• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Counter petition to the MEGA petition, brainstorming stage

BurnA

So I hope that those people who are wanting to simply strangle this proposal before it has even been properly finalised will think very carefully about what they are doing - especially if this is mainly because they disagree with the inclusion of certain specific researchers

I know @AndyPR has already commented on this but I'd like to too.
Thanks for the update and the additional information @charles shepherd

Nobody is attempting to strangle this. I think that is clear from the comments on this thread.
We are looking out for ourselves, which is prudent given past research involving White and Crawley. We welcome biomedical research but there us no justification for their involvement in ANY research into ME.

I am disappointed you don't object to their inclusion. This is a great opportunity to remove the pseudoscientists from ME research and it seems like it is an opportunity wasted.

slysaint

@charles shepherd
"The Norwegian Research Council just announced that there are 30 mill NOK available for ME-research. An English version of the article will arrive soon, according to their website.

Requirements for applications are that the Canadian criteria are used, exclusion of patients with other explanations of fatigue (such as psychological illnesses), objective measures of interventions, research which might lead to a biomarker, applications building on existing knowledge. National and/or international cooperation across professions is important and will be regarded as positive.

They are asking for applications on
1 Aetiology
2 Treatment
3 Identification and prognosis
4 Care and follow-up
"

This is the kind of clarity that is needed.

charles shepherd

@charles shepherd
"The Norwegian Research Council just announced that there are 30 mill NOK available for ME-research. An English version of the article will arrive soon, according to their website.

Requirements for applications are that the Canadian criteria are used, exclusion of patients with other explanations of fatigue (such as psychological illnesses), objective measures of interventions, research which might lead to a biomarker, applications building on existing knowledge. National and/or international cooperation across professions is important and will be regarded as positive.

They are asking for applications on
1 Aetiology
2 Treatment
3 Identification and prognosis
4 Care and follow-up
"

This is the kind of clarity that is needed.

Everyone agrees that we need a biomarker, or more likely a set of biomarkers, that will help to sub-group (both clinical and pathological) all the people who come under the ME/CFS umbrella, and possibly even wider (i.e. chronic unexplained fatigue)

But if you are going to find these biomarkers for, say, Ramsay described or London defined ME, then you need to be sure that this biomarker, or biomarkers - as with a pattern of metabolic differences that have recently been suggested - is NOT also found in people with chronic undiagnosed fatigue, healthy controls, people with other conditions involving severe fatigue (e.g. multiple sclerosis) and (at some stage) people with psychiatric conditions such as depression.

So in this type of 'big data' study, looking for biomarkers, you have to include a wide spectrum of people who come under the ME/CFS umbrella

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Esther Crawley has only ever been a part of the problem for PWME. Children who don't engage in the harmful therapies she tries to force upon them and their parents are diagnosed by her as having pervasive refusal syndrome, which is just a fancy phrase for not doing what Esther says, or having the effrontery not to get better.

The question of why is she there, why are researchers (I won't say "other researchers") prepared to work with her, has not been addressed, although it has been posed very directly by numerous pwme in the past few days.

I appreciate that the good researchers don't have the power to boot her out on her arse, but if just one of them would express concern about her inclusion on behalf of pwme, just once, it would be so encouraging.

Chrisb

The suggestion seems to be that we must wait until the proposal has been properly finalised and then either support it in its entirety or try to strangle it. Take it or leave it, in other words.

A.B.

You know @charles shepherd, such a study is well and good. Every disease group should receive the same respect and we need diagnostic markers and good treatments for all of them regardless of whether they have PEM or not.

It would be wrong to leave one disease/patient group behind.

I then wonder why White and Crawley are included (given the evasive answers, most likey in important positions), when these two people are guilty of exactly this. Lumping all patients together, ensuring that many would get totally inappropriate treatments.

At this point I don't really care about this study. It would be nice to have a good biomedical study like this, but only if it's done properly and there is no risk of it becoming yet another tool for oppressing patients.

