• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme, doxycycline, neuro, stiffness, tongue, weird

Skippa

Anti-BS
Ha! Interesting thread title, I hope this thread is in the right place 'cos I just can't decide where to put it.

I'm on a month's doxycycline 'cos Lyme, but just to muddy the waters I'm battling an opium habit (next appt tomorrow 'cos a 24 hour gastritis caused me to me miss the last one grrr...)

A symptom has been really bothering me, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

It is a kind of neck stiffness, pressured ears, tongue stiffness, subtle pain in head and radiating down arms, slightly numb face (although I retain full movement and can feel just fine when I poke and prod).

I thought this was an acute Lyme attack in this area, and doctor agrees, and I did have a slight sore throat... But... It feels much more than that.

A bit worrying, like it's a neurological failure of facial nerves, I keep thinking I'm going to have a seizure, the whole facial muscle network keeps feeling like it's going to freak right out and spasm or explode or something.

As it builds I get a slight lisp and can't talk to much 'cos it feels like I'm going to "pull" my tongue muscles.

Anyone experienced anything similar, and what did it turn out to be?

If it IS a Lyme symptom , then can I expect it to get worse as part of the battle, or possibly herx?

Daffodil

my uncle had something similar and said it turned out to be lyme infection but said it resolved with antibiotics.

could it be a herpes virus activation?

Dufresne

almost there...
The neuro symptoms, neck stiffness, pressure in ears, and pain in head all sound familiar (being acquainted with Lyme forums and testimonials).

Of course Lyme is known to cause Bell's Palsy, which involves infection of facial nerves.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Thanks, yeah been poking around some lyme discussions today, sounds about right!

*sigh*

Valentijn

A bit worrying, like it's a neurological failure of facial nerves, I keep thinking I'm going to have a seizure, the whole facial muscle network keeps feeling like it's going to freak right out and spasm or explode or something.
It sounds a bit similar to Bell's Palsy. If so, it could suggest neuroborreliosis. It would be a very good idea to talk to your doctor about it, as it might indicate treatment with IV antibiotics instead of just oral.

Skippa

Anti-BS
It sounds a bit similar to Bell's Palsy. If so, it could suggest neuroborreliosis. It would be a very good idea to talk to your doctor about it, as it might indicate treatment with IV antibiotics instead of just oral.

Eek, thanks, yeah I'll bear that in mind when I go back, thanks.

ETA: from wikipedia: Several studies from Europe have suggested oral doxycycline is equally as effective as intravenous ceftriaxone in treating neuroborreliosis

Last edited:

Hugo

Ha! Interesting thread title, I hope this thread is in the right place 'cos I just can't decide where to put it.

I'm on a month's doxycycline 'cos Lyme, but just to muddy the waters I'm battling an opium habit (next appt tomorrow 'cos a 24 hour gastritis caused me to me miss the last one grrr...)

A symptom has been really bothering me, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

It is a kind of neck stiffness, pressured ears, tongue stiffness, subtle pain in head and radiating down arms, slightly numb face (although I retain full movement and can feel just fine when I poke and prod).

I thought this was an acute Lyme attack in this area, and doctor agrees, and I did have a slight sore throat... But... It feels much more than that.

As it builds I get a slight lisp and can't talk to much 'cos it feels like I'm going to "pull" my tongue muscles.

Anyone experienced anything similar, and what did it turn out to be?

If it IS a Lyme symptom , then can I expect it to get worse as part of the battle, or possibly herx?

I have lyme and I got all the symtoms you described and some more strange like strange flashes in my eyes. The tounge version feels really strange (though that was really long time I got that one). Pressured ears and throat pain is one of the more problematic symtoms. Neck stiffness is very typicall of lyme and mostly early lyme for me. Now I got more pain in all muscles mostly after movements though. Ofc you should check for other problems if youre nervous about it being a seizure but generally this is symtoms of lyme.

Hugo

Since you probably are early in your lyme you may get rid of it fast if your lucky. If it will be more persistent there are some new methods like tetra and fluconazole heavy doses two weeks and then two weeks off and start again with two weeks on and so on. This is kind of a better version if you have problem with antibiotics (the theory behind it is that the lyme hides when its attacked by antibiotics and it comes out of hiding when you take the break).

Skippa

Anti-BS
Thanks @johmil it's certainly reassuring to know it's most likely lyme and not some as yet undiagnosed new problem!

Do you still have symptoms or did you get it treated successfully?

Hugo

Thanks @johmil it's certainly reassuring to know it's most likely lyme and not some as yet undiagnosed new problem!

Do you still have symptoms or did you get it treated successfully?

Unfortnatly no.. But many people have and its mostly timing, how early youre starting the treatment. I got problem with serious candida after a long course and couldnt continue. Dont really know what to do right now but I guess I do herbs and ME treatment and since the pulse treatment seem to be rather succesfull I dont need to be on antibiotics all the time (even though this long break I been on cant be good). Tetra though is terrible for my candida.