• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

solved lifelong 3AM insomnia by speeding up colon

WoolPippi

Every 3 AM I wake up with night sweat. I lie awake fully alert (with dopamine/cortisol peak) for at least one hour. I do get a bit of sleep afterwards but it's crappy and not restoring at all.
My insomnia is not an ME symptom but did facilitate it.

Cause: food piles up in my slow colon, stretches it and causes a stress reaction. IBS-C related. No pain though. No indication insomnia was gut related at all. I didn't guess it for decades and I've been searching.

Solution: speed up colon. Eat no fibre whatsoever. Up serotonin.

Supplements: 2 x 100 mg 5-htp; 2 x 1000 mg vit C; squeeze half a lemon twice a day; eat no fibre whatsoever. Take two rests a day and massage stomach. Lie on right side for a few minutes to help food/air pass the hepatic bend (flexure).

I thought my insomnia had to do with my brain and its neurotransmitters (I'm homozygous for MAO A and MAO B) but it turns out the cause is in my stomach.
Well, gut hormones are brain neurotransmitters I guess.

ignore rest of post if you're tired.

THEORY:
Serotonin and dopamine regulate colon motility. Dopamine slows it down, serotonine speeds it up. This is why anti-depressants have loose stools as a side effect. And why better balance healed this person's Crohn's disease. Why lots of wired and hyper people don't have regular stools (they are high dopamine people). Why lots of us here on the forum have faulty MAO A and constipation?)

There are two kinds of constipation:
1. the one where people eat junk food and need more fibre/fluid and
2. the one where there's not enough motility/energy to deal with fibre. Can be because of high dopamine/low serotonine; can be because digestion takes a lot of energy and someone with illness doesn't have the energy to spare.

RESULTS:
I now have regular bowel movements and have been sleeping a solid 7 hours for 2 weeks straight. This has never occurred before! I am 45 years old and have had this insomnia all my life. Got ME at age 37. Am in recovery progress for 8 months now. Started serotonin and vit C 2 weeks ago.

During the day my posture has improved, no bloating anymore. Way more energy. No more Fight or Flight. It's Rest and Digest only now.

One side-effect: too much serotonine will deplete my dopamine and cause sluggish brain occasionally. I have a tiny dose of methylphenidate (ritalin) on standby to balance that (2,5 mg). And I need to avoid tyramine rich foods even more now.

Gut hormones are brain neurotransmitters are gut hormones.

PS
it has been this full alert insomnia that helped me battle ME.
In 2008-2010 I was bedridden and didn't know my own name during the day. But I had this one hour of super clarity every night. That's when I read this forum and medical journals. Got educated and devised trials to investigate possible solutions. Left myself little to-do lists on the bedstand.
Very detailed lists because daytime-me was a zombie. Night-time-me didn't even bother trying to explain the why and how. It was a weird time.

WoolPippi

@WoolPippi Great detective work and persistence! A lot of your experiences sound familiar to me so I think I might carefully try some of your strategies.

Thanks. I wish fervently some of this works for you.

A few more details:
I found out that just 5-htp or just vit C didn't work for me, it has to be the combination. Together with lemon juice.

I took the 5-htp dosis of the Crohn's study I mentioned, albeit a lower dose but still higher than recommended on the bottle. Go low, go slow is my motto too. I looked at the ratio they deploy for good serotonine/dopamine balance in a person with too much serotonine and I kind of reversed it.
They also took Selenium which I made sure to take too. And the Vit C also comes from there.

I trusted my sensitive nervous system/gut feeling to tell me if I took too much. I can tell you the 5-HTP has made my gut very happy. And my brain too.
The sensitivity is also why the ritalin came about. I became sluggish and less happy. I guess MAO A and MAO B kicked it up a notch with all the serotonine floating about. Ritalin is tricky though, 2,5 mg at once makes me jittery. But 1,5 mg makes me relax. I take it off and on.

I see we share some DNA things, perhaps it's of use if I mention mine?

+/+ for MAO A, VDR Taq, MTRR A66G, MTR A2756G, MAO B and CYP2C19*17

+/- for MTHFR C677T, MTHFR A1298C, MTRR A664A, BHMT-08, CBS C699T
and +.- for CYP1A2 164, CYP1B1 432, CYP1B1 48, CYP2D6 486, CYP2D6 100, CYP2D6 2850, GTSP1 105, SOD2 16, NAT2 197

I have not yet researched my +/- things because I figured at least some of the enzymes get produced right and can do their work. For +/+ things far less enzymes get produced right.

But looking at this I ought to research CYP2D6... I'm starting here, the liver enzym Drug Interaction Table

South

@WoolPippi
So do I understand this correctly:

Vit C, 5htp, and lemon juice all three taken at the same moment.
and
selenium taken anytime that day.

Is the C/5htp/lemon juice combination taken on an empty stomach, or with food?

don't worry, I won't doctor myself solely based on your experience, but Im curious about these questions.

This has given me lots to think about. Thanks Pippi. A year ago I started getting nausea right after food and sensed it might be because I'd started eating more fruit because it just ferments with me - I can never digest it properly. So I decided to give up eating fruit altogether for a while and the nausea disappeared, so did the bloating.

I haven't known what to put it down to, but over the last year or so my sleep has improved, my brain fog has improved and the tiresome pop up not being able to find the right word thing vanished altogether. For a month or so now though, since I started eating fruit again and have been trying to re - introduce a few more foods back into my diet - back all those symptoms have come. Also more constipated...

I'm extremely intolerant to supplements and really limited in what I can eat but as well as giving up fruit again, am going to look at ways I can reduce fibre even more and will try to up my seratonin naturally.

WoolPippi

@WoolPippi
Is the C/5htp/lemon juice combination taken on an empty stomach, or with food?

I take half the squeezed lemon first thing in the morning.

5-htp with breakfast and vit c too if I take 2000 mg that day.

Selenium at one point in the day, usually when I take all my minerals: with my protein meals at noon and 4 AM.

vit C and 100 mg 5-htp and other half lemon last thing at night, on an empty stomach.