I have no doubt the other researchers have the best intentions and are competent, but if they are advised by the BPS lobby, they could be misled and end up harming us.

Last edited:

charles shepherd

The suggestion seems to be that we must wait until the proposal has been properly finalised and then either support it in its entirety or try to strangle it. Take it or leave it, in other words.

NO!

I am NOT suggesting a take it or leave it approach

Please go back and read what I have said!

I am suggesting that the concerns, criticisms and questions that are being made here (and elsewhere) are put directly to the Board of the CMRC BEFORE things go any further in the form of an open letter - rather than in the form of a petition

People on this forum have been discussing these criticisms and concerns at enormous length for the past few days and people clearly have a list of key points that they want to see addressed

So what I am suggesting is that instead of doing so in the form of a petition (which may have very little effect) people agree on what you want to say and ask (as would be placed in a petition)

You could also ask people to sign/endorse it - rather like a petition

And then send this open letter to the Board of the CMRC…...

CS

trishrhymes

Everyone agrees that we need a biomarker, or more likely a set of biomarkers, that will help to sub-group (both clinical and pathological) all the people who come under the ME/CFS umbrella, and possibly even wider (i.e. chronic unexplained fatigue)

But if you are going to find these biomarkers for, say, Ramsay described or London defined ME, then you need to be sure that this biomarker, or biomarkers - as with a pattern of metabolic differences that have recently been suggested - is NOT also found in people with chronic undiagnosed fatigue, healthy controls, people with other conditions involving severe fatigue (e.g. multiple sclerosis) and (at some stage) people with psychiatric conditions such as depression.

So in this type of 'big data' study, looking for biomarkers, you have to include a wide spectrum of people who come under the ME/CFS umbrella

I think if there were unlimited funds available this would be a laudable aim. However, I am concerned that realistically we won't get any more money than PACE got, say £6 million. This means £500 per patient to recruit, staff, carry out the tests in all those laudable biomedical areas - genome, metabolome etc, do questionnaires, data entry data analysis etc. Since the metabolomics study done by Naviaux cost about $1000 per patient just to do the metabolomics tests, and the OMF/Ron Davis doing a wider range of tests in depth for 20 seriously affected patients costs $20,000 per patient, I can't see how this proposed study can possibly do the depth of study needed to elucidate real differences between all these different fatigue groups. Why not be more realistic - study in depth, say, 200 really well diagnosed ME patients, and 200 healthy matched controls, and 200 people with less well defined fatigue.
Also the use of referees to ME clinics leaves out long term sufferers and the severely effected, who have long ago given up on these 'services'. And the fact that most of these clinics are run by psychs means they could preselect patients to subvert the system.
I really do want good biomedical research, and the scientists listed sound excellent. My argument is not with them.

Edit: By scientists, I mean biomedical researchers, not biopsychosocial clowns like Crawley, Wessley and White.

Last edited:

eafw

This statement will be going up on the MEA website later today:

Thank you for this Charles,

those at the CMRC (CFS/ME Research Collaborative) who are involved in preparing what is probably going to be the largest ever research grant application relating to ME/CFS here in the UK

I think the worry of many here is who exactly are "those who are involved" and what biases are they bringing ?

And, speaking for myself here, this Big Data is all very interesting (I mean seriously it is, from a theoretical point of view) - we really do need these sort of biomedical studies to be done - but we also need the issues regarding NICE/PACE research to be adressed as a matter of urgency too.

The CMRC need to stop sweeping that aspect under the carpet. They can't ask on one hand for patient collaboration (like suddenly we're all best friends now ?) while pretending that there is no politics involved, that there is no history here of serious abuse of the patient population by researchers and the establishment, that they still aren't slandering us in their charter as "harrassers" and so on.

I don't want to see good research or good researchers thwarted in any way whatsoever, but someone needs to spell it out to the CMRC/MEGA that it would help **a lot** if they showed a bit more regard for us and our situation. They show some genuine understanding and respect and get us on board, and they will suddenly find themselves with a hightly motivated and committed patient population willing to support them too.

