• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Olmesartan for autoimmune diseases, including ME

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
This study by Blaney showed elevated serum levels of Vitamin 1,25 D indicated an autoimmune disease:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19758177

In this presentation, Blaney describes 3 case studies of an autoimmune disease and treatment with Olmesartan:

In this presentation by Lindseth on her work with Blaney, she describes their use of Olmesartan for ME:

http://autoimmunityresearch.org/transcripts/Auto2012_IngeLindseth.pdf

So, my question - has any one here with elevated Vitamin 1,25 D serum levels tried Olmesartan? If so, how'd it go?

junkcrap50

EDIT: DOH! I'm an idiot. Just saw after posting that the image of the video references Dr. Marshall, that the pubmed link has Amy Proal, an associate of Dr. Marshall (and CFS patient that cured herself with the MP), as a coauthor, and the PDF author as a Marshall Protocol associate. So, looks like they are associated with it. I am glad however, that there's more research and studies on this.

This is very similar to the The Marshall Protocol and the research done by those associated with the Marshall Protocol. I wounder if these two doctors are associated with the Marshall Protocol or not. I looked into the MP a long time ago and concluded that there was not enough evidence to support Marshall's theories and the protocol was too radical and controversial for what I was comfortable with (you are to avoid sunlight and lower your Vit D levels as low as humanly possible).

Their theory, in a nutshell, is that cell-wall deficient bacteria and other bacteria endotoxins occupy the Vitamin D Receptor sites on immune cells, blocking Vit. D from attaching and thus stimulating the immune system. According to the MP, Olmesartan is supposed to clear the receptor sites and allow the immune to normalize. GcMAF is supposed to work similarly, in that, it too is supposed to free up Vit. D receptor sites. So, I've always wondered if Olmesartan really does what the MP says and if it would help immune function. I'm interested in viewing the video.

To your question, no, I haven't tried Olmesartan, but my Vit. 1,25 D levels are high according to the MP's range and limit. I would guess you won't find many people here that have tried it with high levels of 1,25, as the only indication for doing so has been the Marshall Protocol, which is controversial (I don't know how it's received or thought of on these forums). There is a Marshall Protocol support site/forum that you may be interested in looking at to see other people's stories and experiences.

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Thanks for the info - I took a quick peak at the MP site, encouraging stuff - the forum site requires registration which is a bit of a turn-off.

Dufresne

almost there...
I was curious about the MP (and indeed that's what this video is about) because I believe the theory about intracellular pathogens being the driving force behind this disease is correct. So I signed up with their forum, learned a bit more, and tried the olmesartan. I was also open to the idea because I had the vitamin D profile Marshall predicts. However after trying it for a week or so I didn't notice any die-off or relief from my symptoms. Moreover the drop in BP was a big problem for me. I didn't feel well, and not in a way I could attribute to a herx.

I also didn't care for the forum as I detected some brainwashing there. I'm not saying there's nothing to the MP, just that I didn't get the impression it was going to do me any good. It also troubles me that they suggest such a long time before the hell ends and life begins. I can't imagine the faith it would take to make it through three, five, or eight years of that shit. I know many people who've made huge progress and even recovered from chronic Lyme that didn't have to go through that horrible light sensitivity to get on top of their intracellular infections. So I don't think that, which is so common with the MP, is actually a herx.

Also the idea that olmesartan would have a greater affinity for the VDR than D 1,25 (which is already elevated and in abundant supply) didn't make any sense to me. Can olmesartan dislodge bacterial ligands from the VDR? Who knows for sure, but I doubt it. All that said, I have encountered a couple people on our forum here who believe the MP helped them.

ScottTriGuy

Thanks for sharing @Dufresne - I just did read some of the PR threads about the MP - reactions are all over the place...perhaps an indication of a responsive sub-group - pulsing low dose antibiotics raises a red flag - I don't have pain, which one observer noted in those who responded well - I'm going to fetch my D 1,25 results from my doc today, so that may inform my direction.

