• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Problems With Shorter Chelation Rounds

cman89

So, I am currently experimenting with ALA chelation for the second time around, and mostly its been going ok, however, I have had some instances where I will start a round in the AM of one day, and make it to later night that same day, while having to stop the round due to feeling sleep deprived, etc...I wait a day or two, then try again. The doses are spaced evenly when I do indeed take them, but what sort of problems could be presented by shortened rounds like these (under 60 hours)? Is this potentially dangerous?

Johnmac

Ending a round of chelation results in redistribution of mercury (dumping it in a new place, after the ALA has removed it from the organ in which it was lodged & put it into circulation), regardless of how long the round. I'm not sure if shortened rounds are worse per se, or if the problem is more rounds = more redistribution. One of the chelation experts here will know. Failing that: the Yahoo chelation groups - which is the best place for chelation questions in general.

Ways to reduce side-effects from ALA chelation include lower doses, adding DMSA or DMPS, & (especially) making sure you are taking the suite of Cutler support supplements through the day.

cman89

Ending a round of chelation results in redistribution of mercury (dumping it in a new place, after the ALA has removed it from the organ in which it was lodged & put it into circulation), regardless of how long the round. I'm not sure if shortened rounds are worse per se, or if the problem is more rounds = more redistribution. One of the chelation experts here will know. Failing that: the Yahoo chelation groups - which is the best place for chelation questions in general.

Ways to reduce side-effects from ALA chelation include lower doses, adding DMSA or DMPS, & (especially) making sure you are taking the suite of Cutler support supplements through the day.
I might try to add in the DMSA, see if that is the trick.

caledonia

I'm working with my doc on this. So far I've been doing 24 hour rounds once a week. I'm dosing every two hours. I'm doing well with this. Just completed round #5.

I hear you on the sleep deprivation. It takes me a day or two to catch up after a round.

If you're not sleeping well during a round due to being stimulated, consider lowering your dose.

I'm doing 1.5mg of ALA. After several rounds of practice, I'm falling back asleep right away after a dose.

I have everything set up on my nightstand so I can feel in the dark for my pill, empty it into a glass, put in a pinch of mag to buffer, then a bit of water and slug it down. I have trouble swallowing pills, so this is what I came up with.

Johnmac

I'm working with my doc on this. So far I've been doing 24 hour rounds once a week. I'm dosing every two hours. I'm doing well with this. Just completed round #5.

I hear you on the sleep deprivation. It takes me a day or two to catch up after a round.

If you're not sleeping well during a round due to being stimulated, consider lowering your dose.

I'm doing 1.5mg of ALA. After several rounds of practice, I'm falling back asleep right away after a dose.

I have everything set up on my nightstand so I can feel in the dark for my pill, empty it into a glass, put in a pinch of mag to buffer, then a bit of water and slug it down. I have trouble swallowing pills, so this is what I came up with.

Yes, I forgot to mention that shorter rounds will also reduce redistribution. (ALA's half-life is about 3 hours.) Like Caledonia, I use two-hour doses & don't find them problematic. I do the full Cutler round of 3 or more days tho.

cman89

Yes, I forgot to mention that shorter rounds will also reduce redistribution. (ALA's half-life is about 3 hours.) Like Caledonia, I use two-hour doses & don't find them problematic. I do the full Cutler round of 3 or more days tho.
How do you deal with the nightime stuff? That is currently what is killing me....

Johnmac

How do you deal with the nightime stuff? That is currently what is killing me....

Sorry, I should have said more frequent dosing (not shorter rounds).

I mix my ALA in fruit juice in a bottle marked down the side with how much I should drink every 2 hours. I don't have any trouble waking to the alarm every 2 hours, drinking the dose, then going back to sleep. Takes me about a week to get sick of it, & need a break.

cman89

Sorry, I should have said more frequent dosing (not shorter rounds).

I mix my ALA in fruit juice in a bottle marked down the side with how much I should drink every 2 hours. I don't have any trouble waking to the alarm every 2 hours, drinking the dose, then going back to sleep. Takes me about a week to get sick of it, & need a break.
I wonder if you arent sleeping more overall than me though? Im abed around ten or eleven and up between five and six, so busting that up does not come with very good results later. I am really hurting on the days that my sleep is broken up by taking the ALA, even though I do think it is helping overall.