• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips Please regarding google searching the site and all the information

Jennifer J

Hi, Everyone.

I'm too foggy and slow to figure this out, if there is even a different way to do it.

Each time I google something here, usually a few words, such as d ribose low blood sugar, I get 10 pages with many threads to look at. Which is amazing and a big problem for me. I want to read each of them to make sure I don't miss any knowledge that may help me. I don't even know what additional knowledge I need to know about it, to google more specifically, until I learn more, not that that would necessarily give me less threads to read. ;) Then as I learn more even more questions come up. :jaw-drop: (I know, part of me is saying that's just the way it is...)

The process of going through all those pages (and to make notes and sense of it) takes me way too long due to my abilities and more. Also, I have too many other things I need to attend to and read about in addition that I haven't been able to touch for years.

I can't seem to make much progress, it's one step forward and many backwards. (Always happy I was able to make the one step forward, it's a major accomplishment :thumbsup:, yet I want to go further.) I start one thing and another ends up needing more attention, then another needs more attention than that one, and it goes on and on. Then loop back to try to pickup on a previous one again that needs more attention not remembering what I learned the other time around, then...

The best analogy I have is I feel like a ship with too many holes in it, more keep getting added and the other ones are getting bigger cause I can't tend to them. I keep having to give attention to whichever one is sinking the ship at that moment yet all the other ones need attention, too. :eek:

Til something changes for my situations or health for the better, I think that's the way it is.

Question I have is: How would you go about the 10 pages with many threads of information and needing to have knowledge quicker to (too many things....sorry, struggling for words :bang-head:).

Thanks guys for any ideas to help. I think you all are amazing. :love: I know many deal with this too.

taniaaust1

I think many of us understand completely the lack of able to make good progress with things and hence feeling like one is on that sinking ship :/

Sometimes when it comes to knowledge or actually anything, we often just need to accept that we just cant do things quickly (even those things we think need doing quickly or are important).

I myself tend to try to gain most of my info from comments of things in threads rather then click links within the threads and read whole articles as it quickly becomes to much for my brain. 95% of time I do not read whole articles or only read part of ones.

or if you have a question it can be faster to ask on the forums then trying to research (and then that question could lead to more questions you could ask). At times I do ask people stuff rather then myself research as it helps conserve my brain energy so then I can focus on other things.

If you have a few questions on low blood sugar, I suggest to try to post them (I dont know much on ribose though but many of us here have low blood sugar issues). You must have some idea on what you want to know at this point of time.

*GG*

Hi, Everyone.

I'm too foggy and slow to figure this out, if there is even a different way to do it.

Each time I google something here, usually a few words, such as d ribose low blood sugar, I get 10 pages with many threads to look at. Which is amazing and a big problem for me. I want to read each of them to make sure I don't miss any knowledge that may help me. I don't even know what additional knowledge I need to know about it, to google more specifically, until I learn more, not that that would necessarily give me less threads to read. ;) Then as I learn more even more questions come up. :jaw-drop: (I know, part of me is saying that's just the way it is...)

Thanks guys for any ideas to help. I think you all are amazing. :love: I know many deal with this too.

It would seem that if you get to many results, add more words, it should narrow it down. I would think that the Title of the Thread/Post would help you figure out if it is what you are looking for. Sure that will not always work though.

I use a laptop. I open another page/tab and make my Question longer or more detailed, depending upon what turns up. By opening another page, you don't lose your original result, in case there are a few things that turn up, and it lets you easily look at the different results you get from 2 queries.

GG

Hutan

Yes, I certainly have been daunted by long lists of threads and long threads.

This doesn't answer your question, but I think ME pedia has potential when investigating a topic for the first time.

e.g.
http://me-pedia.org/wiki/D-Ribose

In this case, the entry is limited, but I'm sure entries will improve with time.

Having read the ME-pedia entry on a topic and perhaps some of the resources listed in the entry you might find you can narrow down your search of PR threads.

Jennifer J

@taniaaust1, @"GG", @Hutan, thank you very much for your responses. :hug: (Sorry it's taken me awhile to write that to you.) I found them all to be very helpful. I will use each of them. :thumbsup:

Also, another nice person :) on the forums PM me with some ideas too. They said I could share them here:

If I get too many search results, I sometimes add in the date like 2016 to narrow down to recent results. It's not fool proof, but it cut your 10 page search results for: ribose low blood sugar, in half to 5 pages.

