• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My legs ache when I fast / detox - why?

Bansaw

The backs of my legs (typically my calves) ache when I do a fast or detox.
I am currently on a "Daniel fast" which is basically vegetables, fruit and water for ten days. Since starting it, the backs of my legs ache (mostly in bed at night) and sometimes keeps me awake.

Am I detoxing something, or is my body lacking something to cause this ache?
It only seems this part of my body does this.
In the past when I was fitter and healthier I did water-only fasts, and for three days I got this achy leg symptom at night, but after the 3rd day it went away and I felt good.

Any ideas?

PennyIA

One of my chronic pain spots is my left calf. It's worse when I eat gluten or when I over do it. I don't attempt to fast nor detox... BUT, in case it helps... I've found that epsom salt baths are the only things that help it. I also take potassium supplements through doctor Rx for diagnosed deficiency. I think I'm also magnesium deficient (tests aren't showing it but I think that's because of the epsom salt baths).

I've tried taking magnesium supplements because I'm not really fond of taking baths, but to date I haven't found one that I can tolerate.

I figure it's a fairly inexpensive test and shouldn't be harmful, for you to try to take an epsom salt bath and see if it helps at all. If it does, you might have your doctor test you for deficiencies in common minerals (or electrolytes).

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
(1) "Detoxing" is altmed mumbo-jumbo.
(2) Unless recommended by an experienced physician, what you call "Daniel fast" is likely to do more harm than good to a sick person.

Mary

Moderator Resource

Bansaw

Hi @Bansaw again - I've been thinking, I do get muscle spasms when I'm in low in potassium but I just realized that I think thiamine or B1 deficiency in particular can cause aching in calf muscles. See http://www.stewartnutrition.co.uk/nutritional_emergencies/acute_thiamine_deficiency.html

And actually it's when I crash that my calves ache the most, apparently due to a lactic acid buildup.

So it's possible your fasting induces a B1 deficiency - maybe --
thanks Mary. Just now, thinking about it, the aching legs actually get better after the 3rd day. Its day 1,2 & 3 that they ache a lot. Logically, if it is a deficiency, then it follows that the ache would remain or even get worse. I wonder why it gets better?
My theory is that something is being stored up in my muscles and being released when I "fast", maybe lactic acid as you theorise.
That link on Thaimine deficiency is interesting...

Tammy

I would say your body is cleansing..........which can stir up toxins, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating just fruits and vegetables and water only. You are doing your body a favor by allowing the liver to help get rid of a lot of crap. I will say this though...........make sure you are getting enough calories. When I switched my diet to mostly veggies and fruit..........the cleansing process was miserable at first unless I got enough calories. My body is doing MUCH better on fruits and veggies with a little bit of GF grains and a little fat. I would make sure to include a lot of leafy greens for the sodium to be in balance with the potassium in the fruits. I don't encourage water fasts for people who are ill. It puts too much stress on the adrenals.

Glycon

I would say your body is cleansing..........which can stir up toxins, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating just fruits and vegetables and water only. You are doing your body a favor by allowing the liver to help get rid of a lot of crap.

(1) "Cleansing" is another bit of altmed mumbo-jumbo.
(2) There ABSOLUTELY is something wrong with eating just fruits and vegetables. This is why vegans (even ones not suffering from chronic illnesses) need to take supplements and have their blood tested regularly.
(3) This isn't how liver works.

Bansaw

I would say your body is cleansing..........which can stir up toxins, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating just fruits and vegetables and water only. You are doing your body a favor by allowing the liver to help get rid of a lot of crap. I will say this though...........make sure you are getting enough calories. When I switched my diet to mostly veggies and fruit..........the cleansing process was miserable at first unless I got enough calories. My body is doing MUCH better on fruits and veggies with a little bit of GF grains and a little fat. I would make sure to include a lot of leafy greens for the sodium to be in balance with the potassium in the fruits. I don't encourage water fasts for people who are ill. It puts too much stress on the adrenals.
Thanks. I don't do water fasts anymore because they really are difficult for my body now.
When I did a "Daniel Fast" a few years ago I felt I had more mental clarity, slept better. I am getting sufficient calories I think. I dont think Vegan is the way to go long term. My doctor (who is pretty cutting edge) says she sees a lot of Vegans with chronic health issues.
For fats I am using avocado oil to cook with, and olive and coconut oil. I know fats are important.
Grains, - none yet.
Maybe 10 days, maybe 21 days every few months might be ideal.
I am 5 days into a 10 day Daniel.

