• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and that wired feeling....

Timaca

Anyone else get a "wired but tired" feeling from taking B12? I haven't been taking much....not more than 250 mcg/day....but boy the wired feeling has hit me! And it seems the last time I had this (the wired feeling) was when I also tried B12!

It definitely causes cystic acne in me too.

Anyway, just wondering if other experience this. What is the reason that this occurs (if there is a relationship).

I need to take B12 as my levels are getting low (317) and I think I'm beginning to have some deficiency symptoms. But I sure don't like this wired feeling!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Timaca

I've been taking both kinds....in various kinds of supplements.... yesterday I took 2 drops of a liquid B12 (40 mcg per drop). It was cyanocobalamin. I have pretty bad "red alert" (what I call it) this morning. I *seem* to do okay with a small amount 16 mcg of methylcobalamin in 1 gummy of the Smarty Pants women's vitamin (I cut it in 4ths and take it throughout the day). However, today I'm not going to take anything and hope this calms down some! Ugh!

Sidereal

What I've found helpful is combining a tiny bit of niacin (25 mg) with B12 and other B vitamins that cause agitation. It puts a break on methylation. Too much niacin makes me completely crash of course. It's a balancing act.

Eastman

Personally, I cut back my B12 dosage to limit overstimulation. But I also mentioned Ben Lynch's recommendations in another thread.

It is important to prepare your cells and other biochemical pathways before stimulating them with methylfolate and methylcobalamin.

Following the lifestyle, dietary and environmental recommendations in the MTHFR Protocol post is a very important first step.

The next step is to begin with some basics – and these basics are as explained above:
  • electrolytes
  • glutathione
  • B vitamins (no B12 and no methylfolate)
  • multivitamin/multimineral (no B12 and no methylfolate – plus no Iron or Copper)
  • reducing stress by supporting lifestyle, diet and adrenals

Also, have you read this thread? It discusses the view that vitamin B2 and other nutrients may be needed during or prior to methylation.

Timaca

Personally, I cut back my B12 dosage to limit overstimulation. But I also mentioned Ben Lynch's recommendations in another thread.

Also, have you read this thread? It discusses the view that vitamin B2 and other nutrients may be needed during or prior to methylation.

Thank you Eastman. So B12 causes overstimulation in you? How much were you taking and how much did you cut back to?

I'm not trying to follow any protocol and I'm not familiar with methylation. I'm just trying to raise my serum B12 levels as I'm borderline deficient (and experiencing symptoms).

Thanks for your reply. It gave lots of info...

Timaca

What I've found helpful is combining a tiny bit of niacin (25 mg) with B12 and other B vitamins that cause agitation. It puts a break on methylation. Too much niacin makes me completely crash of course. It's a balancing act.
Sidereal~ So you find that B vitamins in general cause agitation for you?

Eastman

Thank you Eastman. So B12 causes overstimulation in you? How much were you taking and how much did you cut back to?

My daily dosage of mb12 was about 180 mcg applied transdermally, i.e. mixed in a body lotion and applied on the skin. I've cut this back to the same dosage but just twice a week.

Johnmac

Anyone else get a "wired but tired" feeling from taking B12? I haven't been taking much....not more than 250 mcg/day....but boy the wired feeling has hit me! And it seems the last time I had this (the wired feeling) was when I also tried B12!

It definitely causes cystic acne in me too.

Anyway, just wondering if other experience this. What is the reason that this occurs (if there is a relationship).

I need to take B12 as my levels are getting low (317) and I think I'm beginning to have some deficiency symptoms. But I sure don't like this wired feeling!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I had a fair bit of trouble sleeping when I first switched to the transdermal oil (methyl & adenosyl), presumably because of the much higher penetration, but after a month it settled down.