• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Percent of Patients With ME Had a Confirmed or Supposed Viral Onset?

cman89

I am wondering what (estimated) percentage of ME patients have a confirmed or strongly suspected viral onset of illness? This is opposed to a bacterial infection or a slow decline type situation....

wastwater

I'm acute EBV onset,I think I saw some pie charts online detailing the percentages.
Don't have ME/Cfs diagnosis,time will tell I guess still waiting for a test

Last edited:

Forbin

This ME Alliance report by Charles Shepherd, et al., gives a figure of 75% for sudden onset "often dating back to an acute viral infection." Not all sudden onset cases have a viral suspect, but my impression is that those cases that do account for the majority of that 75%.

ME Diagnosis: Delay Harms Health

Around 75% of people with ME/CFS describe a sudden onset to their illness, often dating back to an acute viral infection. This could be an episode of bronchitis, gastroenteritis, tonsillitis, or viral meningitis. Sometimes it is a more specific infection such as chickenpox, glandular fever, or rubella. ME/CFS occasionally occurs following other types of infection such as mycoplasma, Q fever, salmonella or toxoplasmosis. Instances have also been reported where ME/CFS has been triggered by a vaccination, or exposure to toxins or pesticides.

cman89

The reason I ask is I am currently dealing with symptoms that ive had in the past that are just not going away....unlike before. I also think that unlike other flare ups this one is indeed viral, though I really would love a positive ID.

osisposis

The reason I ask is I am currently dealing with symptoms that ive had in the past that are just not going away....unlike before. I also think that unlike other flare ups this one is indeed viral, though I really would love a positive ID.

have you been to a infectious disease doctor lately? I think maybe we can pick up new infectious agents and possablely from the waiting rooms of some of these doctors clinics. seems everytime I go to a doctor I either get a bad reaction from triggers or pick up something that causes a whole lot of sweating and malase for anywhere from a week to several weeks.

Mij

@cman89 did you receive any travel vaccines for your trip?

My onset was acute viral, I suspect I may have recovered from the initial hit but went back down when I received several vaccinations during the viral episode.

belize44

I contracted Epstein Barre when I was 18. It came and went for a long time, but what really gave me the knockout punch was a Hepatitis B shot that was mandatory for students starting out in healthcare careers (where I was going to school at the time.)

cman89

My onset was acute viral, I suspect I may have recovered from the initial hit but went back down when I received several vaccinations during the viral episode.
I had a bit of a cascade of events. I had a Hep A vaccine, Typhoid, was exposed to air pollution, and possibly mold, though I cant be sure on that one.

cman89

I wonder if the order of stressors influences illness effect? Mij, what vaccine did you have during the acute onset episode?

Mij

@cman89 I had a rubella, tetanus, Hep B x2 within a one month period just after the viral onset. It was after the second Hep B shot that I started slowly losing stamina. I also had highly elevated anti-thyroid antibodies soon after the second Hep B shot.

cman89

@cman89 I had a rubella, tetanus, Hep B x2 within a one month period just after the viral onset. It was after the second Hep B shot that I slowly slowly losing stamina. I also had highly elevated anti-thyroid antibodies soon after the second Hep B shot.
Interesting. Yeah, I havent had those since childhood, nor do I plan to. I regret getting them tbh, since something felt off after getting the first round, though very low grade and subclinical.

cman89

@cman89 I had a rubella, tetanus, Hep B x2 within a one month period just after the viral onset. It was after the second Hep B shot that I started slowly losing stamina. I also had highly elevated anti-thyroid antibodies soon after the second Hep B shot.
Do you have thyroid dysfunction?

Tammy

Confirmed EBV onset for me. I don't understand why Dr's would say after awhile that the EBV is no longer a problem.......tests just show a past infection. OH Yeah? ..............then why am I still sick? I started a protocol a little over a year ago using herbal anti-virals against the EBV and am getting better..................I don't feel like the walking dead anymore.

cman89

Confirmed EBV onset for me. I don't understand why Dr's would say after awhile that the EBV is no longer a problem.......tests just show a past infection. OH Yeah? ..............then why am I still sick? I started a protocol a little over a year ago using herbal anti-virals against the EBV and am getting better..................I don't feel like the walking dead anymore.
i really suspect that this will be a ticket for me right now. Do you mind if I ask what anti virals you are using? I am on a few, but I want to go full bore on this right now.

taniaaust1

Not all sudden onset cases have a viral suspect, but my impression is that those cases that do account for the majority of that 75%.

There are lots of other ME/CFS triggers which full into the sudden onset catagory eg vaccinations. Rate of ME/CFS cases being caused by vaccinations is said to be 5%-10% . So this is for just one non viral trigger causes a sudden onset.

(Hep B vaccination may of been "one" of the triggers of my ME/CFS. I had multiple things going on at the time)

Tammy

i really suspect that this will be a ticket for me right now. Do you mind if I ask what anti virals you are using? I am on a few, but I want to go full bore on this right now.
My protocol against EBV.

Natures Answer Non alcholol Cats Claw liquid................Natures Answer Non alcohol licorice root liquid..............L-lysine (taking 2,000 mgs 2x daily).............Ester C (taking 2,000mgs) 2x daily. Global Healing liquid B12, Eidons liquid Zinc sulfate................Hawaii Pacifica Spirulina..........Vimergy barly grass juice powder. I had to start out with LOW dosages of everything and work my way up.