• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fludrocortisone and headaches

paul80

Been getting lots of headaches and migraines since taking fludrocortisone but i've been checking my blood pressure and it hasn't been high. So not sure if it's just M.E symptoms getting worse or the drugs.

Anyone else got migraines on this drug without high blood pressure?

Been getting lots of headaches and migraines since taking fludrocortisone but i've been checking my blood pressure and it hasn't been high. So not sure if it's just M.E symptoms getting worse or the drugs.

Anyone else got migraines on this drug without high blood pressure?
Fludrocortisone is a volume enhancer and it has some vasoconstrictive action also.It can also enhance sympathetic activity.
I think it increases intracranial tention in few patients.May cause headache .That will not show up as raised BP.

Seems like headaches are a normal side effect to taking fludrocortisone. And it might raise intracranial pressure, as Alisha12 mentioned

http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC3390096/

"Fludrocortisone increases plasma volume in patients with POTS[31],[34]due to salt and water retention and also sensitizes the blood vessels to constriction.[35]Some physicians combine salt tablets with fludrocortisone in order to ensure its effectiveness, although this must depend on salt intake.[36]Patients on fludrocortisone should be given magnesium and potassium supplements due to their concurrent depletion. Also, fludrocortisone has the potential to raise intracranial pressure, therefore it cannot be used in some cases, which involve the brain. Like beta-blockers, fludrocortisone reduces renin levels and may be counterproductive for POTS patients with low renin levels.[30]Some patients suffer severe side effects, particularly severe headache.[36]"

Last edited:
Ok thanks. hopefully it is these pills that are causing it then.
If you are taking fludrocortisone for POTS or OI, are you using beta blockers too ?This will sometimes reduce the headache.But still it is lots of trial and error.

paul80

No i'm not, but i think my cardiologist said he wants to try midodrine if the fludrocortisone didn't work.