• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clinical challenges in the diagnosis and management of POTS

Kati

Patient in training
Clinical challenges in the diagnosis and management of postural tachycardia syndrome

Jones PK1, Shaw BH2, Raj SR3.

Author information
  • 1Department of Neurology, UT Health Science Center San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
  • 2Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada.
  • 3Department of Cardiac Sciences, Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27660311

Abstract

Postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a multifactorial clinical syndrome defined by an increase in heart rate of ≥30 bpm on standing from supine position (or ≥40 bpm in children).

It is associated with symptoms of cerebral hypoperfusion that are worse when upright and improve when in supine position.

Patients often have additional symptoms including severe fatigue and difficulty concentrating.

There are several possible pathophysiologic mechanisms including hypovolaemia, small-fibre peripheral neuropathy and hyperadrenergic states.

POTS can also be associated with several disorders including mastocytosis, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (hypermobility type) and autoimmune disorders.

The treatment is focused on symptom relief and not solely on reducing tachycardia.

Given its varying presentations, it is important to employ a practical, mechanism-focused approach to the diagnosis and management of POTS.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Now that's exciting news! :confused: When is someone going to come up with something new and useful in the management of POTS, and maybe even look upstream for causal factors?:( I know that there are some hypotheses that are interesting but basically POTS patients have been treated with the same "control symptom" protocols for ever and ever.

Kati

Patient in training
Now that's exciting news! :confused: When is someone going to come up with something new and useful in the management of POTS, and maybe even look upstream for causal factors?:( I know that there are some hypotheses that are interesting but basically POTS patients have been treated with the same "control symptom" protocols for ever and ever.
Dr Raj at University of Calgary, is one of the authors of this paper and is doing a study on auto-antibodies in POTS patients. I will be following his work

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Dr Raj at University of Calgary, is one of the authors of this paper and is doing a study on auto-antibodies in POTS patients. I will be following his work
Now that would be interesting! Is this the same Dr. Raj who used to be at Vanderbilt?