Chrisb

@charles shepherd

thank you for your last post clarifying the position. I appreciate the difficulties of the situation and that you will feel to be bearing the brunt of attacks that are aimed elsewhere.

I promise that I had read what you said. It concerned me that whilst extolling the merits, which have not here been questioned, of various renowned scientists, no mention was made of others and the roles which they are to play, or the influence which they may have, in this proposed research. This rather had the appearance of selective reporting.

If I erred it was in giving too much weight to one remark you made, and too little to another-but the matter is now clearer.

eafw

However, I am concerned that realistically we won't get any more money than PACE got, say £6 million.

I think they will get significantly more money than that. This is a big reason why they (the researchers) are so excited about it. "Big data" is very trendy and a great way to further their careers at this point. They will all go off and fiddle about with this for 5, 10 years (goodness knows how long) and we might get some theories emerging in terms of the illness which may or may not translate into treatments.

In principle I don't object to this work being done but I think it needs to be made more clear that it is a long term theoretical exercise, not a short term or clinical one - and the research collaborative really do need to acknowledge the urgent problems that exist for patients in the UK right now, so should, in addition to their MEGA schemes, be looking for or supporting short-term fixes in terms of NICE and pulling GET/CBT/BPS from current clinical practices as well.

snowathlete

Thanks Charles for your statement.

If you are happy with the final research proposal then there will obviously be ways of expressing public support

If not there will be ways of saying so as well!

My bolding. I think it was poor that a petition asking for support was launched when it doesn't allow dissenting opinion to have a voice. If the project wants patient input it has to accept both sides, not just the kind it hopes to get.

So I hope that those people who are wanting to simply strangle this proposal before it has even been properly finalised will think very carefully about what they are doing - especially if this is mainly because they disagree with the inclusion of certain specific researchers

I don't think there are many that want to strangle it. I understand why you and others might mistakenly have got that opinion but I think it's wrong. Primarily the concerns are about the people involved, because of their track record and the harm they have caused the community and their research practices, and their attempts to weaken patient voice. There are some secondary concerns, perhaps, about decisions relating to the research and also about the taking advantage of patients by asking them to endorse something at a stage when they clearly have not been given enough information to make a proper informed choice.

The primary issue is the researchers involved and I think patients have every right to object to that in its current form. And I predict they will if it is not resolved. I also feel let down by the MEA and other charities for not objecting to those involved being involved. I know the reply may be that the baby should not be thrown out with the bath water, but I think that is just dismissive of the point because it is convenient to dismiss it. The truth is, to 99% of the community people like White and Crawley are terrible at research, they don't meet basic standards, there are concerns over the ethics of their work and their attitudes toward patients. No one should be supporting their involvement, least of all charities who represent patients.

If people want to express concerns, criticisms, or have questions to ask, then I suggest that this should be done in the form of an open letter to the Board of the CMRC, which could be signed by anyone expresing such concerns, rather than a petition

The problem is Charles, patients do not trust the CMRC and it includes some of the people patients are complaining about, so they cannot be impartial over the matter. It's hardly going to achieve the result patients want is it, so such an effort would as you suggest would be pointless. If a letter is sent, I would think it would need to go to the funders the petition is aimed at influencing.

Of course you would prefer for it to go to the CMRC, your concern is that a petition (or a letter to funders) would put the funders off and the research might not happen. I agree that is a risk and it is not really what patients want to do. But then again, the reality is that patients are in a position where they are being told to either not support potential good research because an appalling choice of people are involved, or put up with it. I think that is a poor deal for patients and the fact the CMRC and charities are presenting that as the option concerns me and suggests that the interests of patients are not central to this research. They think they know better than patients, what is best for them. I find that attitude very concerning. If that is the case then I think such research is unlikely to be very good.

