• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cheap blood test can discriminate between bacterial, viral infections

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...inate-between-bacterial-viral-infections.html

excerpt:
Cheap blood test can discriminate between bacterial, viral infections
A simple blood test in development could accurately identify which patients need antibiotics, Stanford researchers say.

Researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine have made an important breakthrough in their ongoing efforts to develop a diagnostic test that can tell health-care providers whether a patient has a bacterial infection and will benefit from antibiotics.

The study was published July 6 in Science Translational Medicine.

Antibiotics have saved millions of lives and created a world in which complex and lifesaving surgeries are possible. But the overuse of antibiotics threatens to create a global scourge of antibiotic-resistant bacterial pathogens. Because of this problem, public health experts regularly remind physicians to prescribe antibiotics only for bacterial infections. But too often there’s no easy way for doctors to tell whether a patient’s illness is bacterial or viral or, sometimes, if there’s any infection at all...

Hutan

From the abstract:

In a pooled analysis of 1057 samples from 20 cohorts (excluding infants), the integrated antibiotics decision model had a sensitivity and specificity for bacterial infections of 94.0 and 59.8%,

i.e. the model correctly identifies 94% of people with a bacterial infection
the model incorrectly identifies 40% of people without a bacterial infection as having one

i presume the 'integrated antibiotics decision model' includes more than just the test e.g. perhaps signs of fever etc. So probably the test alone isn't quite so good.

I really hope all these Stanford people are talking to each other.