• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peter White "retiring from research at the end of this year"

Sidereal

Update to Alliance membership
M.E./CFS Epidemiology and Genomics Alliance (MEGA)
United Kingdom
3 OCT 2016 — Two members of the Alliance have retired from the group: Simon Collins, University of Bristol, will be changing universities; Prof Peter White, Queen Mary University, London, is retiring from research at the end of this year and will have an advisory role.

We will be launching a series of blogs this week from MEGA members outlining why they joined MEGA and what their expertise and field/discipline has to offer.

Two down, one to go. Crawley is still there.

A.B.

Reposting this here since it's the right place:

White retiring from research is good news, but as advisor [to the MEGA study] he can still do a lot of damage. That the MEGA team continues to collaborate with White suggests they do not understand key issues.

It is unacceptable that they continue to collaborate with a fraudster that has exploited patients to advance his own interests. See PACE.

Both Crawley and White orchestrated a smear campaign against patients critical of their work. The tribunal hearing in the ICO vs QMUL case showed that the accusations of death threats and harassment were baseless. Legitimate criticism and requests for data were conflated with harassment - this only served the purpose of protecting bad science produced by the BPS lobby from being exposed.

They have repeatedly demonstrated their incompetence in matters of research, producing one flawed study after another, wasting resources and producing nothing of value for patients.

Research is moving towards democratisation. White and Crawley are despised by patients and need to go.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Hmmmm!

After a bad night I want to check if brain is in gear. Did I just read that that Collins is resigning and WHITE is retiring from research later this year? .....but will retain an ADVISORY ROLE? Excellent if he is really leaving, but we don't want him advising on anything ME as the man has been a disaster for us. He is very fortunate, after all the harm he has caused to this patient population, if he can just drift off into the sunset.........preferably not an English sunset.

I'm going to make another black coffee and read it again................

Brain kicking in...........CRAWLEY is still there. I am still not signing.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
"Retiring and will have an advisory role" isn't quite the same as "being flung out on his ear". Doesn't "have an advisory role" mean the same as "become a shadowy figure in the background"? Sir Simon had an advisory role on appointments.

Chrisb

Have the PR advisors (that is the people they listen to, not us) completely lost the plot? For the "Alliance" the only way to restore trust is a "clean break".

This must mean either that he has something they need or that he continues to pull the strings.

Justin30

What would be great is to see that GET did infact cause decline in a substantial cohort of patients.

Maybe a well drafted document sent to all patients that were treated with GET and those that were recommended to do GET and significantly declined.

Remember other than the UK thats has guidlines and Drs and Nurses outline and walking patients through the processes no other countries had this yet recommended the treatment.

I hope that our ME organizations could draft this document and have it sent out through Drs and Universities asking ME DXed patients as well as online groups to sign if they declined after this therapy as "IT IS NOT A TREATMENT" for a biological disease.

I would hope that this could be sent out to all the top Drs in the US and abroad as well as ME patients in the UK.

This would essentially help in showing what all of us know that GET is a treatment not clearly defined on how to use it and reaulted in permanent and deadly in some cases.

This would just show thay Peter White and his colleagues should be nowwhere around or engaged with this community whatsoever.

His retirement smells really bad as all the data coming out about PACE and as an advisor this may just be a way for him to slowly slide away from this community without facing reprecutions for influencing the world through a study that as people have reviewed show just how bad the science was.

To much harm and messy inhumane things reside around ME and this denialist behaviour needs to stop.

Aurator

"Retiring from research"? Did he ever do any genuine research to retire from?

As others have suggested, all he's retiring from is a position where he would be especially vulnerable to the backlash he's earned and can see coming his way.

The "advisory role" bit clearly means a role that will allow him to safely influence policy without appearing to be responsible for doing so.

snowathlete

The end of the year cannot come soon enough. I wish he'd quit before he'd started. White has no valuable advice to offer. His career is a failure when looked at from a patient perspective. I dare say from White's personal perspective, and for others who share his special interests, his career is looked on as a great success, but that is a different matter. The research does not benefit from his involvement in any way, it only brings it into disrepute.

Same with Crawley.