At the heart of it, we need to get away from a situation where patients are told what is going to happen in research and don't get a real say. What we need is a situation where the obvious problem and insult of people like White and Crawley being involved, is not allowed to happen in the first place. I think it showed great nativity and a lack of principles from the CMRC and the charities to put patients in this position in the first place.

snowathlete

I am especially concerned to learn that this research will involved children. Crawley is presumably considered the expert on that part. Her research on children is of ethical concern. What other pediatric experts will be involved @charles shepherd? I'd like to see a child safety expert involved to ensure they are not exploited or misled in any way.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Communication doesn’t seem to be working very well at the moment does it? Perhaps we could have a Patient Representative we trust to help us communicate our concerns?

Oh, sorry, we’ve got one, Sonya Chowdhury, head of the charity PWME trust the least - AFME (no offence to AYME in case they were going for that coveted title), because AFME has repeatedly shown itself to be a front for the BPS brigade.

The only communication at the moment is having to go “around” Chowdhury, all she’s done so far is failed to prevent a gremlin putting their foot on the cable during Dr Zaher Nahle’s “No Spin” presentation, which I would have loved to watch.

If Chowdhury is the best MEGA can offer, then PWME are basically unrepresented. A prerequisite for the position of Patient Representative should be that it’s someone the patients trust. Chowdhury isn’t it.

Can we have a bit less of the “scaring off researchers” and “people who simply want to strangle this proposal” please? Anything that even hints at the vexatious patient narrative should be scrutinized closely, whichever quarter it comes from.

ME research in the UK has a history, and there’s no point pretending it doesn’t. That history is 30 years of neglect and abuse, so PWME are likely to be pretty vigilant about any new research that affects them, and want to subject the researchers and projects to considerable scrutiny. We are generally pretty appreciative of our heroes – Ron Davis, the Norwegians, Tuller and others. If any researchers have a problem with addressing the concerns of PWME, they’ll just have to grow some and get over it instead of calling the patients scary or baby-stranglers.

Of course we can’t expect to vote on personnel or decide on details of the research, but when we are presented with a team including the very people who have historically been responsible for our continued suffering and have shown no recent signs of changing their colours, in fact quite the reverse, no-one can be surprised at the patient reaction, especially when “patient involvement” seems to be just an empty soundbite, that so far has only consisted of a “please sign this so we can prove how great you all think we are”.

Whilst a desire to simply strangle might be enough to motivate some people (hopefully not anyone I know) there also seem to be quite a few valid reasons for preferring this research not to go ahead as it currently stands, as detailed by posters in this thread, including structure, personnel, how much can be achieved with X amount of money for 12,000 participants, how many years will it swallow up all research money for …

However, when it comes to the aims and objectives of the research, there are some serious misunderstandings and inaccuracies being circulated on the internet as to how this 'big data' is going to be collected, analysed and used. This is NOT a treatment trial in any sense of the word and it has nothing to do with PACE, CBT or GET.

Such serious misunderstandings are not helped by the second paragraph of the petition:

We are trying to understand more about the biology of the chronic neurological condition, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E., often diagnosed within the NHS as chronic fatigue syndrome or M.E./CFS). If we do this, we think we may be able to develop new treatments. We also think we may be able to target treatments more effectively for those that will benefit.

So far, in trying to get a response to their legitimate concerns, PWME seem to have been banging their heads against a wall. The main concerns at the moment are about the personnel, and they are not being answered. To go on to discussions of the wonderful technology, diagnostic criteria of groups to be studied etc is putting the cart before the horse – what are White and Crawley doing there?

Did the Wellcome Trust insist that their BPS mates in the SMC who share the same roof are represented on the team as a condition for considering the grant? Pardon the speculation, but if there’s no transparency or communication then that’s what happens.

And if the good scientists on the team are so keen to play with their new toys that they are prepared to overlook the history of abuse that some of their new colleagues are responsible for and the dangers of having such people involved, then patients aren't, sorry.