• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blurry Vision Anyone?

Daffodil

Hi All. I know there are some threads discussing this already....but lately I have had blurry vision. I already have a high prescription for myopia but I feel now like I cannot even focus up close.

I have a feeling that it might be related to my eye muscles being tired or maybe something to do with neuro inflammation...but its scaring me.

Sometimes, I am able to focus better and sometimes its like the muscles don't work. I am reluctant to go to doc and have them give me thicker glasses or bifocals.

I am not sure if I should find some kind of eye muscle exercises or not; maybe that will tire the muscles further instead of making them stronger, cuz of the CFS?

xoxo
Daffodil

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Hi All. I know there are some threads discussing this already....but lately I have had blurry vision. I already have a high prescription for myopia but I feel now like I cannot even focus up close.

I have a feeling that it might be related to my eye muscles being tired or maybe something to do with neuro inflammation...but its scaring me.

Sometimes, I am able to focus better and sometimes its like the muscles don't work. I am reluctant to go to doc and have them give me thicker glasses or bifocals.

I am not sure if I should find some kind of eye muscle exercises or not; maybe that will tire the muscles further instead of making them stronger, cuz of the CFS?

xoxo
Daffodil

I've had this issue since I first fell ill back in the mid-80s. It actually improved a bit in the nineties, but there's no doubt our eyesight is often affected, and as far as I'm aware, there is a muscle component to it. I'm not sure what else is involved. I know there was research on eyesight in ME, for diagnostic purposes. I think it's an area that needs more research. PEM often brings on the blurryness.

TrixieStix

xoxo
Daffodil
are you on any medications that can cause blurry vision as a side effect? this happened to me on Gabapentin. Also dry eyes can cause blurriness. Perhaps it would be worth it to see if eye drops improve it.

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
I get blurry vision sometimes when I'm extremely fatigued (as in, when I've been overextending myself irresponsibly).

Also, literally over the last few days I have had it happen as part of what looks a lot like acephalic migraines. Which I really am not thrilled about, since if I lose ability to read and write I might as well be a vegetable. :mad::cry:

In general, it could be some kind of neuropathy, or extreme muscle fatigue, or some combination of the two.

alicec

I have almost permanent blurred vision which has been steadily getting worse over the past year or so.

Too much time at the computer or too much book reading does make it a bit worse, as does just pushing myself too much in general.

However it is always there and for me, at least, it has nothing to do with eye function (which I get tested regularly because of glaucoma in the family), and only a little with muscle fatigue.

It seems to me that it is more about neuroinflammation. Currently I am trying increasing LDN to see if helps. Too early to say yet.

Daffodil

@TrishaMafia I haven't considered that it could be a side effect. I have been on antibiotics for years....I wonder if that could be affecting it.

Daffodil

I have almost permanent blurred vision which has been steadily getting worse over the past year or so.

Too much time at the computer or too much book reading does make it a bit worse, as does just pushing myself too much in general.

However it is always there and for me, at least, it has nothing to do with eye function (which I get tested regularly because of glaucoma in the family), and only a little with muscle fatigue.

It seems to me that it is more about neuroinflammation. Currently I am trying increasing LDN to see if helps. Too early to say yet.
that makes sense. lately. my brain fog has been tremendous..but a little different in quality than before. I wonder if its now related to ammonia levels rather than infection?

I edited a long letter for someone this morning. I had to force my brain to focus on something for a prolonged period of time. I felt so horrible after, I had to sleep 4 hours. I still feel horrible and its coming from my head.

me/cfs 27931

My variable vision can be quite annoying. Some days I'm fine, and some days I can barely read. Glasses help on bad days, but if I wear them more than an hour to two I get intense headaches.

I like that one @Silencio. It concludes:
The astounding thing is that these six smallish reviews and studies (probably) represent the sum total of observations on, or research into visual dysfunction in ME/CFS in the past 30 years, even though eye symptoms are a concern for a majority of patients.

And a couple more ME/CFS vision related links I've run across:

http://www.meresearch.org.uk/our-research/completed-studies/vision-related-symptoms/
http://www.fightingfatigue.org/visual-problems-with-mecfs/

TrixieStix

@TrishaMafia I haven't considered that it could be a side effect. I have been on antibiotics for years....I wonder if that could be affecting it.
It's worth considering. Look at the listed side effects in the medications paperwork and see if it is listed anywhere. If not listed as a common or uncommon side effect perhaps consider seeing an Opthamologist or a Neuro-Opthamologist.