• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain on the inside of both knees

rosie26

I've been getting pain in both knees in the area between the bone and outside of skin on the insides of my knees. It's just that area of tissue.

I did a really big walk about 2 months ago after a hospital appointment - I walked home through the park. I couldn't resist doing this same walk that I used to do when I had once worked there. I knew I shouldn't have but it was so tempting and a lovely day. Ever since I am quite sore and feel streaks of pain. Kind of feels like something is taut. I also feel like I have put on a bit of fat on the insides of my knees which is a surprise considering it's been hard putting on weight during this whole illness. I'm now wondering if there is slight swelling perhaps.

I thought it would have gone away by now but it feels just the same as when it first began a few months ago.

Anyone else get this and any ideas what it might be.

taniaaust1

I've been getting pain in both knees in the area between the bone and outside of skin on the insides of my knees. It's just that area of tissue.
rosie, right in that spot is an FM tender point (used to be one of the points used in the FM diagnostic criteria, I dont know if its diagnosed in this way any more).

That one used to flare on me a lot back when I had FM and I used to have to sleep with a pillow between my legs due to this tender point.

I did a really big walk about 2 months ago after a hospital appointment - I walked home through the park. I couldn't resist doing this same walk that I used to do when I had once worked there. I knew I shouldn't have but it was so tempting and a lovely day. Ever since I am quite sore and feel streaks of pain.

Its sad but we often really shouldnt do the things we did before we got ill. Seeing you are no better after that walk 2 months ago. Its sounding like that walk was too much and now you have a new symptom with your ME/CFS , FM to some degree.

Take care not to over do it with your ME/CFS as we can get stuck with new symptoms or coexistors. It can be easier to prevent this illness getting worst then fixing it when it does.

Incidences of over doing is like playing russian roulette.

Last edited:
I have the exact same thing. Diagnosed as soft tissue damage caused by mechanical injury. Really, nobody here can possibly diagnose what the problem is. Could be a lot of things as the knees can have many issues associated with them. I would see a doctor so they can suggest specific relief for what they diagnose. Most treatments involve anti-inflammatories, heat and/or cold, mechanical support.

Paralee

Try looking up pseudo gout (or gout). They will try and tell you it's osteoarthritis....and it could be.....or not.

Psuedogout has a long history of being associated with hyperparathyroidism, tmj, hemochromotosis, hypothyroidism........or the opposites, maybe.....hyperthyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, hemophilia......I think I read about the opposites...always re-check what I think I read..safer that way. Oh yes, low mag and several other things.

Pseudogout can also be side by side with gout or osteoarthritis, etc. It's complicated.

rosie26

rosie, right in that spot is an FM tender point (used to be one of the points used in the FM diagnostic criteria, I dont know if its diagnosed in this way any more).

That one used to flare on me a lot back when I had FM and I used to have to sleep with a pillow between my legs due to this tender point.

Its sad but we often really shouldnt do the things we did before we got ill. Seeing you are no better after that walk 2 months ago. Its sounding like that walk was too much and now you have a new symptom with your ME/CFS , FM to some degree.

Take care not to over do it with your ME/CFS as we can get stuck with new symptoms or coexistors. It can be easier to prevent this illness getting worst then fixing it when it does.

Incidences of over doing is like playing russian roulette.
Thanks Tania. The small pillow is great. I had to do that years ago because I noticed bruising on the inside of my knees and realized the bony bit on my knee was giving my other knee a bruise. :eek: I still have a pillow for my knees though I feel like I have more cushioning in the way of fat at them moment.

rosie26

Could it be enthesitis? You have one of the bugs that causes ReA (which has enthesitis as one of its symptoms), don´t you?
Yes, I have reactive arthritis along with my ME. It does feel much the same as enthesitis actually. I thought enthesitis was the name for problems with the foot only but sounds like it must be a broader term.

Would you be interested in a private group for members who have reactive arthritis along with ME?

Last edited:

rosie26

I have the exact same thing. Diagnosed as soft tissue damage caused by mechanical injury. Really, nobody here can possibly diagnose what the problem is. Could be a lot of things as the knees can have many issues associated with them. I would see a doctor so they can suggest specific relief for what they diagnose. Most treatments involve anti-inflammatories, heat and/or cold, mechanical support.
How long have you had it @Kina and do you find it goes away for awhile and then comes back again? So far it has hung around and not gone away at all for me.

I notice it most when I straighten my leg out after having it bent for awhile. Also when walking it catches and it feels like I am lugging around a bit of extra weight at the inside of my knees. I definitely have put on some weight there as today when I slowly walked to the shop my knees were knocking a bit - this happened to me as child - very amusing. It's been a long time since I had knees that slightly knocked when walking.

rosie26

Try looking up pseudo gout (or gout). They will try and tell you it's osteoarthritis....and it could be.....or not.

