• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

which Mycoplasma test to get?

leaves

Hi All,

I have always felt more bacterial than viral, and I suspect I have some sort of systemic bacterial infection next to the XMRV. Because its important to treat this coinfection too, I would like to get tested. However I do not know which would be the best lab for this, any suggestions?

Oeh I just see I posted this in the wrong place, it should go to the testing place. Sorry!

Frickly

Hi Leaves,

My sister and I have M. Pneumoniae. According to my doctor, the most common mycoplasma found in patients with FMS, CFS, GWI and RA are M. fermentans, M. hominis, M. penetrans and M. pneumoniae. Many patients also have more than one species present.

leaves

Thanks Frickly! Where did you get this test done?
I am on LDN, would that bias resuls?

Frickly

My test was ordered through my doctor and done at Labcorp. I am sorry but do not know if LDN would affect the results.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Hi Leaves,

A bunch of labs do Mycoplasma antibody tests (IgM or IgG). Not sure if there is a preferred one among those.

Garth Nicolson has been researching the relationship between Mycoplasma and CFS for some time now, and you can read his thoughts on testing and his research at:

http://www.immed.org/illness/fatigue_illness_research.html

Basically, he recommends a specialized PCR test for Mycoplasma; he says the antibody tests are "relatively insensitive". On his site (above) he specifically recommends VIPdx's Mycoplasma PCR panel, which tests for a range of species.

Of course, the PCR test would be more expensive and harder to get approved by insurance (and therefore ordered by a doctor) - a problem I am struggling with myself!

I don't know how LDN would affect the results of the antibody test. I don't think it would alter a PCR test, as that detects the actual presence of the organism, instead of the presence of an immune reaction to it.

leaves

Thanks you both!
Dr Yes; yes I was thinking of doing that but it is sooo expensive. Also I figured that vip labs is pretty busy now with the xmrv thing. Oh my, I guess i need to marry a millionaire.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Hi Leaves,

In case you are interested, I do have the names of the labs my Mycoplasma antibody tests were sent to by Enlander. One test was done at Quest's Nichols Institute, a later sample was sent to Core Laboratories in NY which probably sent it out to Specialty Labs.

Thanks you both!
Dr Yes; yes I was thinking of doing that but it is sooo expensive. Also I figured that vip labs is pretty busy now with the xmrv thing. Oh my, I guess i need to marry a millionaire.

You mean you're not a millionaire? Just a moment... (scratches 'Leaves' off list). Never mind. I have nothing more to say to you. And stop calling me.

leaves

:Retro tongue: lol

thanks for that info. I'm now thinking, given the potential irreliability of antibody tests I may go for pcr instead. Did any of you have success treating those buggers?

Frickly

Hi Leaves, I have been on antibioltics for over a year. They are not gone but my numbers are improving. My symptoms and pain did decrease dramatically after starting the antibiotics so it is well worth it. However, I am really sick of taking pills.

JT1024

Be careful where you send your tests. Not all labs can test for all the various Mycoplasmas. I was going to have mine done through my work which uses Mayo Medical Labs for send out testing and not all of the Mycoplasma testing is available.

As mentioned by Frickly above, you'll need more than what is offered by most labs. LDN should not have any effect on Mycoplasma testing.

Here is info I copied from Garth Nicolsen's IMMED website quite a while ago:

MycoplasmaTest Panel (CPT: 87581)Mycoplasma species test by PCR. This is a Mycoplasma general (all species) test. Some individual tests can be ordered (Mycoplasma fermentans, Mycoplasma pneumoniae). Justification: Almost 60% of CFS/FMS and 50% of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and other autoimmune patients have one or more intracellular, systemic mycoplasmal infections similar to those found in a variety of chronic illnesses [Nicolson et al. Mycoplasmal infections in chronic illnesses: Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndromes, Gulf War Illness, HIV-AIDS and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Medical Sentinel 1999; 5:172-176]. Ultrasensitive and ultraspecific mycoplasma tests can only be done by a small number of labs, most university or government labs that have been trained by us under a U.S. government contract. Recommended Lab: VIP Laboratories of Reno, NV (http://www.vipdx.com/) Specimen Requirements: Contact laboratory for a specimen kit. The blood is collected, immediately mixed and immediately stored in a refrigerator until it is shipped (same day) in an insulated container overnight air courier to arrive within 24 hours.

From the VIPDx website: Mycoplasma Profile Qualitative (Mycoplasma Fermentans, Mycoplasma Hominis, Mycoplasma Pneumoniae)

Hope this helps.... ~ JT

leaves

Thanks JT1024 and Frickly. I will try VIP labs if their waiting list is not too long. Frickly: yes antibiotics suck. I guess I'd make sure I took my Kefir when I'll be taking them.

anncavan

Hi All,

I have always felt more bacterial than viral, and I suspect I have some sort of systemic bacterial infection next to the XMRV. Because its important to treat this coinfection too, I would like to get tested. However I do not know which would be the best lab for this, any suggestions?

Oeh I just see I posted this in the wrong place, it should go to the testing place. Sorry!

Hi @leaves,
These are the tests my doc (Dr. Lerner) runs on his CFS patients about every 6-8 weeks... After 1.5 years of testing, my western blot just came up positive 2 months ago. There's something to the co-infection theory!

Viral testing for EBV, HCMV, HHV6:
EBV serum IgM viral capsid antibodies (VCA) - Diasorin, Inc., Stillwater, MN
EBV early antigen diffuse (EA) - Diasorin, Inc., Stillwater, MN
ELISA HCMV(V) IgG and IgM serum antibodies to viral capsid, strain 169 HCMV - Diasorin, Inc., Stillwater, MN
HHV6 IgM and IgG serum - Lab Corp, Dublin, OH

Co-infection testing:
ELISA and Western blot to Borrelia burgdorferi (IgM and IgG) - Lab Corp, Dublin, OH
IgM and IgG of Babesia microti - Lab Corp, Dublin, OH
IgM and IgG of Anaplasma phagocytophila - Lab Corp, Dublin, OH
IgM and IgG of Mycoplasma pneumoniae - Lab Corp, Dublin, OH
Anti-streptolysin O (ASO) titer <400 units - Lab Corp, Dublin, OH

leaves

Wow Anncavan
that are a lot of tests :) cool he does them!
Did you notice you got worse when infected by mycoplasma?
what is Anaplasma phagocytophila and Anti-streptolysin? Never heard of them...
thank you :)

roxie60

What are the opinions regarding Lab Corp reliability of Mycoplasma p. and Anaplasma p ., well really all the above ab Corp do you feel the results were reliabe?

roxie60

Looks like VIP Dx is gone, replaced with WPI UNEVX but even that site says they are only doig cytokine testing right now. So where do people go for reliable mycoplasma testing?

roxie60

Finally saw an llmd last week (four months early). I am getting co-infection testing for bartonella, mycoplasma, babesia(I don't think I have this), bartonella and erhlichia. Blood sent to MDL. Just read article tonight that a doctor did not think MDL not a reliable lab but article was from 2009.

It seems difficult to finf reliable labs, I dont understand why???

roxie60

Im waiting to hear specifics but I agreed to more antibiotics to try and get some positive improvement then probably add in more natural options.

I am also considering taking ntfactorvto see if that will help with fatigue.