• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

16-page summer 2016 newsletter of Solve ME/CFS Initiative

AndyPR

From p.6 of newsletter
Dr Nahle said:
We DO know that a number of serious physiological changes underscore the disease, including
immunological, metabolic, neurological, and energy system defects, among others.

From p.7 of newsletter
Dr Nahle said:
"Healthcare practitioners should think long and hard about the practical implication of this study before recommending therapies involving neuromuscular strain like graded exercise therapy (GET) to their patients,” said Dr. Nahle,vice president for research and scientific programs at SMCI. “This work makes it clear that such strain does increase symptom intensity in chronic fatigue syndrome"

AndyPR

SMCI are looking for volunteers.

SMCI is looking for a few good women and men to make a difference in the ME/CFS community. Please check out the available volunteer positions below. This is a wonderful opportunity for patients—and especially friends and family of patients—to domeaningful work in the name of ME/CFS advocacy.

Humans of ME/CFS Project Editors (3-7 hours per week)
Do you correct your friends’ usage of “your” vs. “you’re” on Facebook? If so, we need you! We are looking for a few
good editors to review submissions and find the perfect words to promote awareness and understanding of ME/
CFS. This is work you can do at home and only requires a computer, MS Word, email, and a good eye for grammar
and written composition (see our Humans of ME/CFS web page here: www.homecfs.solvecfs.org).

Regional Resource Researchers (time commitment varies and is flexible)
As patients know, there are remarkably few resources available for patients with ME/CFS—and our files regarding knowledgeable doctors and local support groups need an update. We are looking for regional volunteers willing to explore their local community for resources to share with other ME/CFS patients. This important work is done remotely, wherever you live, and at your own pace. Volunteers will be asked to create as comprehensive a list as possible of local organizations, doctors, services, and offices that may prove helpful to new patients.

Film Screening Organizers (a one-time commitment of 10-15 hours)
As Laura Furey showed us (see story on page 12), film screenings that show the complexity and difficulty of ME/CFS can have a meaningful impact on your community.
We want to get a screening of patient Ryan Prior’s ground-breaking documentary The Forgotten Plague in every state
across America. With several hours of your time and the participation of friends and family, you can host a successful
screening too. The online Tuggs.com toolkit will give you everything you need, and SMCI will help you get the word
out and support you in your work.

If you’re interested in one of the volunteer positions listed above, or have questions, please email Advocacy and Engagement Manager Emily Taylor (etaylor@solvecfs.org) with your availability and contact information, making sure to list the position title that interests you in the subject line. Thank you for helping to give back to our ME/CFS community in this meaningful way