• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Six strains of XMRV so far!

JillBohr

I know this has been mentioned/discussed in several other threads here but I can't remember where. I am still confused about the 4:1 female/male ratio that have ME/CFS. From this paper;

The low-activity, homozygous QQ RNase L genotype has a prevalence of 13% and does not act as a risk factor for prostate cancer in the general US population. Instead, the link to prostate cancer may be an androgen response element in the 5 untranslated region of XMRV [9]. A link to androgens does not fit with the 4:1 female-to-male ratio for CFS in the general population unless estrogen–or progesterone-related steroids can also activate this site.

Now, the part about...

unless estrogen–or progesterone-related steroids can also activate this site.

Do we know anything yet about how estrogen and progesterone and how it may work here?

It is so strange the similarities btwn autism and ME/CFS but the main difference is that the ration is 4:1 male/female ratio for autism is the exact opposite of the ratio for ME/CFS.

G

Gerwyn

I know this has been mentioned/discussed in several other threads here but I can't remember where. I am still confused about the 4:1 female/male ratio that have ME/CFS. From this paper;

Now, the part about...

Do we know anything yet about how estrogen and progesterone and how it may work here?

It is so strange the similarities btwn autism and ME/CFS but the main difference is that the ration is 4:1 male/female ratio for autism is the exact opposite of the ratio for ME/CFS.

I wonder if it is connected with androgens releasing XMRV from latency .if XMRV in situ acts as a gene(regulator) that may explain the ratios in ME. The autisms ratios vary with age.

JillBohr

I wonder if it is connected with androgens releasing XMRV from latency .if XMRV in situ acts as a gene(regulator) that may explain the ratios in ME. The autisms ratios vary with age.
Thank you Gerwyn but I still do not understand. Many of our kiddos with autism develop worse seizures during puberty. My son, for example, went from having absence seizures to grand mal seizures when he turned 10. So.... I think I do understand the male/ration in autism if XMRV is implicated in a subset of children with autism. However, I still do not understand the rational for the 4:1 female/male ratio in ME. Sorry if I do appear dense but I as I mentioned many times before, my forte is not in science. I am trying very hard to wrap my brains around this.

G

Gerwyn

Thank you Gerwyn but I still do not understand. Many of our kiddos with autism develop worse seizures during puberty. My son, for example, went from having absence seizures to grand mal seizures when he turned 10. So.... I think I do understand the male/ration in autism if XMRV is implicated in a subset of children with autism. However, I still do not understand the rational for the 4:1 female/male ratio in ME. Sorry if I do appear dense but I as I mentioned many times before, my forte is not in science. I am trying very hard to wrap my brains around this.

I find the ME easier to understand.If XMRV is acting as a gene manipulator when inserted.it does not do so when released from latency.At puberty boys start inceasing testestrone releasing active virus which no longer does its dirty work reducing considerably the incidence of ME in males.The increasing amount of free virus could be more neurotoxic possibly causing more seisure type problems. that is just my theory

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Nay sir, that is a speculation. Or, if you like, a hypothesis. But if you call that a theory I shall challenge you to a duel!

groundhogduel..jpg

G

Gerwyn

Nay sir, that is a speculation. Or, if you like, a hypothesis. But if you call that a theory I shall challenge you to a duel!

View attachment 2104

sir it appears that you are about to shoot yourself in the foot both literally and metaphorically.i do however grudgingly admitt that you are correct on this occassion.Everyone must be right on some occassions.for you sir this is an ecceedingly rare even.In fact sir dueling rodents armed with flintlocks is a much more common occurance​

JillBohr

sir it appears that you are about to shoot yourself in the foot both literally and metaphorically.i do however grudgingly admitt that you are correct on this occassion.Everyone must be right on some occassions.for you sir this is an ecceedingly rare even.In fact sir dueling rodents armed with flintlocks is a much more common occurance
I was going to say, "Are you talking to me?, Are you talking to me? I do not do theories nor speculate. I am a non-scientist and I just throw sh&@ against a wall and see what sticks. I wish scientists would try that method. We would move much faster and be well by now. Heee Heee. O.K. I have a strange laugh as well as strange methods.

flybro

I am a non-scientist and I just throw sh&@ against a wall and see what sticks. I wish scientists would try that method.

i thought thats what they were doing with the CFS/CBT clinics, throw evryone at it, and the ones that stick get to be part of a research cohort.

Problem is the pile on the ground is starting to obscure their aim.;)

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
sir it appears that you are about to shoot yourself in the foot both literally and metaphorically.i do however grudgingly admitt that you are correct on this occassion.Everyone must be right on some occassions.for you sir this is an ecceedingly rare even.In fact sir dueling rodents armed with flintlocks is a much more common occurance

I am quite satisfied that I was not forced to exterminate you on this occasion, as your speculation was a most intriguing bit of mildly educated speculation. But I do hope for your own sake, sir -- should we ever meet on the field of honor -- that you aim better than you spell.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Flybro you #!@$*d up my line! :Retro mad:

And stole the one I was going to use for Jill!! :Retro mad::D

G

Gerwyn

Flybro you #!@$*d up my line! :Retro mad:

And stole the one I was going to use for Jill!! :Retro mad::D

Sir i note that your spelling has much to be desired As for your grammar a line Sir a line...you have been keeping the company of too many rodents .of course if they happen to be your kin then I can imagine that you find that hard to avoid

citybug

Now, 30 years later after the initial discovery, 4 HTLVs are well established. HTLV-1 and HTLV-2 are both involved in actively spreading epidemics, affecting 15-20 million people worldwide.4 HTLV-1 is the more clinically significant of the two, as it has been proven to be the etiologic agent of multiple disorders. At least 500,000 of the individuals infected with HTLV-1 eventually develop an often rapidly fatal leukemia, while others will develop a debilitative myelopathy, and yet others will experience uveitis, infectious dermatitis, or another inflammatory disorder. HTLV-2 is associated with milder neurologic disorders and chronic pulmonary infections. The novel HTLV-3 and HTLV-4 have been isolated only in a few cases; no specific illnesses have yet been associated with these viruses.
Pathophysiology

HTLVs are intracellular proviruses that pass through formation of a "virological synapse", allowing the viral genome to be passed from one cell to another. Once infection has occurred, little replication takes place. Infection affects the expression of T-lymphocyte gene expression, leading to increased proliferation of affected T lymphocytes. HTLV primarily affects T lymphocytes: specifically, HTLV-1 predominantly affects CD4 lymphocytes, while HTLV-2 predominantly affects CD8 lymphocytes. In vitro, HTLV-1 is also capable of infecting other cell types, possibly accounting for the diverse pathogenesis of HTLV-1. Recently, GLUT-1, a ubiquitous glucose transporter, has been identified as a receptor for HTLV-15 ; this may explain its ability to infect various cell types.

note the mode of transfer cell to cell without having to enter the bloodstream.XMRV is thought to do the same

Is testing done these days on any of these by CFS doctors? Is HTLV2 a possiblity for some, or is it ruled out if you know more about it?

Re: the ratio: The men that I know with the disease are much more able to walk with more cognitive difficulties than the women I know. (I've been wishing there was a poll about that). Possibly men are underdiagnosed due to this? Also XMRV communicability through sperm would make more women susceptible to infection.

Enjoying the duel!

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Sir i note that your spelling has much to be desired As for your grammar a line Sir a line...you have been keeping the company of too many rodents .of course if they happen to be your kin then I can imagine that you find that hard to avoid

Sir, I shall avoid discussing matters of kinship with you, as you are a Welshman, and have the blood of ravished sheep coursing through your veins.

It is, alas, my unfortunate duty as a scientist to inform you of research that has been conducted in your land of ancestry:

Thursday, December 23, 2004

The Welsh Are Bastards

On current demographic trends, this statement will be true in another thirty years or so.

In 2003, Wales became the first constituent country of the United Kingdom where more than half of births (50.3 per cent) were outside marriage. Northern Ireland had the lowest proportion of births outside marriage (34.4 per cent), while in the United Kingdom as a whole 41.5 per cent of births were outside marriage.

The area of England with the lowest bastardy rate ? Swinging London (34.5%), where the large Asian and African (though not Caribbean) immigrant communities frown on illegitimacy. And the highest rate in England ? The hideously white North-East at 53.5%.

The graph on page 73 shows illegitimacy, after falling in the late 60s and early 70s (probably due to the advent of the contraceptive pill) rocketing in the Thatcher years, doubling between about 1983-1988. By the mid-1980s the working class were increasingly fragmenting, the underclass was burgeoning, and the song which reflected the traditional working class view of bastardy ceased to be heard on the football terraces of England.

Who's your father
Who's your father
Who's your father referee?
You ain't got one
You ain't lost one
You're a bastard, referee

Sir, I take no joy in this.

G

Gerwyn

Sir, I shall avoid discussing matters of kinship with you, as you are a Welshman, and have the blood of ravished sheep coursing through your veins.

It is, alas, my unfortunate duty as a scientist to inform you of research that has been conducted in your land of ancestry:
Sir you use the tactics of the gutter.Presumably you are quite at home at this level along with your fellow rodents

Adam

Sir you use the tactics of the gutter.Presumably you are quite at home at this level along with your fellow rodents

Gentlemen, gentlemen. Some decorum please!

Speciesism will not do. Sheep jokes and rodent jibes are beneath you both.

However, they are not beneath me.

From now on leave the gutter to those best placed to exploit it (plebs of my ilk, with a plethora of questionable material and an adequate supply of...no, I won't go there).

Daffodil

i think its the envelope proteins that are thought to be causing the inflammation and all the problems. they are working on a drug to target these proteins.

i also dont quite understand how drugs can work if the virus isnt replicating much. if it has integrated into the genome of a bunch of cells at a place that can trigger all these problems, how can we touch it then?

if we stop replication, do we have to wait for the body to eventually kill off most of the infected cells?

If we have 6 strains of XMRV so far, does this mean that current tests just pick up one strain and need to be improved?

Sorry for asking again but if we have 6 strains of XMRV does this mean that we need 6 different tests and that current tests miss 5?