the strain considerably.
Thanks for the tip, I just tried it and it definitely works. Just make sure that you have external lighting and aren't in a dark room with the monitor as your only source of light!