• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Nun Amen-Ra - World Record Deadlifter on Calorie Restriction Diet

GhostGum

Had to post this, I find this guy incredibly interesting, knowledgeable and quite convincing. He is a world record holder in deadlifting and all off of a calorie restricted one meal a day diet, sounds completely ridiculous but then when you see how incredibly refined his diet and lifestyle is, along with the manner of the man it seems quite plausible.

I thought this could be quite helpful for ME/CFS as well, since people can have some success with fasting, and having such a well refined one meal a day diet could be quite helpful, the only issue being that what the diet is exactly is not clear, obviously vegan though.

Bansaw

I know that when I tried a "Daniel Fast" , which is a fast in the Bible (Daniel chapter 1) with basic vegetables and fruits only with water, I felt better in terms of energy, sleep and clarity of mind. However, I also tried intermittent fasting and found that my body felt really tired. So as a CFSer, I think small meals throughout the day might be a good idea.
I have a pretty good cutting edge doctor and she says she sees a good number of vegans with chronic health issues. So, she's not a believer in veganism.
I dunno, this guy might have a unique genetic makeup that is well suited to this kind of diet/lifestyle.
I do think that a short 21-day vegetable Daniel fast is well worth looking into though. You have re-inspired me.

sarah darwins

Heh. Weird, but I kinda like this guy. This is from his website, the page where you can donate 'appropriately' in return for some of his treatises:

THE AUTHOR'S WORKS & SERVICES

The works enumerated below are available upon request. These items are not for sale as such but are shared with interested individuals upon receipt of a reasonable donation. The purpose of this practice is to ensure that economic insufficiency does not impede anyone from availing themselves of such important information. It also is intended to encourage individuals so inclined to compensate commensurately with their conception of the worth of the knowledge contained in the works, something that cannot easily be achieved through a conventional financial transaction. Finally, it is a way of purposefully limiting the scope of our operation. While the Author does not disdain the wealth that may derive from a wide readership or flourishing private practice, he understands that only select individuals can fully comprehend, appreciate, and implement the ideas inherent in his System. Therefore we are content to permit the wider public to pursue whatever popular fads pervade the prevailing cultural climate while we cater to those willing and able to discipline their minds and bodies in pursuit of fundamental felicity. Hence, only those individuals interested in adopting or advancing the agenda of the Esoteric Order of Amenta are encouraged to assimilate the Author's ideas and instruction; respectfully, the rabble need not bother.

Please use the "Donate" link above to proffer your liberal donatives. All contributions of the worthy are appreciated, from the monetarily minuscule to the munificent.
- my bolding throughout

Liberal donatives? That's a hoot.

taniaaust1

its interesting but I wouldnt say this is a treatment for ME/CFS at all.

As many of us have issues around hypoglycemia, this would be very bad for many of us.

Many or most of us with this illness, have deficiencies and may need more of certain things then a normal person does just due to our poor health. Cutting food back to once a day may further lower vitamin levels in the body... some vitamins are water soluable so getting them once a day may not be enough.

Eatting once a day is completely unnatural. Think of our ancenstors which were hunters and gatherers, eatting berries and other things whenever they came across them. Im sure they probably ate small amounts frequently with some big meals there too at times.

He's vegan too, many would get very sick from that due to not knowing the food combinations which need to be "eaten together" to be able to provide what the body needs (I may have the wrong word but its the only way to get something like all the "essential amino acids" is eatting some things in certain combinations if one is vegan). Healthy veganism cant be done without a the right knowledge around this and following this knowledge.

If a person with ME/CFS is feeling flat or lower in energy or getting other symptoms when they eat. They should be trying to work out the why of this.. Working out what foods your body has issues with and cutting those foods out rather then just cutting how many times we eat back.

I personally believe this eatting once a day would be a bad thing for our already sick bodies which are often already may not be getting what they need in diet.

