• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ - Interview with Michael Sharpe

Dolphin

So, the title of the article seems to be "Michael Sharpe: Psychiatry Was No 'Waste Of A Career'". Am I reading that correctly?

Is it me, or does that strike anyone as a bit defensive?
Background:
What was your best career move?
My decision to change from general medicine to psychiatry was difficult: senior medical colleagues sat me down and explained how it would be “a waste of a career.” My move was eventually facilitated by a few supportive words from a senior colleague, who helped me to see it as a development of my training as a physician rather than an abandonment of it. It was a good move.

duncan

A bit of spin, with some justification thrown in for good measure?

Yeah, I'm thinking a tad defensive.

Maybe there is some tacit regret about not becoming a "train driver"? All things being equal, can anyone blame him?

sarah darwins

I ran this through my word processor's famous "Tell the Truth?" autocorrect feature, with some surprising results:

"My colleagues begged me not to do it" —> "They couldn't wait to get rid of me, the bastards"

"I have no regrets" —> "I should have got a knighthood. Simon got one. Why didn't I get one?"

Esther12

Disappointing there was no PACE stuff. At this point it would have been hard for even the BMJ to pretend there were not serious problems with it. The more they speak about it the more ridiculous they look imo.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
So, the title of the article seems to be "Michael Sharpe: Psychiatry Was No 'Waste Of A Career'". Am I reading that correctly?
How typically egotistical of him to only think of waste in terms of his career, and to ignore the wasted lives of thousands of ME sufferers due to the harmful drivel he produced during his "career". He careered through the ME landscape laying waste left right and centre.

Sea

How typically egotistical of him to only think of waste in terms of his career, and to ignore the wasted lives of thousands of ME sufferers due to the harmful drivel he produced during his "career". He careered through the ME landscape laying waste left right and centre.
While that is very true, it's hard to know whether he would have done equal damage as a medical physician

Yogi

Why has the bmj not mentioned the PACE trial? They should do some coverage of the PACE trial developments over the last year. Anyone got any good contacts at bmj?

Certainly not a "wasted career"!!!!!

gifgifs.com

Michael Sharpe is not very eager to now talk about PACE after Tuller's investigation or his very lucrative insurance work which benefits from muddying and obfuscating the neurological disease ME/CFS with his integrating of psychiatry. Note - Insurance policies limit claims for 2 years for psychiatric diagnoses.

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Notes_on_the_Insurance_issue_in_ME.htm

http://www.virology.ws/2015/11/17/t...surance-companies-not-related-to-pace-really/

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Malingering_and_Illness_Deception.pdf

Michael Sharpe's chapter is 12

Last edited: