• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dealing with AHCY first?

Are any of you dealing with AHCY? I've read it ought to be dealt with before any other SNPs that nearly any supplement used for methylation causes more trouble with AHCY but I'm not finding much data on how to handle AHCY. Would appreciate any resources/links/etc. Many thanks

Just wondering, I'll share just a few quotes below from
https://ihateticks.me/2014/10/28/the-ahcy-polymorphisms/

Of all the polymorphisms which can affect the methylation cycle, these may be the most problematic. Taking nutrients to compensate for problems in any other part of the cycle is likely to make the symptoms an AHCY polymorphism worse. This is because increasing the activity of the methylation cycle will place increased demands on this enzyme, which is produced in inadequate quantities.

Research has been published which has found thirty-nine variants of this gene, though most of them affect only 2% of the population. They vary in severity, but all reduce production of this essential enzyme.

This low percentage of the population with AHCY variants may be why I'm not getting much response on the topic.

You lose control over the rate of methylation. The AHCY polymorphisms reduce the amount of the enzyme adenosylhomocysteinase you make. The effect of this is to create something like a bottleneck in a two-way street. It means you may be overmethylating and undermethylating at random.

Valentijn

It depends on which variant you have. The ones tested by Yasko or reported by Genetic Genie are probably very common and have little or no effect at all.

Hmm okay. Is this the case for you? For it to be so common there seems to be so little information, conflicting at least. Just trying to make heads or tails of this before moving on to any other supports for methylation and SNPs. I'm looking at +/- in ACHY 1 and ACHY 19 and definitely see some of the mentioned symptoms from the above linked article but I don't currently have further testing to back up levels of anything.

Valentijn

I'm looking at +/- in ACHY 1 and ACHY 19
AHCY 1 is rs819147. 10.4% of humans are +/+ for it, and another 43.7% are +/-. Most people have these variants.

AHCY 19 is rs819171. 8.3% of people are +/+, and another 41.1% are +/-. So approximately half of the people in the world have these variants.

There's no research into either of these SNPs, and there's pretty much no chance that they cause any problems. But Yasko's approach seems to be to target common SNPs and use vague or long lists of symptoms. This means pretty much everyone is a potential client, and there are plenty of her products being marketed to them.

Thanks for the stats, I was about to look for those after I broke free from my children's paws :)
The information I linked/quoted is coming from a Lyme Disease website that also questions Yasko, so I didn't feel "swayed" but what I was reading. Perhaps the 2% is in looking at all 39 variants rather than the 2 or 3 that are being tested. My test was 23andme, so again not Yasko... I am on her forums as well and it was suggested that AHCY can have major gut/digestion issues which is true and seeing other symptoms from the lyme disease site (methionine issues, hypermethioninemia, Adenosine issues) Anyway, makes sense if half the population has ACHY variants, no complications, then there would be very little research available. Just trying to be careful/cautious and cover all bases before moving on in my research and efforts.

Thank you, Valentijn, for taking the time to discuss this with me!

Valentijn

Oh please tell me, what site did you get the percentages from? I need that resource too!
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/

Fill in the box near the top with the RS number to search, then select the first item that is listed for it. The frequency is the "MAF" at the center near the top, and the map view will link to research if you hover over the box for that SNP. Sometimes there's no research, so no box.