• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Creepy posts by James Coyne to Jeanette Burmeister

James Coyne is currently making strange and creepy comments to Jeanette Burmeister on her blog

https://thoughtsaboutme.com/2016/09...the-me-community-stepping-up-or-backing-down/

Statements such as: JamesCoyne: "Jeanette, Does it make you husband jealous that you shower so much attention on me".

Coyne is now claiming that Jeanette Burmeister and other long term activists are preventing him from defending children with ME.

Where was Coyne in 2010, when Suzy Chapman and other UK ME activists were trying to prevent Esther Crawleys Smile trial... a study of Lightning Process on children with ME?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Blimey, had no idea that any of that had been going on, ie that Jeanette Burmeister had been getting a hard time from other advocates. Coyne's comments on her blog make him look like a sadistic creep. I remember his weekend of shame, and noticed that his criticism of psychoquackery only extends to the British and how defensive he got when any of his American psychoquacker colleagues were criticised.

Yuk, best to actively distance ourselves from anyone who could write:

I am having great fun collecting and posting this stuff elsewhere.

Jeannette, this has been and is still all too about you and your dependency on a response from me. You are best not to need me so much.

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit: :vomit:

EDIT: I remember when @geraldt52 nailed it last February:

<a href="http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-the-me-cfs-struggle.43321/page-5#post-702019">James Coyne threatens to withdraw from the ME/CFS struggle</a>

Last edited:

Cheesus

Who is he? He is only vaguely on the periphery of my awareness and I was under he impression he was on our side?

All of the ME advocates who Coyne disparaged, bullied and defamed, have since been subjected to further defamation on Facebook and twitter in the months since.

Coynes pubic bullying and defamation of long term ME advocates has emboldended Coyne worshippers to defame his targets widely on social media, up to the present

Coyne was incensed about Jeanette Burmeisters objections to the inclusion of a psychosomatic researcher in an NIH ME study
https://thoughtsaboutme.com/2016/02...e-perception-mecfs-as-normal-life-experience/

And then Coyne created a week long social media rampage against ME suffers/activists, on social media and in Private communications to ME sufferers over a single tweet from Jeanette Burmeister to Francis Collins, the director of the NIH.

As one recipient of Coynes aggressive expletive filled PM messages commented:

"Its not as though Jeanette has told Francis Collins what you have just told me. ie if he can't do better he can "fuck himself" ...
... . Jeannette was more civil to Francis Collins than you (Coyne) are being to me".

This drama is annoying enough on Twitter and such without it continually being repeated here.

And one-sided much? Yes, Coyne's often a dick, but Jeanette & Trolls have been attacking other ME patient advocates as well, which is what he seems to be objecting to currently (probably in a stupid way).

Let the children have their spat. But no need to egg them on with jeers or cheers. It's disgusting, and you're making it even more so by perpetuating it.

A "drama"? ..... -Suzy Chapman being repeatedly defamed on twitter by Coyne. Uk and US ME activists being ongoing defamed on social media. UK ME sufferers being bullied in Facebook forums by Coyne and his followers.... many ME sufferers were confused and frightened by his aggression and could not understand his aggressive ultimatums to them m to 'apologise'to him for something they knew nothing about.

ongoing trolling of
Coynes victims.

Coyne making gross comments to me sufferers...

What is the 'drama' you are objecting to?

Have you noticed the absence of dxrevisionwatch and other long term activists?

The dismissal of Coyne's widespread abusive behaviour has been noticed way beyond the comfortable confines of Phoenix Rising.

It appears to be convenient to dismiss Coyne's actions and behaviour as "drama" on a forum in which his targets are barely represented.

The darker component of Coynes behaviour, ie shutting down objections to government sanctioned research with psychosocial researchers, appears to have been swept under the carpet in the rush to dismiss objections to Coynes behaviour as "drama".

Last edited:
@Valentijn ...its your perpetual trivialisation, infantilisation and dismissal of the entirety of the damage of Coynes behaviour that is "disgusting".

There is a world out there beyond the cosy environment of Phoenix Rising (which has become increasingly insular) ..... that is increasingly aware of the dark side of Coynes supposed interest in ME research.

Last edited:

Mel9

This drama is annoying enough on Twitter and such without it continually being repeated here.

And one-sided much? Yes, Coyne's often a dick, but Jeanette & Trolls have been attacking other ME patient advocates as well, which is what he seems to be objecting to currently (probably in a stupid way).

Let the children have their spat. But no need to egg them on with jeers or cheers. It's disgusting, and you're making it even more so by perpetuating it.

This is all so very puzzling. I agree that when two feisty people (both of whom have been good for PWME) start attacking each other it is probably best to try to ignore the bun fight.

Last edited:
Oh groan..... it appears you have been sucessful, Valentijn, in convincing the uninformed of Phoenix Rising that an impotant and
deeply political matter is merely a 'bunfight'. The actual political issue is being challenged in environments beyond the rather insular confines of this forum.

Why does this have to play out on Phoenix Rising? It's between Coyne and Burmeister. There is no good end to this as it will just cause arguments depending on who supports who.

Why doesn't Burmeister ban Coyne from her blog and be done with him? Seems to be wanting him to stir it up so she can complain. If she has an issue with him, shouldn't it be dealt with on her blog rather than here.

There is a world out there beyond the cosy environment of Phoenix Rising.

Well then why are you stirring it up here in our 'cosy environment'? Really, take it elsewhere!!!

There are so many more important things other than this. I think Burmeister and Coyne need to sort their shit out without all of this crap.

This is my own personal view, not a moderator's view. But know this, I will step in if personal attacks start and judging by history, they will. :eek::eek::eek:

Coyne attacked dozens of Uk ME sufferers on two forums... with expletives and threats.... He defamed ME activists publicly on twitter and facebook, icluding Dxrevisionwatch... he pm bullied endless me activists .... he continues to bully and defame US but mainly UK sufferers

what is your problem with this issue being discussed here?

Are you trying to close down this important issue of ME sufferers being bullied and defamed by a psychology professional who has an established reputation for online abuse?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
There's obviously been a lot more going on in the last 6 months than I have any idea about, as I rarely stray from the cosy environment of PR. I'm grateful to @Wildcat for bringing this to my attention, I'd always rather have information so I can make my own mind up rather than be protected from information. I don't need to know all the ins and outs of the last 6 months (I don't have the time or the energy for one thing), but it's useful to see examples of what Coyne has been writing in the last couple of days, I didn't know this was still an ongoing situation or that he was still behaving like that. Now that I do, I'm free to choose whether I want to regard it as a childish spat to be ignored or whether I have another opinion about it.

Coyne attacked dozens of Uk ME sufferers on two forums... with expletives and threats.... He defamed ME activists publicly on twitter and facebook, icluding Dxrevisionwatch... he pm bullied endless me activists .... he continues to bully and defame US but mainly UK sufferers

what is your problem with this issue being discussed here?

Are you trying to close down this important issue of ME sufferers being bullied and defamed by a psychology professional who has an established reputation for online abuse?

No.

Take it elsewhere because your comments related to Phoenix Rising are insulting. You want to polarize members to hurl insults, whip members into a frenzy of hate. It's not constructive. People are totally capable of making up their own minds. The manufactured fight between Coyne and Burmeister is tiresome and really their problem -- fight it it elsewhere. We have much bigger and important issues. And really, all Jeannette has to do to end it is ban him from her blog just like he banned her from his accounts.