Hugo

I was curious about the MP (and indeed that's what this video is about) because I believe the theory about intracellular pathogens being the driving force behind this disease is correct. So I signed up with their forum, learned a bit more, and tried the olmesartan. I was also open to the idea because I had the vitamin D profile Marshall predicts. However after trying it for a week or so I didn't notice any die-off or relief from my symptoms. Moreover the drop in BP was a big problem for me. I didn't feel well, and not in a way I could attribute to a herx.

I also didn't care for the forum as I detected some brainwashing involved that forum. I'm not saying there's nothing to the MP, just that I didn't get the impression it was going to do me any good. It also troubles me that they suggest such a long time before the hell ends and life begins. I can't imagine the faith it would take to make it through three, five, or eight years of that shit. I know many people who've made huge progress and even recovered from chronic Lyme that didn't have to go through that horrible light sensitivity to get on top of their intracellular infections. So I don't think that, which is so common with the MP, is actually a herx.

Also the idea that olmesartan would have a greater affinity for the VDR than D 1,25 (which is already elevated and in abundant supply) didn't make any sense to me. Can olmesartan dislodge bacterial ligands from the VDR? Who knows for sure, but I doubt it. All that said, I have encountered a couple people on our forum here who believe the MP helped them.

I read the forum when it still was open and it was without a doubt brainwashing in the forum atleast. Some real nasty stuff where said to people who werent able to endure this hard treatment. The strange attitude in this group made it hard to know if its any truth or not to this treatment and at that time seemed to be some kind of cultish behaviour in the forum atleast. This may have changed now though, I dont know.

The persons I know that tried MP dropped out for the same reason you did. Low blood pressure. To live for a long time with an low blood pressure, avoiding the sun and have light sensitivity is really a big sacrifice and you more or less have to know that it works to endure that.

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
@ScottTriGuy I'm also lucky enough to not have any pain. I'd say there's not much harm in trying the MP. I do think the vitamin D imbalance is a curious thing. It might suggest there's difficulty getting activating the receptor.

I'm actually looking into the whole GcMAF thing at the moment. Apparently Dr Ruggiero believes GcMAF is a carrier for the nutrients needed to activate the VDR and is now offering a product with these nutrients (vitamin d2 and 3, oleic acid, and chondroitin sulfate) called Rerum. So I've ordered these separately and intend to see if taking them will boost my immune system.

junkcrap50

I also didn't care for the forum as I detected some brainwashing there. I'm not saying there's nothing to the MP, just that I didn't get the impression it was going to do me any good. It also troubles me that they suggest such a long time before the hell ends and life begins. I can't imagine the faith it would take to make it through three, five, or eight years of that shit. I know many people who've made huge progress and even recovered from chronic Lyme that didn't have to go through that horrible light sensitivity to get on top of their intracellular infections. So I don't think that, which is so common with the MP, is actually a herx.

I've heard about the brainwashing before. Though, I can understand one's dedication to it if it fully cured him/her. But, often the response they have to significant side effects and little to no improvement is, respectively: "That's good [you're suffering]. That means it's working!" and "Well, you just have to be on it [suffer] longer!" No time frame is long enough for them. If 3 years didnt work, then do 5 years, then 8 years, then 10 years. I can't imagine the horrible side effects for 1-3 years, much less 8.

I agree that I don't the "herx" symptoms are actually herx reactions. Real, true herx reactions (as a result of microbe die off) aren't nearly as common as the CFS/ME/Lyme/MP/Alternative Med/Chronic Illness community says. It's actually fairly uncommon. What many preceive as herx is really just unrestrained inflammation. So, I doubt that the Marshall Protocol is really invoking herx for 3+ years. Rather, I think it is just excessive inflammation, mostly brain inflammation. So I think the protocol manipulates or causes inflammation some how. I don't have any evidence to point to, it's just my gut feeling. I can't believe MP patients are so widely and thoroughly infected that it takes 3+ years to clear the system.

What frustrates me with Dr. Marshall and his associates is that they make far too great of a leap to their conclusions. They have some preliminary evidence that is interesting but doesn't exactly explain the mechanism, then they come up with a hypothesis and possible explanation of the mechanism, but then they just take their assumed explanation as fact. They never do the basic nitty gritty science work of confirming the mechanism. They don't seem to respect the fact that there's a lot out there about the immune system they don't know or even don't know they don't know.