GhostGum

@taniaaust1 as you say its all a bit useless without knowing the food combinations and his diet, although he seems to explain in great detail his reasoning behind everything, will have to go looking around for the exact diet. I do not think you have to do this as a vegan neither, but can tailor it as you wish.

On the eating once a day being unnatural I was also watching this the other day,

I thought there had been discussions around fasting being potentially beneficial for ME due to cellular and immune system 'refreshing'. I noticed one person explain how all this might be possible through apoptosis,

"He eats 1 meal a day that consists of 3 parts, and fasts for 23 hours. The first part of his meal is his amino acid nutrient elixir. This Elixer provides his amino acids + other molecules needed for the body to be healthy. But it lacks the sugars and fatty acids which is the energy source for all of the cellular processes.

The second part of his meal the, beans and roots and shit, do add fatty acids. Then his dessert has sugars in the royal jelly and bread in the form of carbs and sugars. He limits the caloric intake of the meal so he is actually giving his body less energy than it needs to perform it's processes, but plenty of amino acids. He then makes this up with the fasting which essentially eats away older cells and converts them into energy. So he recycles his own cells for his sugar, and fatty acid requirements. This recycling of cells targets the most inefficient and oldest cells in his body. Which I assume includes the ones with the shortest telomeres. He has a surplus of amino acids and his body only uses enough cells for the energy that it needs. So he builds muscle when he repairs his muscle fibers from the workout, and he gains no fat.

So his body recycles the cells with the most damage and possibly the shortest telomere lengths. He also slows down his metobolism, and lengthens his haflick limit."

Its nice in theory, and if you can plan and tailor the perfect meal where your body gets every vitamin and nutrient it needs then having it resting and replenishing the rest of the time it could have benefits. I believe there is some talk about a small secondary meal, use of herbal teas as well.

@Bansaw I suspect he does have some of those good athletic African genes, but for the average person we are not looking at making world records in deadlifting, just trying to create the perfect diet and routine for the body. The other thing here is he is obviously very stress free due to his meditation and mental state, and other than his deadlifting you have to suspect he is not expending much energy elsewhere.

Quick sugar and glucose is just a vicious cycle in my opinion, the body needs to slowed right down, lots of fibre, high plant based and slow burning carbs, as he says rice (I assume brown/wild) and tubers, quality whole wheat breads.

I don't know, I find him really interesting and he is far from your run of the mill online expert trying to tell you how something is.

cman89

This is still very individualistic. Ive tried the low-carb whatever, even before being sicker, and I always felt drained. That being said, the immune effects of fasting are what, to me, could be beneficial in ME and other illnesses.

GhostGum

@cman89 I don't think this has to be low carb, he says he still eats rice, bread and tubers, personally low carb does not work for me neither but it seems with this, with the 23 hour break you can still get the benefits of ketosis.

Getting over the cravings for quick carbs and snacks is always the hard part, but people with ME who are barely putting out any energy, a need for decent calorie intake through easy carbs makes no sense at all, other than it is hardwired into chemistry and habit over most of our lives; of course most of society is hardwired for sugars from our earliest years.

In saying all that in most of my 15 years with ME I just ate when I felt like it, was near impossible to maintain a strict diet, some pleasure from food was a blessing sometimes. It is one of those catch 22 situations where now that I have made much improvement and have a much more stable situation its easier to test and work through stricter diets.

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
The guy has a big deadlift!

But the author attributing it to vegan lifestyle is one of those 'I like to see it this way so I will'.

Genetics is a huge factor in weightlifting, as is sleep, recovery, supplementation etc.

Some non vegans lifting as much or more than he is. He is not a one off.

Some of the science the guy talks about (workout time of day etc) is controversial and studies have confounded this further.

B

Ben H

Just checked his website. Eek.

BPS crowd would have a field day.

B

GhostGum

@Ben Howell At the end of the day I am only interested in the idea of the diet and its potential benefits, which seems to have great potential in many respects. People can pick over him, his website, veganism or whatever but all we should be considering is how the diet may be beneficial and or helpful for illness, this is not about deadlifting.

