• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Solve ME/CFS Initiative webinar with Dr Unger

Bob

I had considered creating a transcript of this one but considering the poor reception that those who listened to it in real time gave it I'm not sure it's worth it. If there is enough interest though then I'll do it.
Have I missed a thread on this when it was live?

Bob

Just listened to this. Nothing much of interest. Nothing new.
Some basic publications in the pipeline but nothing soon.

The study's methodology will be published first and has been submitted but it will be a few months before publication.

A couple of promising snippets...

@ 47:00
Unger says CBT is not a treatment; It does not change the illness.
May help some people get some control over their illness.

@ 49:00
Unger says fatigue might not be best measure of illness; she says what changes is function, not fatigue.
She says when patients improve they will work up to their previous level of fatigue.
(i.e. she means that patients can manage their fatigue levels by controlling their levels of activity.)
So function is a better measure of illness.

Nothing spectacular but I think the above snippets indicate that there is at least some understanding of the illness.

mango

Ugh, I'm still working on the transcript of this, for those who still might have some interest. Fingers crossed I might have it done tomorrow, if I don't it'll be another week or so as we are going away. Sorry if there is anybody waiting on it.

No worries! Take your time :) I don't mind waiting, it's honestly no problem at all :)

Kharren

Hopeful opptomist
Just listened to this. Nothing much of interest. Nothing new.
Some basic publications in the pipeline but nothing soon.

The study's methodology will be published first and has been submitted but it will be a few months before publication.

A couple of promising snippets...

@ 47:00
Unger says CBT is not a treatment; It does not change the illness.
May help some people get some control over their illness.

@ 49:00
Unger says fatigue might not be best measure of illness; she says what changes is function, not fatigue.
She says when patients improve they will work up to their previous level of fatigue.
(i.e. she means that patients can manage their fatigue levels by controlling their levels of activity.)
So function is a better measure of illness.

Nothing spectacular but I think the above snippets indicate that there is at least some understanding of the illness.
Interesting....I do like the idea of function vs. fatigue but my functional ability is directly tied to my "fatigue" level. It seems fatigue leads and functional ability follows.