• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Manganese Superoxide Dismutase - Antioxidant - Mitochondria

Hi Everyone

If I have understood correctly, Manganese Superoxide Dismutase is an antioxidant & is essential for mitochondria to function properly.

Despite my best efforts my Manganese (mineral) levels are always deficient & get lower every time my blood is tested. So I suspect that my body can't produce enough Manganese Superoxide Dismutase & therefore my mitochondria can't function properly & that this may be the underlying cause of my ME ??

I take Manganese supplements & snack on pineapple (rich in Manganese) everyday & I feel better for this but still my Manganese levels are dropping.. and my ME progressively worsens. If I do not consume copious amounts of Manganese my ME is severe.

(I also feel better the day after I eat rare/medium rare beef steak - my iron levels are fine though).

I have just seen a NHS Consultant who wants to send me on a course of GET. I've done GET before & the more I push my ME, the worse my post-exertion fatigue is so GET just makes me crash.

I'm feeling quite lost & frustrated. :(

Is there a branch of medicine that would take my manganese deficiency seriously?

Thank you :hug:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Louisa

Hi Louisa

While your manganese levels may be a part of the picture my understanding of ME is that there is a lot more to it than a straight vitamin or mineral deficiency.

If the consultant wants to send you for GET and you were worse from the last course--stay away.
There are good reasons for staying away from GET if you have ME. They are well documented here on PR.

There is also good biological evidence coming out of new studies in the US and Australia. ME is a multi-systemic disease and there is some hope that a blood test might soon be available.

Your best bet is to get informed and to not be bullied into something that will cause you harm.

Thanks for your kind reply snowdrop :0)

Yes, it's probably a bit naive of me to think that a mineral deficiency could be causing my ME.

The thought of going through GET again, sent me into a panic. I will have to assert myself and say no.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The results of the PACE trial that support the use of CBT/GET for ME are not as robust as were claimed by the Principle Investigators. There is so much on this topic--blog's have been written--eminent scientists have written letters it would take some time for you to go through.

There is also a new study that shows that many metabolites are showing differences between ME pts and healthy controls.

So as you spend time here you will find all kinds of info. Ask questions--question answers for validity and fact. There are symptomatic treatments that may help depending on your situation/symptoms.

aquariusgirl

Well, I think it is interesting about your manganese levels. Are u testing RBC ?

I think you should collect your data & send it to someone smart...a toxicologist or mito expert.

Manganese can be toxic in excess, but I wonder if you have some genetic flaw or if its being depleted for some reason ?

and yes, seems like it would screw up yr mito function...

I am kicking around the idea that copper deficiency is messign with my mito function.

who is yr dr?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My Acumen results showed a blockage in the MnSODase - does anyone know what this means? (I don't think its good, but Manganese supps didn't do much for me)

Hip

I thought Tempol was a Cu-Zn SOD mimetic or whatever ...not Mn-SOD?

Have you tried it Hip?

Tempol can perform the role of all three types of superoxide dismutase, namely:

CuZn-SOD (SOD1) — found almost exclusively within cells (in the cytoplasm).
Mn-SOD (SOD2) — found exclusively in the mitochondria.
EC-SOD (SOD3) — found exclusively in extracellular spaces outside cells.

I have tried tempol. It's did not seem to help my ME/CFS symptoms, but within a week tempol 20 mg daily did permanently cure a patch (3 inches across) of suspected psoriasis that I had had for several years on my ankle, which I could not get rid of by any other means. That was unexpected, but welcome. One study suggested SOD3 could work to treat psoriasis.

Last edited:

Alexi

Hi Everyone

If I have understood correctly, Manganese Superoxide Dismutase is an antioxidant & is essential for mitochondria to function properly.

Despite my best efforts my Manganese (mineral) levels are always deficient & get lower every time my blood is tested. So I suspect that my body can't produce enough Manganese Superoxide Dismutase & therefore my mitochondria can't function properly & that this may be the underlying cause of my ME ??

I take Manganese supplements & snack on pineapple (rich in Manganese) everyday & I feel better for this but still my Manganese levels are dropping.. and my ME progressively worsens. If I do not consume copious amounts of Manganese my ME is severe.

(I also feel better the day after I eat rare/medium rare beef steak - my iron levels are fine though).

I have just seen a NHS Consultant who wants to send me on a course of GET. I've done GET before & the more I push my ME, the worse my post-exertion fatigue is so GET just makes me crash.

I'm feeling quite lost & frustrated. :(

Is there a branch of medicine that would take my manganese deficiency seriously?

Thank you :hug:
Run a mile from GET! The dept dealing with ME/CFS services in my health trust comes under infectious diseases, ask your GP to refer you to whoever diagnosed you and start from there. Really, it comes down to finding a doc willing to work with you ☹️

justy

Did you have this interpreted by Dr Myhill ?
yes - but just as in, take some manganese - we don't know what is causing the blockage - I don't really know what a blockage means anyway.

Alexi

yes - but just as in, take some manganese - we don't know what is causing the blockage - I don't really know what a blockage means anyway.
I think Dr Myhill offers a protein translocator test for that ? I'm plodding my way through my mitochondria results. TBH I'd like them to be a lot clearer.

justy

I think Dr Myhill offers a protein translocator test for that ? I'm plodding my way through my mitochondria results. TBH I'd like them to be a lot clearer.
Yes I had that test and I didn't really find it helpful. I had blockages but they couldn't work out what was causing them - the explanation wasn't clear at the time. There was soMe speculation that steroids were causing the blockage, but DRs Myhill and Howard at Acumen said they had never seen that before and didn't really know what it meant . I have been on long term inhaled steroids and I don't react well to very low doses of prednisolone, but no idea if the two things are related. Like many other tests o had done it was not money well spent and really just told me o was ill ( which I already knew )

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
DRs Myhill and Howard at Acumen said they had never seen that before and didn't really know what it meant . ... Like many other tests o had done it was not money well spent and really just told me o was ill ( which I already knew )
This could be ME/CFS in a nutshell. :grumpy: