• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Human Herpesvirus 6 downregulates the expression of activating ligands during lytic infection to esc

JaimeS

Full title:
Human Herpesvirus 6 downregulates the expression of activating ligands during lytic infection to escape elimination by natural killer cells
Link: http://jvi.asm.org/content/early/2016/08/11/JVI.01164-16.abstract

+ Author Affiliations

The Lautenberg Center for General and Tumor Immunology, The BioMedical Research Institute Israel

Canada of the Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel.

Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel.

Central Virology Laboratory, The Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Ramat-Gan, Israel.

ABSTRACT

The herpesviridae family consists of eight viruses, most of which infect a majority in the human population. One of the less-studied members is Human Herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6, Roseolovirus) that causes a mild, well-characterized childhood disease. Primary HHV-6 infection is followed by life-long latency. Reactivation frequently occurs in immune-compromised patients, such as those suffering from HIV infection, cancer or following transplantation, and causes potentially life-threatening complications. In this study, we investigated the mechanisms HHV-6 utilizes to remain undetected by natural killer (NK) cells, key participants in the innate immune response to infections. We revealed viral mechanisms which downregulate ligands for two powerful activating NK cell receptors: ULBP1, ULBP3 and MICB that trigger NKG2D, and B7-H6 that activates NKp30. Accordingly, this downregulation impaired NK cells' ability to recognize HHV-6 infected cells. Thus, we describe for the first time immune evasion mechanisms of HHV-6 that protect lytically infected cells from NK elimination.

IMPORTANCE

Human Herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) latently infects a large portion of the human population and can reactivate in humans lacking a functional immune system, like cancer or AIDS patients. Under these conditions, it can cause life-threatening diseases. To date, actions and interplay of immune cells, and particularly cells of the innate immune system, during HHV-6 infection are poorly defined. Therefore, we aimed to understand how cells undergoing lytic HHV-6 infection are interacting with natural killer (NK) cells, an innate lymphocyte constituting the first line of defense against viral intruders. We show that HHV-6 suppresses the expression of surface proteins that alert the immune cells by triggering two major receptors on natural killer (NK) cells, NKG2D and NKp30. In consequence, HHV-6 can replicate undetected by innate immune system and potentially spread infection throughout the body.

This study advances the understanding of HHV-6 biology and its measures used to successfully escape immune elimination.

FOOTNOTES

Correspondence should be sent to Ofer Mandelboim, oferm@ekmd.huji.ac.il, Phone: +972-2-675-7515, Fax: +972-2-643-0834

Paralee

I actually understood some of that. Now to find out if there's a test for it. I don't really list everything I've had anymore, I'm always leaving something out, but I've had cancer twice.

Thanks @JaimeS , another rabbit hole to wander through.

JaimeS

I actually understood some of that. Now to find out if there's a test for it. I don't really list everything I've had anymore, I'm always leaving something out, but I've had cancer twice.

Thanks @JaimeS , another rabbit hole to wander through.

You're very welcome, Paralee! There are tests out there for the HHVs; I know Redlabs does one.