• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I stop my meds before my tests ?

Dechi

Hello,

In a few weeks I will be redoing a bunch of tests I had done last year. I will be going to see Dr Hyde in Ottawa and he wants me to do a few tests :

- Stress echo
- Doppler of the carotid
- Echo
- Holter monitor (24 hours)

I am also awaiting a date for an MRI.

Those tests were initially requested by other doctors and at the time I wasn't on any meds. Now I am on nimotop 30mg twice a day. I have been since march. This medication is giving me a boost of about 30% in energy, and diminishing fatigue and other symptoms. It has an effect on blood flow to the brain.

Should I stop it before doing the tests, knowing that the purpose of these tests are to find anomalies, which might be hidden entirely or in part by the effect of the medication ? And if so, how long before, knowing I will have a decrease in my health condition if I stop it and I have to drive 2 hours to get to Ottawa. I suppose I could still drive, I did before taking nimotop and I was okay.

I am also taking Omega-3, NAG and Curcuma. Should I stop those too ?

Thanks for your input !

Undisclosed

You should be asking the doctor who ordered the tests whether or not you need to stop the medication. I think the reason you may not be getting any answers is because you are asking for specific medical advice which is against the rules as we don't want any of our members harmed in any way.

Dechi

You should be asking the doctor who ordered the tests whether or not you need to stop the medication. I think the reason you may not be getting any answers is because you are asking for specific medical advice which is against the rules as we don't want any of our members harmed in any way.

Yes, I understand that it might sound like I am asking medical advice. But I am not.

If I were to rephrase, I would put it like this : do you think medications can alter the validity of the various tests we might take, since it is partially resolving some symptoms ?

Does it sound more like an acceptable question if I put it this way ?

Undisclosed

do you think medications can alter the validity of the various tests we might take, since it is partially resolving some symptoms ?

This is a totally different question. Yes, some medications can alter the validity of some tests and the doctor who orders any tests should know what meds you are on and advise you whether or not you should stop the meds prior to the tests. Again only your doctor should be advising you related to stopping medications.

Dechi

This is a totally different question. Yes, some medications can alter the validity of some tests and the doctor who orders any tests should know what meds you are on and advise you whether or not you should stop the meds prior to the tests. Again only your doctor should be advising you related to stopping medications.

This medication I am on is on an " as per needed basis " meaning I am allowed to adjust the amount I am taking and gradually stop it as I see fit. I will still ask my doctor, of course, but I was hoping for some stories about similar experiences.

Thank you for answering me !

TigerLilea

Now I am on nimotop 30mg twice a day. I have been since march. This medication is giving me a boost of about 30% in energy, and diminishing fatigue and other symptoms. It has an effect on blood flow to the brain.

Should I stop it before doing the tests, knowing that the purpose of these tests are to find anomalies, which might be hidden entirely or in part by the effect of the medication ? And if so, how long before, knowing I will have a decrease in my health condition if I stop it and I have to drive 2 hours to get to Ottawa. I suppose I could still drive, I did before taking nimotop and I was okay.
I would suggest phoning the hospital that is doing the tests and ask them for their advice. Some meds and supplements will affect test results; others won't.

Dechi

I would suggest phoning the hospital that is doing the tests and ask them for their advice. Some meds and supplements will affect test results; others won't.

My concern is more that the meds could partially hide the ME and that they wouldn't be conclusive. Is this what you meant ?

Most logical in my opinion is,.... on docters advice.
- He has to interpret the results of the tests and draw conclusions. To be able to do that accurately he needs to know anyway exactly what meds ( and supplements ) you used the weeks before, otherwise he could make false conclusions.
So it has to be discussed anyway, so why not in advance.
- Depends also what he wants to evaluate. Some tests are done to evaluate the basic condition (without meds) , some test are done to evaluate the effect / efficacity of a med. So only he/she can tell you.

Dechi

Most logical in my opinion is,.... on docters advice.
- He has to interpret the results of the tests and draw conclusions. To be able to do that accurately he needs to know anyway exactly what meds ( and supplements ) you used the weeks before, otherwise he could make false conclusions.
So it has to be discussed anyway, so why not in advance.
- Depends also what he wants to evaluate. Some tests are done to evaluate the basic condition (without meds) , some test are done to evaluate the effect / efficacity of a med. So only he/she can tell you.

Yes, I will check with him. He's tying to determine if I have ME or something else.

Dechi

Follow-up : I stopped my meds 2 days before the tests ad it resulted in a crash that lasted 10-12 days. Nimotop has been keeping me from crashing, and now I have definite proof of it. I crashed because of the stress echo. It lasted 9 minutes, I reached the heart rate objective but couldn't pursue because of the pain in my legs. The test showed minor cardiac anomalies that we will further investigate.

I also had a SPECT scan and I hope stopping 3 days before was good enough. This was a surprise test, they had a cancellation while I was in Ottawa.

At the end of january, I have some tests coming at the Jewish Hospital. Table tilt and others. And the neurologist has asked me to stop my meds 2 weeks prior. I am going to have to be more careful for the whole month of january and for a while after, to avoid crashing.