• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about using transdermal supplements

mermaid

Actually the question is not about transdermal supplements generally as I know you can buy them and I assume that they do something if used correctly. It's a question about one I have made up myself and if it's likely to be doing any good.

I discovered some years ago that I was very deficient in Carnitine and according to the blood test I had done via Dr Myhill, I had the lowest score she had ever recorded for this. It has occurred to me recently that I may have a genetic problem with Carnitine but I am pursuing this separately, via my GP.

I had it retested 4 years later and my low score previously was still her lowest ever score (and she tests hundreds, probably thousands now). I have been unable to use Carnitine internally as I have an upper gut condition - known as Functional Dyspepsia, but whatever the name, some foods, supplements and drugs especially acidic ones, cause intolerable pain. Luckily my score did increase even without Carnitine, but it was still below the range.

This year I had the bright idea of trying out transdermal Carnitine, but I have no idea if it is working - what do people think? I use Acetyl-l-Carnitine powder dissolved in a jar with some transdermal magnesium that has DMSO in it to help carry it through. I apply it liberally to my legs and feet and then put on top my long support socks. I don't really know how much to put in at a time, so it's pot luck there and i have been slowly increasing the amount to dissolve.

Would this work do you think?

ahmo

I've been using DIY transdermal applications for a few years. Initially this was using footbaths, into which I added aminos and minerals, soaking about 10 minutes. I also have been crushing B12 and B2 tablets into lotion or grease, and applying to my skin on a piece of fabric. This has worked great. I haven't used DMSO, but understand it to be very effective.

mermaid

Thank you @ahmo I guess doing it in a footbath is another idea. Still I guess my method is pretty good too, and it's helpful to know that someone else has tried doing transdermal. Interesting idea re the Bvits you do - I do spray B12 on my skin (also via Dr Myhill's supply) but I am OK with that gutwise also.

Did you go transdermal because of gut issues with supplements, or did you think this was a better method?

ahmo

I was already doing footbaths with at least, bicarb for detox. Since my aim initially was healing leaky gut, it seemed sensible to relieve my gut as much as possible from extra work. I was taking many aminos, and later a lot of potassiium, which was unpleasant to drink. I was delighted to just add these things to FB, and find that I didn't need any extra doing it this way.

Crushing B12 came about because I did not want to continue holding these tablets in my gums, risking my dental health. I started the B2 (FMN) for the same reason, as it was sublingual. It also turns out that I need 1/2 the dose FMN transdermal than I did sublingual.

mermaid

Thank you @ahmo Very interesting.

I was quite surprised to discover that things do go through transdermally, but was never sure quite how much got through. However when I had a blood test done to see what things could be negatively affecting me, then azo dyes showed up, and as I didn't ingest them, I could only think it was my hair colouring which shows how much harm things can do re people's skin products. I now am very careful about what I use!

I am hoping that the DMSO is helping now in a positive way with the magnesium and the carnitine.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I also have been crushing B12 and B2 tablets into lotion or grease, and applying to my skin on a piece of fabric.
Don't you lose some of your vitamins on the fabric that way? I would think you could just spread it on your skin with your finger. I use a liquid B12, but I spread it on my skin then spread alcohol and lotion over it.

Seven7

Seven
My doctor told me to do under tongue and stop the injections (In my case it was b12) She told me I have low inmune system and the risk of infection was not worth it.

I tell you because I never thought about the risk of infection before sicne I prefer the shots.

ahmo

Don't you lose some of your vitamins on the fabric that way? I would think you could just spread it on your skin with your finger. I use a liquid B12, but I spread it on my skin then spread alcohol and lotion over it.
I've used B12 tablets crushed, B12 commercial oil, and now B12 nasal spray homemade from B12 crystals. All seem to be equally effective.

My B12 transdermal experiments started by using Bluebonnet liquid, mixing it w/ lotion and rubbing into skin. Then I went to crushed tablets, less messy. I began putting it onto fabric when I started also applying B2 transdermally. Unlike B12, the B2 was extremely messy, staining skin and clothes, so I began my "bandage" method. As far as I can tell, what remains in the fabric is not essential. From time to time I take the B2 sublingually, as intended, to see if there's and difference. Seems to be just the same, what's left of the fabric isn't essential.

xrayspex

Thank you @ahmo Very interesting.

I was quite surprised to discover that things do go through transdermally, but was never sure quite how much got through. However when I had a blood test done to see what things could be negatively affecting me, then azo dyes showed up, and as I didn't ingest them, I could only think it was my hair colouring which shows how much harm things can do re people's skin products. I now am very careful about what I use!

I am hoping that the DMSO is helping now in a positive way with the magnesium and the carnitine.
how did the DMSO work out?

mermaid

@xrayspex Hello there. Well I am still using it. Hard to know what helps what really, but I plaster the magnesium oil with DMSO on my legs each morning and cover them with my support socks so the stuff can soak in easily. I still put in some Carnitine powder into it, and added in some other NAC powder which I also take orally. I guess my view is that every little counts!

I had a good year last year, so thought all these things were coming together, but then had a huge amount of stress over a few months, that could not be avoided (detached retina which involved a dash to a hospital a long way off, followed by various appointments - still not ended as I now have post op cataract. Then followed by unexpected colonoscopy. Then a bone density scan which showed I had (unexpected) osteoporosis).

All this has set me back somewhat, but I am fighting back!

xrayspex

hey Mermaid thanks for the update. That is a lot to contend with in a short period but yes sometimes things come up unexpectedly, life throws some curves and I am glad to hear you are trying to roll with it and do what you can......progress can look a lot of ways and isn't a linear path usually :)