Or, I also like to limit the search to titles only, so it's more likely on topic. I didn't know how to do that in google, but learned you use: intitle:ribose . Note there are no spaces between the words or the colon. That narrowed the results of your original search to threads with ribose in the title. Only 2 pages of results vs. 10 pages.

Finally, when reading a document, I like to use the "find" option to quickly go to all instances of the word "ribose". That's handy if you are looking at a webpage or a pdf. In chrome, the three line menu in the upper right includes a Find option. It helps shorten the reading time.

Thank you again, everyone, for your help!

Marc_NL

The best analogy I have is I feel like a ship with too many holes in it, more keep getting added and the other ones are getting bigger cause I can't tend to them. I keep having to give attention to whichever one is sinking the ship at that moment yet all the other ones need attention, too. :eek:

Something like this?

abc.gif

*GG*

Your welcome!

Thanks, did not know this: "Or, I also like to limit the search to titles only, so it's more likely on topic. I didn't know how to do that in google, but learned you use: intitle:ribose .

Note there are no spaces between the words or the colon. That narrowed the results of your original search to threads with ribose in the title. Only 2 pages of results vs. 10 pages."

GG

Mor

Don't think of progress as being based on how many new pieces of information you can gather, but rather think of it based on how well you use the information you've already gathered, and how content and happy you are with life you have right now. If progress was just about surviving, we would all fail at some point, since we will all die. If progress is about the future, then we will never experience it, since it is always the present for us.

Progress is how well you can accept this moment, and learning new things without being attached; to always reaching when life is in your grasp already. Learn yes, that's good, but also accept the moment.

Hip

Each time I google something here, usually a few words, such as d ribose low blood sugar, I get 10 pages with many threads to look at. Which is amazing and a big problem for me. I want to read each of them to make sure I don't miss any knowledge that may help me.

Generally speaking, Google is pretty good at putting the most relevant and informative pages at the top of its search results. So you need not worry about reading through all 10 pages of search results; the first page or two of Google results will likely be the most relevant.

Also, the two lines of text that Google provides with each search result displayed on the page (the text snippets which shows the sentences in which the search word was found) are very useful in deciding whether you might want to read more from that webpage. And often you learn a lot just from reading these snippets on the Google search results page.

Hip

Here is another tip about Google searching:

This forum provides a Google search option here, which searches the PR forum via what's known as a Google Custom Search.

However, I find the the layout of the results page of Google Custom Search not as clear to read as the normal Google search.

So when I want to search these forums via Google, I use the normal Google, but configure it to only search pages from the PR forum. To configure Google to only search PR, you simply add the following text to your normal Google search:
Code:
site:phoenixrising.me

That bit of text tells Google to only search the PR forum (note that there should be no space after the colon).

So for example, here is a standard Google search of these forums for the word "D-ribose."

Jennifer J

Generally speaking, Google is pretty good at putting the most relevant and informative pages at the top of its search results. So you need not worry about reading through all 10 pages of search results; the first page or two of Google results will likely be the most relevant.

Thank you, @Hip!:) I didn't know this. It's very helpful.

Also, the two lines of text that Google provides with each search result displayed on the page (the text snippets which shows the sentences in which the search word was found) are very useful in deciding whether you might want to read more from that webpage. And often you learn a lot just from reading these snippets on the Google search results page.

This is good info to use, too!

Here is another tip about Google searching:

This forum provides a Google search option here, which searches the PR forum via what's known as a Google Custom Search.

However, I find the the layout of the results page of Google Custom Search not as clear to read as the normal Google search.

So when I want to search these forums via Google, I use the normal Google, but configure it to only search pages from the PR forum. To configure Google to only search PR, you simply add the following text to your normal Google search:
Code:
site:phoenixrising.me
That bit of text tells Google to only search the PR forum (note that there should be no space after the colon).

So for example, here is a standard Google search of these forums for the word "D-ribose."

This is very valuable, helpful and useful. Thank you very much for posting this, with instructions on how to, and for the search with examples. :hug: Hi, ho, google searching I go. Thank you @Hip!