• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Rashmi Cabena

outdamnspot

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has seen Dr Rashmi Cabena and what kind of approach she takes? She normally works at CFS discovery alongside Dr Don Lewis; I've never been able to afford their $1500 fee commitment, but she's now working at NIIM (though, still, at $300 a pop). Anyway, I have an appointment to see her next week and am wondering if it's worth keeping.

$1500 doesn't sound right - the initial consult at CFS Discovery, including testing, costs $781.50 ($675 with medicare rebate, less with medicare safety net). that includes a VERY long consult to understand your full medical history, and lots of testing. additional consults from $105 to $300, depending on time. might be comparable $ to NIIM, long term ?

either way - she's studied the methods of many ME/CFS doctors, world-wide. and uses many different approaches.

outdamnspot

$1500 doesn't sound right - the initial consult at CFS Discovery, including testing, costs $781.50 ($675 with medicare rebate, less with medicare safety net). that includes a VERY long consult to understand your full medical history, and lots of testing. additional consults from $105 to $300, depending on time. might be comparable $ to NIIM, long term ?

either way - she's studied the methods of many ME/CFS doctors, world-wide. and uses many different approaches.

I was told the cost of the first three appointments at CFS discovery + all the testing would be $1500.

I suspect I have a chronic bacterial infection, but was also told she's very reluctant to use abx, so not sure what to do.

EtherSpin

I was told the cost of the first three appointments at CFS discovery + all the testing would be $1500.

I suspect I have a chronic bacterial infection, but was also told she's very reluctant to use abx, so not sure what to do.
reluctant to use antibiotics? anti and pro biotics are some of their most utilised treatments there and one of the initial tests is faecal so they can determine gut lining makeup and address any nasties.
anti and pro biotics for specific bacteria are favoured over things like anti-virals.

lovely doctor I should add.
always felt my struggles with insurance company, family/friends and centrelink etc were understood

outdamnspot

reluctant to use antibiotics? anti and pro biotics are some of their most utilised treatments there and one of the initial tests is faecal so they can determine gut lining makeup and address any nasties.
anti and pro biotics for specific bacteria are favoured over things like anti-virals.

lovely doctor I should add.
always felt my struggles with insurance company, family/friends and centrelink etc were understood

you replied to me on reddit too. I was talking to a patient who sees Dr Cabena for Lyme and she said she had to beg her for abx, which she reluctantly prescribed

EtherSpin

ah! lyme is a different story and they use herbal antibiotic and antiviral agents for that but i think traditional antibiotics as well.
I haven't got pos lyme results so can only speak for the CFS stuff :)