• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need advice on understanding my symptoms/condition

Hello,

I am newbie to this group. I would like to first say that, I really impressed with the amount of information/experiences you guys share and it helped me understand lot of things. I wouldn't have restarted my B12 and Folic acid supplements again in proper way, if I wouldn't find this forum. Thank you :)

I am almost sure that I have some kind of B12 or/and Folic acid or/and D3 issues but need to understand what exactly causing or which one is impacting more. I really need some help to understand this.

Here is my story, will try to make it simple.

Symptoms (higher to lower troublesome)
1) Headaches (nor migraines neither tension headaches), all over nerve pains on head and face. Almost 24/7, fluctuate throughout the day.
2) No refreshing sleep
3) Anxiety, tingling legs and hands
4) Fatigue
5) Depression
6) Insomnia
7) Gastro issues (Constipation/Diarrhea, Bloating)
8) Irritable mood
9) Brain fog
Having these symptoms from past 15 years

Diagnostics/Medicines tried which didn’t help/normal :
1) MRI ,Eye test, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, TMT/bruxism, sleep study, nerve pinching on neck test were normal
2) Different SSRI’s and Anti seizure medications. Nothing worked.
3) Cognitive behaviours therapy (it helped bit with my worry thoughts)

Diagnostics abnormal and medicines worked
1) Homocysteine(umol/L) (2011 : 20+, 2014 : 14.69, 2016: 12.8),
D3(ng/ml) (2011 : 9, 2014 : 28.7, 2016 : 19)
2) In 2011, tried
Methycobalamin shots one per day for one month (didn’t remember dosage)
D3 powder once per week (50,000IU)
This make most of my symptoms reduced to 70% and then was stopped working after 20 days while still taking B12 shots and D3. I guess the reason is B12 shots may have been exposed to light. I didn’t understand why it stopped working at that time and thought its not related to B12 and D3
3) A recent Methylmalonic acid test was 0.4 umol/L (range 0.0 umol/L to 0.3 umol/L), not sure this implies B12 deficiency. (my assumption is B12 is OK but folic acid has problem)
4) Currently using Thorne 5-mthf 1 mg and Jarrow 5mg B12 sublingual.(from past few days)
This make my symptoms reduced to 95% :)
D3 started few weeks back, every week 50,000IU. But no immediate results when I started.

23AndMe results (Mutations from geneticgenie)
VDR Taq AA +/+
MAO A R297R T +/+
ACAT1-02 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P AA +/+
MTHFR A1298C GG +/+
MTR A2756G AG +/-
MTRR A66G AG +/-
MTRR A664A AG +/-
BHMT-02 CT +/-
BHMT-08 CT +/-
CBS A360A AG +/-

The information on these SNPs is too overwhelming to me and I am unable to get a conclusion about whats happening with my methylation cycle based on above mutations. I am also not sure if I have CFS because I never been bed ridden and never had debilitated by body pains/Fatigue like I saw in most of the users posted in this forum but definitely effected my quality of life highly. I am 35 years old IT Engineer and I am OK (I could have done much better with out this condition but currently I am not bad) in my career except that I am experiencing/suffering with this health condition. I consulted a lot of doctors and no one really helped me.

It would be nice to if guys share your insight on my symptoms and whether I am deficient on B12 or folic acid or may be something else ?

The effects of B12/Folic acid supplements on me is super powerful that now I am more calm, patient and able to enjoy things in my life.

I am also wondering that B12/Folic acid supplements shows such a strong effect that make my symptoms disappear almost in few hours. Is that the way they work ?

Thanks a lot of reading this.
Sri

It would be nice to if guys share your insight on my symptoms and whether I am deficient on B12 or folic acid or may be something else ?
Based on those SNPs, you're looking pretty normal. MTRR A66G won't have a significant impact unless homozygous, so B12 should be okay. MTHFR A1298C is a relatively mild reduction in producing folate, but due to the MTHFR being so common, it's completely average.

A normal dose of folate from a multivitamin or B complex might be a good idea, especially if you don't eat much vegetables, and people often find B12 helpful for reasons unrelated to deficiency. Basically, if it makes you feel better, is safe, and doesn't cause side effects, then it makes sense to keep doing what works.

Based on those SNPs, you're looking pretty normal. MTRR A66G won't have a significant impact unless homozygous, so B12 should be okay. MTHFR A1298C is a relatively mild reduction in producing folate, but due to the MTHFR being so common, it's completely average.

A normal dose of folate from a multivitamin or B complex might be a good idea, especially if you don't eat much vegetables, and people often find B12 helpful for reasons unrelated to deficiency. Basically, if it makes you feel better, is safe, and doesn't cause side effects, then it makes sense to keep doing what works.

Thank you for the suggestion Valentijn.

What do you think about the reason for my homocysteine levels elevated ? I saw in the wiki that the optimal level should be < 11.4. I thought my issue or elevated homocysteine is due to some of MTR/MTHFRs are +/- and A1298C is +/+.

Btw I eat lot of vegetables.

@sri_blm

Have you tested for heavy metals? All your symptoms have been linked by somebody or other to mercury toxicity.

Yes, I did and they were all normal. Mercury was 0.31 ug/l

I tried seeking health's Homocysteine X wich has B6, but it didn't help my symptoms.
I don't think elevated homocysteine usually causes symptoms. Rather it's a sign of something else being out of whack, and is a risk factor for certain diseases.

I don't think elevated homocysteine usually causes symptoms. Rather it's a sign of something else being out of whack, and is a risk factor for certain diseases.

But isn't elevated Homocysteine means B12/Folate deficiency as a scientific test and symptoms associated with that are related to Neurological ? IMO Treating that with B vitamins should fix elvated levels and methylation cycle and reduce the symptoms. (that is what happened with b12 supplements.)

Last edited:
But isn't elevated Homocysteine means B12/Folate deficiency as a scientific test and symptoms associated with that are related to Neurological ?
There could be a few genetic reasons, and probably quite a few non-genetic possibilities as well. MTHFR and MTRR are just two possibilities out of many, and the SNPs you listed look pretty normal.

There's lists of significant SNPs in the methylation cycle at:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mthfr-variations.24543/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mtrr-variations.24551/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mtr-variations.24572/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-cbs-variations.24492/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-bhmt-and-bhmt2-variations.24512/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-ahcy-variations.24498/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-acat1-and-acat2-variations.24494/

You can compare those to your results by searching for the relevant genes or SNPs in your raw data at https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/

@Valentijn Thanks a lot for the information on SNPs, I will go through them.

Also do you think Its helpful if I order methylation pathway panel ?

The other thing is, I also felt little bit tired as the day goes and bit difficult to fall into sleep after started using B12 (compared to my original sleep and tiredness these are much much better and tolerable), do I need to add any other supplements for this ?

Also do you think Its helpful if I order methylation pathway panel ?
Maybe. It's expensive though.

The other thing is, I also felt little bit tired as the day goes and bit difficult to fall into sleep after started using B12 (compared to my original sleep and tiredness these are much much better and tolerable), do I need to add any other supplements for this ?
I wouldn't take B12 in the afternoon, since it can be a bit stimulatory.

I am taking B12 lozenges in the morning at 9am and keep it in my mouth until 11am. Folate is with empty stomach.

I will try lowering both of them and see if that helps. I need to order folate 400 or 800mcg and 2000/1000mcg b12.

@Valentijn regarding to the SNP info, you mentioned some of them with single letter (e.g only G) risk factor, if one of my two alleys has that letter, that means I had that mutation ?