If the theory of apoptosis is even vaguely on the right track here, that you can replenish cells, reduce the load on the system, help with energy and mental clarity (as some claim eating like this) and it can be achieved by eating once a day then fasting for 23 hours I thought it would be of great interest here.

Ben H

@Ben Howell At the end of the day I am only interested in the idea of the diet and its potential benefits, which seems to have great potential in many respects. People can pick over him, his website, veganism or whatever but all we should be considering is how the diet may be beneficial and or helpful for illness, this is not about deadlifting.

If the theory of apoptosis is even vaguely on the right track here, that you can replenish cells, reduce the load on the system, help with energy and mental clarity (as some claim eating like this) and it can be achieved by eating once a day then fasting for 23 hours I thought it would be of great interest here.

Hey @GhostGum

Sorry-I wasn't being critical of your post, just perhaps the guy and his theories, which are questionable at best (some statements are true, some I think he would like to be). I certainly found the video interesting :)

Theories are great but the real test is in results when those theories are put to test. In normal people, IF can work. In ME/CFS, id hazard a guess it really wont.

B

GhostGum

@Ben Howell In hindsight I should have waited, done more research about the diet and its potentials from a more logic point of view and then posted. Putting that vid up of this very eccentric guy was a real backwards way of going about it, but I just find him and his practises very interesting.

I don't quite understand why people here would be so resistant to such an idea so easily, trying to tailor a near perfect nutritional and biological intake in one meal a day to support the body, then let it rest and replenish for the rest of day, in theory should be ideal for ME, especially those with weight issues.

Its understandable though such strict dieting and the shock to the system it can cause from such a change would be difficult for people with such difficulties already. I am quite functional and healthy these days, and no doubt I will struggle to implement it myself, I am sure it will take sometime and adjustment.

Do not think you would have to be so strict on it though, as a base I like the idea but you could probably add snacks here and there of the right foods, maybe even only do the one meal a day for periods of time.

cman89

I just did a modified version of this today, and after being sick from a foodborne infection acquired in India, I finally decided to fast until dinner, and then eat a larger, but not massive meal of meat n veg. Some post infection symptoms were better, and I know giving my gut a rest was helpful. I felt a bit woozy and lacking in energy from normal, but my nervous symptoms improved. I will continue this for the near future at least....

Dufresne

almost there...
I once met a guy who claimed to get by on a single meal a day (and I never saw him eat more). He worked out, possessed an impressive physique, and had abundant energy. Just a phenom, really. He was working as a waiter at the time and could manage at least fifteen tables through a lunch hour. Imagine trying to serve forty people all being sat at the rate of about one table every ninety seconds!

So, yes, I think these freaks exist. But the guy in this video looks like he's been on steroids. I worked in the fitness industry for years and it's generally pretty clear when someone is using testosterone. Notice the stretch marks on his pecs/shoulders, and even on his biceps.

He's certainly put some effort into his speech. And his affectation, not to mention the staff... Quite the character!

Last edited:

GhostGum

@Dufresne I think steroids is what most rational people are assuming, he is in his early 40's too and anyone interested in biochemistry and longevity these days at that age will start using some HRT more than likely. Stretch marks across the shoulders are pretty common though for people of African descent and who work out I thought. its nice to consider this might be possible, and he has come up with some incredibly refined diet and lifestyle to pull it off, it does seem hard to believe though.

@cman89 I have been trying to modify my eating, fitting it all into a 4 hour window but its quite difficult, can not help midnight snacking on a good sourdough and honey, seems to help me sleep a lot better. I suspect this kind of thing can take many months or even years to slowly implement and would be much easier for people who are already fit and healthy, but I am sure it depends on the individual. You seen the Wim Hof stuff cman? Get the impression it might interest you, there is a good facebook group, has helped me a lot the past 12 months on getting some control back over the body. Apparently Wim only eats one meal a day as well and is also vegan.

adreno

PR activist