• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maureen Hanson's presentation at Solve CFS

Kati

Patient in training
Today was Maureen Hanson's webinar presented by Solve CFS and hosted by @znahle.
I managed to pick it up halfway after returning from doctor app. I totally forgot about it.

I got a couple of screenshots about her own study, the microbiome, but missed her discussion about the Naviaux paper.

I presume it will be recorded, I would like to watch it again.

But in the meantime, here are a few screen shots

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Please note she is presenting online next week, she says her presentation will be more in depth.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

dancer

I caught the earlier part, and she talked about how many similar findings their metabolomics study has to the Naviaux findings. She compared and contrasted (her study had fewer subjects, only women, and they didn't look at as many metabolites) but there was a significant overlap in findings - clear difference between patients and controls, many of the same lowered metabolites. That similar finding in a completely different geographic/patient cohort seemed really encouraging to me.

Kati

Patient in training
I caught the earlier part, and she talked about how many similar findings their metabolomics study has to the Naviaux findings. She compared and contrasted (her study had fewer subjects, only women, and they didn't look at as many metabolites) but there was a significant overlap in findings - clear difference between patients and controls, many of the same lowered metabolites. That similar finding in a completely different geographic/patient cohort seemed really encouraging to me.
Thank you @dancer, did she say if she will publish that work?

dancer

I'm sorry @Kati - she talked about several studies their group is doing, and it's all muddled in my head about what stage the various ones are at. She did have a cool comparative chart, though with their work and the Naviaux paper. AND I was very appreciative that she discussed the inappropriate photos that media used to report their other research. So awesome to have someone other than a patient understand how ridiculous and harmful those "yawning and sleepy at desk" photos are.

trishrhymes

Thanks for the link to the talk, it's excellent. Dr Hanson is such a good clear presenter of research information in a comprehensible way. So exciting to hear of all her good work along with that of Naviaux, Davis and others. It's been a good week. I wonder whether I could get my GP to watch it!

AndyPR

OK, I'm VERY non technical about ME stuff but I think even I can appreciate this
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 14.26.03.png

This is where Dr Hanson is comparing some of the results from her metabolic study that she talks about to the recent study by Dr Naviaux (Naviaux on left, Hanson on right). Significant common results found and both studies confirmed a hypometabolic state!! :woot::thumbsup::balloons:
Skip to 18 mins in if you want to get straight to the metabolic stuff

PennyIA

So, if she ends up publishing her study that found hypometabolic state... I think that DOES COUNT as an independent study that confirms the findings of Naviaux? A couple of larger ones finding the same thing would be all the leverage we need to really consider the theories validated.

Now if only we can speed through the next 5-10 years and just have a good, effective treatment already - I want my life back.

BurnA

This is a really good webinar.
Maureen Hanson has appeared out of nowhere almost, to be at the cutting edge of ME CFS research. Her soon to be published study should ensure more good publicity for ME and metabolites, and she is not shy about reminding all, about the lack of funding or the poor press treatment of ME patients.

She also mentions in this webinar work that is ongoing which could lead to more findings.

Do watch and thank her on Twitter or elsewhere if you can.

Gingergrrl

Very interesting thread and I was not familiar with Maureen Hanson before either. But the new center sounds great and I know that area well b/c my sister went to college at Cornell (many years ago)! This is very exciting that another researcher is finding a similar pattern (is that the right word) and hoping this will bring more legitimacy to all unclear illnesses soon and that the metabolomics testing will become more common.

Denise

She is not new to ME?CFS

I have been following her ME work for several years (2011 or before I believe). I remember thinking it notable that for her study on EBV(?) and ME (can't find the paper) the blood draws for the study were done in the patient's home! (To me that said she truly understood the disability associated with this disease.)

She presented at the 2011 IACFS/ME conference (work done with David Bell)
upload_2016-9-2_16-47-14.png

I agree though that she seems to be more involved in ME research now than before.

voner

I was impressed with the breadth of topics and clarity of the presentation. I wonder if she age matched her patients and controls in the metabalomics study?

IT would be very interesting to hear of her discussions with Drs Davis and Naviaux.