Tammy

(1) "Cleansing" is another bit of altmed mumbo-jumbo.
(2) There ABSOLUTELY is something wrong with eating just fruits and vegetables. This is why vegans (even ones not suffering from chronic illnesses) need to take supplements and have their blood tested regularly.
(3) This isn't how liver works.
First off...................she's talking about a 10 day cleanse. Second...............there are MANY healthy vegans out there. I would surmise that people both vegans and meat eaters need to be taking supplements seeing as how nutrient deficient our food supply is. I do find it compelling that Bansaw said she had more mental clarity and slept better.

The liver has MANY functions.........not sure what you meant by the liver doesnt' work that way. It is a major detoxifier........but can't work efficiently if it's clogged up due to diet and other factors.

Last edited:

Glycon

First off...................she's talking about a 10 day cleanse. Second...............there are MANY healthy vegans out there. I would surmise that people both vegans and meat eaters need to be taking supplements seeing as how nutrient deficient our food supply is. I do find it compelling that Bansaw said she had more mental clarity and slept better.

The liver has MANY functions.........not sure what you meant by the liver doesnt' work that way. It is a major detoxifier........but can't work efficiently if it's clogged up due to diet and other factors.

First off, read this. And this.

Second, maybe reread what I said, since it has nothing to do with whether there are any healthy vegans (of course there are, but that is irrelevant). Also, "cleansing" (as in "detoxification") is altmed quackery, regardless of the duration or the method:
Real detoxification isn’t ordered from a menu of alternative health treatments, or assembled from ingredients in your pantry. Actual detoxification is provided in hospitals under life-threatening circumstances — usually when there are dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or other poisons in the body.
There’s no published evidence to suggest that detox treatments, kits or rituals have any effect on our body’s ability to eliminate waste products effectively. They do have the ability to... distract and confuse people about how the body actually works and what we need to do to keep it healthy. “Detox” focuses attention on irrelevant issues, giving the impression that you can undo lifestyle decisions with quick fixes... Our kidneys and liver don’t need a detox treatment. If anyone suggests a detox or cleanse to you, remember that you’re hearing a marketing pitch for an imaginary condition.

Third, if you find a single testimonial from a single layperson who is by her own admission puzzled by and uncertain about some aspects of all this, then I'm probably wasting my time writing this message.

Last edited:
Second...............there are MANY healthy vegans out there.
Yes, and they stay healthy only by taking the necessary supplements. Vegans do not get natural B12 in their diet - it only comes from meat and pills. The vast majority of sources of vegetarian protein also do not include all of the amino acids which we need.

Veganism is not a natural diet for humans, and it requires some careful planning to compensate for that.

Tammy

Yes, and they stay healthy only by taking the necessary supplements. Vegans do not get natural B12 in their diet - it only comes from meat and pills. The vast majority of sources of vegetarian protein also do not include all of the amino acids which we need.

Veganism is not a natural diet for humans, and it requires some careful planning to compensate for that.
Even people who eat lots of meat can have B12 deficiency.......hmmmmmm. More to the story of B12 deficiency. Both vegans and non-vegans may need to supplement with B12 due to a myriad of reasons.

Last edited:

Glycon

Even people who eat lots of meat can have B12 deficiency.......hmmmmmm. More to the story of B12 deficiency. Both vegans and non-vegans may need to supplement with B12 due to a myriad of reasons.

Yeah, except the reason vegans need to do so is their veganism! :cool: