• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BrigitteDas chronische Erschöpfungssyndrom machte mich zu (German womens magazine ME + PACE trial)

Yogi

Das chronische Erschöpfungssyndrom machte mich zum Pflegefall

Melanie Schickedanz leidet unter dem chronischen Erschöpfungssyndrom. Das häufigste Vorurteil: Die Frau hat sich nicht im Griff.

Im Jahr 2004 brach bei Melanie Schickedanz (36) die Erkrankung Myalgische Enzephalomyelitis (ME) aus, auch chronisches Erschöpfungssyndrom genannt. Sie wurde 2010 bettlägerig, 2011 zum Pflegefall. Soweit es der Zustand der gelernten Bürokauffrau zulässt, setzt sie sich für die Aufklärung der Erkrankung ein. In ihrem Blog berichtet sie über ME.

http://m.brigitte.de/aktuell/stimme...drom-machte-mich-zum-pflegefall-10834908.html

English translation:

Melanie Schickedanz suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome. The most common prejudice: The woman has not under control.

In 2004 broke with Melanie Schickedanz (36) the disease Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) from, also called chronic fatigue syndrome. She was bedridden in 2010, 2011 for the long-term care.To the extent permitted by the state of skilled office clerk, she is committed to the education of the disease. In her blog she talks about ME.

Google translates into English but if any German speakers here able to translate properly?

She also writes at Huffington Post Germany

http://www.huffingtonpost.de/melanie-schickedanz/

Last edited:

Yogi

Any way to get an English translation? My German consists of bratwurst and Hefeweizen

Google should do an automatic translation if you click it but not the best.

Your German is about same as mine as it only consists of 'Vorsprung durch technik'

A.B.

She is reporting that her ME was seemingly triggered by an infusion for treating her sudden idiopathic hearing loss (hope that's translated right). What she received isn't specified but guidelines in Germany recommend high dose cortisone, as tablet or infusion, so that was probably it.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Okay!
(Crosses arms over chest, tapping foot inpatiently while keeping an eye on the clock.)

I'd have got it done much quicker if you hadn't been looming over me like that ...

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome turned me into an invalid/nursing case.

Melanie Schickendanz suffers from CFS. The most common prejudice: The woman can’t cope.

In 2004 Melanie Schickendanz (36) went down with ME, also called CFS. She was bedridden in 2010, and reduced to a care case in 2011. As far as the trained office administrator is able, she commits herself to educating people about the illness. In her blog she reports on ME.

Hardly Any Doctor Took Me Seriously.
Even during an infusion to treat sudden deafness in 2004, I felt strange. I had hardly got home before I vomited and my temperature rose to nearly 40 degrees. Although I improved a little over the next few days, I became weaker and weaker.

After one year I could no longer work and was officially signed off sick. But hardly any doctor took me seriously. The health insurers put me under pressure with weekly phone calls telling me to go back to work. As soon as I could just about manage to walk a few steps, thanks to an alternative practitioner, I went back to full-time work at the office. Even though I was only commuting between work and bed, my body broke down completely after a few months. In end I was hardly able to lift a full file out of the office cupboard.

Once again I was sent from one doctor to the next. One would accuse me of being lazy, the next, that I was imagining everything. One doctor told me to find a man so that I could have a decent sex life.

It only became clear in 2008 what my problem was – thanks to the infusion, I had gone down with ME.

What is ME?
ME stands for the illness „Myalgic Encephalomyelitis“, also known by the trivializing and confusing name CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). With 300,000 affected in Germany (17 million worldwide) we have more CFS sufferers than HIV or MS patients.

Since 1969 ME has been classified as an illness of the central nervous system and is diagnosed by exclusion. Even so, I had to pay the costs of ME-relevant blood tests and dietary supplements myself. To date my expenses run into five figures.

What ME Does To You
The effects of ME are devastating. A main feature is the indescribable bodily weakness, a strong feeling of illness (malaise) and deterioration following physical or mental exertion. In addition gastrointestinal problems, swollen and painful lymph nodes, throat infections, susceptibility to infections, pains all over the body, heart problems.

The consequences of ME can be fatal.

The limitations range from difficulty managing daily living to being completely bedridden in a dark room, unable to speak and being artificially fed. Often more than one family member becomes ill. ME also affects children and young people.

A Danish study which investigated the quality of life of ill people showed that ME patients have the the lowest quality of life. In the whole of Germany, there is no clinic and no care home equipped to deal with severe ME patients. A stay at a clinic is so stressful that it worsens the condition.

Relief followed by disillusionment
After the initial relief of finally knowing what I have, and the hope that I could be helped, followed the disillusionment: ME is incurable and there is no standard treatment. There is also no basic medical care for us. Germany does not award any research funds for ME.

On top of this, sufferers fall through the social safety net. You are forced to fight to have your disability and incapacity to work recognised, often without success and with the result that your condition further worsens due to overexertion.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis versus Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
A fatigue syndrome is an attendant symptom of many illnesses. As ME is often also called “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”, this leads to confusion. The illness is often mentioned in the same breath as burnout, depression, overwork and anxiety disorder.

To get a diagnosis of ME, psychological illnesses have to be excluded as the cause, even though umpteen studies have clearly proved that ME has physical causes.

Three wrong statements appear again and again about ME:

1. “Those affected suffer from tiredness”

Sufferers’ bodies are no longer capable of generating energy. This has nothing to do with tiredness.

2. "Those affected should pull themselves together."

It is the body that is lacking energy, not the sufferer who is lacking willpower.

3. "Physical exercise helps."

Physical exertion makes ME worse.

When Rigged Studies Cause Harm
Again and again, CBT and GET are cited as successful treatments. Recently articles by journalist and health expert David Tuller have received a lot of attention, in which, together with other experts, he uncovered how the famous PACE study was fiddled in order to falsely claim that GET and CBT help with ME. Since then other journalists and experts have also come to the conclusion that the study contains huge errors.

Also in Germany, thanks to this study, sufferers are forced to undergo such treatments and worsen their condition, under threat of having their financial existence removed.

The Worst Thing is the Prejudice
The illness turned me into a bedridden care case. However, the worst thing about the illness is the prejudice from my fellow human beings, and that I have to continually justify my poor state of health.

She missed out headaches in her list of symptoms, but apart from that minor quibble a great article, especially the no-nonsense description of PACE and its harmful effects in a mainstream popular German magazine. The kind of article you can send to friends in the hope that they might "get it".

She's also written articles for the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.de/melanie-schickedanz/

Clicking through to the articles, they are similarly excellent and also give PACE a mention. Don't know what the readership of the German Huffington Post is, none of her articles seem to have attracted any comments.

barbc56

I'd have got it done much quicker if you hadn't been looming over me like
I must have a long neck if was able to stretch it all the way to Germany.

Now my neck muscles are all bunched up and I'm getting a headache. Obviously, this is your fault.

But, seriously, thank you for the hard work put into the translation. Funny but I thought you were a native born German. I lived in Bonn for six months with my boyfriend who was on sabatical at the University of Bonn. Oddly enough he was a professor of statistics. (oops, I think that subject was on another thread) I picked up the german I learned in college fairly rapidly as I was emersed in the culture but once I was back in the states, it was quickly forgotten.