• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Public perceptions towards ME/CFS and its sufferers

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum, apologies if I have posted it in the wrong thread.

I am a 4th year psychology student preparing a research dissertation into public attitudes towards (and perceptions of) ME/CFS and those who suffer from it. I have searched through multiple journals, research papers and various other sources and have been able to track down research into GPs attitudes (Bowen et al, 2005 for example) but I have not been able to find any research into attitudes of the general population.

I have had a CFS diagnosis since 2007, luckily I have only had three major attacks since that time, however the reactions of some people in my life at the time have led me to understand that there is not a lot of knowledge amongst the general population of ME/CFS and as such their attitudes towards sufferers fall back on the malingering stereotype that we are all familiar with (although interestingly some have been overly helpful, recommending homeopathic treatments and other alternative treatments).

Can I ask if the anyone is aware of any previous research into the attitudes or perceptions of the general population in regard to ME/CFS and those affected by it? Any information you have will be invaluable to my research.

Regards,

Stephen Jenkins BA

You can ask Leonard Jason. He has done some research into attitudes of health care workers towards patients. If there is some work on the attitudes of the general population towards the illness he will know.
Thanks A.B. I have emailed him, hopefully he can point me towards something :)

"You can't type this!" ;)

On a serious note you should be able to amend the title of the thread. In your original post you should have a "Thread tools" drop down menu with an "Amend title" option.

"Oh my AndyPR,
Thank you for helping me me
With a mind to learn and two typing hands."

Thanks, got it changed :)