• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone improve by daily dose of coconut oil?

shannah

I was up to 9 tbsp a day and other than having difficulty digesting it and maybe gaining a few pounds, it did nothing unfortunately @Andrew

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I took it regularly for a few months and got worse - I read that some people can have problems with some compounds in it, and I assume I was one of them. I can't remember where I saw that, but I wish I'd read it before I tried it - I'd have recognised it as the culprit for my worsening earlier.

helperofearth123

I ate tons of the stuff for a few days in a row a few times with the aim of it being a 'bowel cleans'. I (as desired) got diarehea and afterwards found I could eat gluten again. But I may have already been able to I don't know as I had not tried it for a couple of years having been severely intolerant, but I thought I'd try it again after the 'cleanse' and it turned out ok so it's possible it was the coconut oil but not certain at all. I'm now (a year later almost) still repulsed by coconut oil as it was gross. Another reason I tried it was I heard it could help with chronic lyme which I thought I might still have, I've since given up on that diagnosis and accepted CFS/ME as the diagnosis.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Andrew - 1 -2 tablespoons a day was very effective for candida. I had a major herx reaction with the coconut oil and had to go slowly with it. But it did nothing for ME/CFS (PEM etc.)

aaron_c

Just to balance the horror stories--I eat it daily and have for a while. I haven't noticed a difference, I just eat it because I like it as a cooking oil (lowish temperature) and I have at times been sensitive to butter.

Yeah it doesn't do much. Significant quantities of it (2TBS+) alone will make me tired. I use small amounts of it to cook or lightly condition my hair though, useful for that.

student

No - not started this regular. I do take only - some coconut irregular. Like every 3.rd day...

I look here for your experience, while: Search for the verry good fat- eating strategy. And I plan to do that part regular.
Dr. Kuklinski – (German invironment medicin) advocats a radical low carb (an afull lot of minerals and vitamins ) diet.
which I do not follow. He has this - fatt plus... strategie
So I now- do take flax seed oil, more costly „irish“ butter (2 $), some coconut fatt (not so often), regular nuts... and and. (some lecitin). My urin labworks for "woodprotection" poisoning- measured high. Later - I will try more Cholstyramin detox.

Nothing specific for pain, but if a good fat, better than nothing!
It is not inflamatory as omega 6 can be, and gives energy, it regulates my sugar intake and so my glycemia.
I use a desodorized one, as I am fed up with the taste now, and also I think I digest it better.
I always have some with any carb, though I also use home made clarified butter.

Lazy Caveman

Another lazy caveman
Yes! ~50g per day of coconut milk does help I think, (contains 10g oil). I have it on muesli, with coffee, or in curry.
I find 1.5g fish oil, 2g flax seed, (also 1g evening primrose) plus 30g sesame tahini even better tho.
When I'm doing those I don't much miss the coconut.

Lazy Caveman

Another lazy caveman
I don't think the oils help individually so much in combination with other things. Oils are #3 on my list after carrot juice and mountains of cabbage or greens, and cranberries. Pork pate is somewhere up there too. So many foods! Sorry I'm losing count...