Psuedogout has a long history of being associated with hyperparathyroidism, tmj, hemochromotosis, hypothyroidism........or the opposites, maybe.....hyperthyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, hemophilia......I think I read about the opposites...always re-check what I think I read..safer that way. Oh yes, low mag and several other things.

Pseudogout can also be side by side with gout or osteoarthritis, etc. It's complicated.
I think this was mentioned to me somewhere else. I'm sure I looked it up recently. I will check it out again. Thanks @Paralee

msf

Yes, I have reactive arthritis along with my ME. It does feel much the same as enthesitis actually. I thought enthesitis was the name for problems with the foot only but sounds like it must be a broader term.

Would you be interested in a private group for members who have reactive arthritis along with ME?

Sure, that sounds like it might be helpful, although I think a sub forum would be better, as it could help those who do not know they have or have had one of these bugs. I don´t actually have ReA though, it´s just that my ME was triggered by Yersinia and I have had some (but not all) of the symptoms of ReA.

Enthesitis can occur anywhere there are entheses. The first year I was ill I had pretty much everywhere, including in the knees.

Last edited:
How long have you had it @Kina and do you find it goes away for awhile and then comes back again? So far it has hung around and not gone away at all for me.

I notice it most when I straighten my leg out after having it bent for awhile. Also when walking it catches and it feels like I am lugging around a bit of extra weight at the inside of my knees. I definitely have put on some weight there as today when I slowly walked to the shop my knees were knocking a bit - this happened to me as child - very amusing. It's been a long time since I had knees that slightly knocked when walking.

I have had it one knee since 2010 and in the other since last year. It comes and goes related to level of activity or position. I had an MRI on one knee and then this year x-rays showing no damage to the bone, therefore ruling out osteoarthritis.

Paralee

Pseudo gout will come and go most of the time.

@rosie26 , can you explain a little bit about reactive arthritis? I've seen it mentioned but haven't seen much on it. I will also try and search again. Thanks.

Edit: I just found something about it, it can be caused by genetics, a previous disease, or from an std. Wonderful! Wikipedia showed two different type knees but didn't say which one had the reactive arthritis.

Thanks for bringing this up, ever learning.........

Last edited:

Paralee

About the knees going inward, knocking? Do I have that right? I've recently read that according to the type of arthritis some will bow in and some Knees/legs will bow out. Again, check me out.

rosie26

Sure, that sounds like it might be helpful, although I think a sub forum would be better, as it could help those who do not know they have or have had one of these bugs. I don´t actually have ReA though, it´s just that my ME was triggered by Yersinia and I have had some (but not all) of the symptoms of ReA.

Enthesitis can occur anywhere there are entheses. The first year I was ill I had pretty much everywhere, including in the knees.
I agree, it would be great to have a sub forum. Like you I haven't had the painful swollen joints of reactive arthritis but I have other symptoms of reactive arthritis so I don't know what else to call it other than reactive arthritis. We need another name it seems?

Last edited:

rosie26

I have had it one knee since 2010 and in the other since last year. It comes and goes related to level of activity or position. I had an MRI on one knee and then this year x-rays showing no damage to the bone, therefore ruling out osteoarthritis.
Thanks @Kina. This particular soreness in the inside knee seems related to level of activity and position for me as well. My knee joints feel fine. That's great your tests were clear of osteoarthritis.

@msf mentioned that it would be good to have a forum for reactive arthritis, or rheumatology illnesses. That would be great if possible?

Last edited:

rosie26

Pseudo gout will come and go most of the time.

@rosie26 , can you explain a little bit about reactive arthritis? I've seen it mentioned but haven't seen much on it. I will also try and search again. Thanks.

Edit: I just found something about it, it can be caused by genetics, a previous disease, or from an std. Wonderful! Wikipedia showed two different type knees but didn't say which one had the reactive arthritis.

Thanks for bringing this up, ever learning.........
I'm still learning about it too @Paralee. :D

Just a bit of history.... I caught chlamydia trachomatis when I was 20 years old and was never the same after that infection. I had pelvic pressure pain and changes in microbiota that have been permanent. This was over 30 years ago. I saw a lot of doctors about it but no one ever mentioned the connection between chlamydia and reactive arthritis to me. I only learnt of it over a year ago - I was stunned.

Ten years after this infection a flu triggered mild onset ME symptoms ( the cognitive symptoms were severe though). Then another flu a few more years later threw me into severe ME. So it seems that flu and reactive arthritis combined, triggered ME for me. I can't think of anything else that could have caused me to get so sick with ME.

Last edited: