• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diarrhea.

Fuzzyhead

I started 10 days ago with diarrhea, stomach cramps and the first few days i was achey. It's showing no sign of going back to normal but the achiness has gone. I am fine in between bowel movements but going about 7 times a day and when i need to go i get stomach cramps. Took a stool sample in yesterday but i am scared to eat too much because i know i will be never off the toilet if i eat normally. No nausea. Anyone else had this?

PennyIA

I've had a lot of bouts of it over the last 7-ish years (I've had undiagnosed ME/CFS for 10 years).

Please, please make sure that not only are you drinking a lot of water (which I was good about) that you also consider getting electrolyte support as well (I did poorly on that side and now have lots of issues related to potassium and magnesium deficiencies).

That said? It's a bit better now. I seem to be able to track my episodes with either a food trigger or my menstrual cycle. I haven't done the full elimination diet and sometimes I sneak a tiny bit of something that I know I can't tolerate in a regular serving size... sometimes I can get away with a tiny bit, sometimes I sneak a bit more and pay the penalty.

Right now things I know will trigger it - gluten, dairy, fried or high fat foods; again, a tiny nibble seems ok - but I am not always good about it and sometimes I eat more than I should. I can always tell within 20 minutes and it seems like 5-6 trips to the bathroom within an hour or two are my penalties.

I don't know if there is a placebo effect, but it *seems* like there are times where I am in the middle of an episode and I apply a heating pad to my lower back that it slows it down and/or shuts it down. Again, it might be in my head... but I start applying heat now after my second trip to the bathroom with a loose stool and typically I think I have fewer trips afterwards. If it's not really helping slow it down, at least it seems to ease some of the cramping when I have it.

leela

I just recently had a ten-day bout of extreme diarrhea. It was very depleting, and I dunno if it was coincidence or not, but it stopped when I took a single dose of Bragg's apple cider vinegar 2TBS in some water. ( I mention Bragg's because I think it is the beneficial bacteria in the kind with the "mother" that is helpful.)

The waterbutt stopped, but a few days later I had a prolonged bout of extreme vertigo and nausea, with intermittent bouts of diarrhea again. This led me to suspect inflammation of the vagus nerve had caused both. Just a theory, I don't really know.

TigerLilea

I started 10 days ago with diarrhea, stomach cramps and the first few days i was achey. It's showing no sign of going back to normal but the achiness has gone. I am fine in between bowel movements but going about 7 times a day and when i need to go i get stomach cramps. Took a stool sample in yesterday but i am scared to eat too much because i know i will be never off the toilet if i eat normally. No nausea. Anyone else had this?
Have you recently been on any antibiotics?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Has your doctor requested several stool samples? You may have an infection or a parasite and usually three stool samples taken on three different days are useful. They need to be taken to the lab when they are fresh.

You should be in touch with your doctor to monitor your diet to get you through this. The usual advice is clear fluids for 24 hours (electrolyte replacement drink, chicken or beef broth, dilute apple juice). The following day you can add bananas, rice, applesauce and toast or crackers. If you are craving some protein then some white chicken meat might be OK.

If you still have diarrhea after giving your colon a rest with the above diet then you really need to be seen by a doctor.