• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bacteria lurking in blood could be culprit in countless diseases

natasa778

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...blood-could-be-culprit-in-countless-diseases/

“In all inflammatory conditions we have noted a matted, denser fibrin structure, without the typical ‘spaghetti structure’ found in healthy individuals,” says Pretorius. Just one molecule of LPS in a mixture of a hundred million fibrinogen molecules was enough to encourage the formation of these misformed clots.

This means LPS must act as a catalyst, says Kell. They think LPS bends fibrinogen out of shape, and this shape-change spreads from protein to protein in a similar way to the deformation associated with prion proteins that cause BSE.

And since LPS triggers inflammation, it increases levels of fibrinogen in the blood, further raising the risk of the aberrant disease-linked clots. Because of their weird structure, these clots are also resistant to being broken down by blood enzymes. Together, these effects could be raising the risk of aberrant clotting, leading to heart attacks and strokes.

Overactive clotting is also a feature of inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and Alzheimer’s. These conditions involve excess levels of iron. The body normally keeps levels of free iron in the blood low to keep bacteria dormant and block their growth..

“We think bugs are involved in all these diseases,” says Kell. Their observation that LPS causes fibrin to form mats, and the fact that LPS also binds to many other proteins, could implicate it in forming the amyloid mats seen in other inflammatory diseases, such as those in in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Earlier this year, other researchers found that injecting bacteria into the brains of mice prompted them to form amyloid plaques overnight.

Daffodil

my friend developed reactive arthirtis 30 yrs ago after an unprotected sexual encounter. when tests for STD's turned up negative, the only treatment offered him was antiinflammatories. i begged him countless times to get on antibiotic therapy and sent him research papers, but he refused. last year, he developed a large blood clot in the same leg as the arthritis. now, he is always in pain, has to take blood thinners, get CT scans, and wear stockings.

alex3619

Perhaps this is how the prions that KDM has talked about are generated.
I am unclear that KDM has demonstrated prions. What he demonstrated is misfolded proteins. Most misfolded proteins are not prions. Misfolding can occur by damage, by defective cellular mechanisms, and by glutathione depletion, amongst other things. I have an hypothesis that some of the aconitase in ME patients, and this is a mitchondrial enzyme, is not properly folded. There are many candidate proteins however.

msf

You´re right, I should have been more careful with terms I was using, as they were in the article.