• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Who is responsible?" blogpost by Sally Burch

Dolphin

By Sally Burch

Who is responsible?

Who takes responsibility when National Health Service guidelines cause medical harm?

I am asking because, the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines for myalgic encephalomyelitis, ME, still recommend two controversial therapies: Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT).

continues at:

http://sallyjustme.blogspot.ie/2016/08/who-is-responsible.html

Dolphin

Yet General Practice doctors consult NICE guidelines, see the word "exercise" and regularly tell their ME patients to get out and starting exercising.

I too was given this advice at the start of my illness. "Three short brisk walks a day", I was told. It didn't work for me, and I doubt it would work for anyone with this debilitating disease. Why would it? One of the main problems with the disease is that exertion of any kind exacerbates all symptoms. Indeed, in my own case, trying to follow the advice I was given led only to increasing disability.

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
Thank you @Dolphin for sharing this post. I really wish that writing could make an actual difference, but I guess we can just hope we somehow build momentum,and eventually somebody properly notices.. :)
Thanks for taking your precious energy to write your latest blog post @Keela Too. I think articles and blogs like yours make a difference in many ways. You are part of the patient revolution! I consider strong, out-spoken women like you to be motivational and am very grateful for your efforts. :star::star::star::star::star: