• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to avoid a crash when you strained yourself

Hugo

A big renovation in my flat made me do a whole lot of to physical exhausting things, like for example selling a couple of bookshelfs and when the buyer came I had forgotten to say that he need another person to help him carry the shelfs. I helped him with the two bookshelfs down the stairs, this was way over the top of what I can take. I didnt felt to much that day. But the second day it strucked me with fatigue and muscle pain.

The rest of the renovation also took a physical toll on me. I will recover ofc. infection is even worse for me in the long run than temporary strain. But do anyone know something that could help even little in situations with a lot of physical strain? I know that resting is the best method ofc, but can you rest in a certain way? Is there any medication that someone have found to help somewhat?

Last edited:

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Ibuprophen ... or however it's spelled.... Helped me cope some days when I had done a bit much.
Also like the sodium bicarbonate idea.
Epsom salts in a relaxing bath maybe?
And of course REST! Meh.

Hugo

Aha sodium bicarbonate is easy to try so I will do that. Ibuprofen I used last time and I thinked it might have helped.

taniaaust1

A big renovation in my flat made me do a whole lot of to physical exhausting things, like for example selling a couple of bookshelfs and when the buyer came I had forgotten to say that he need another person to help him carry the shelfs. I helped him with the two bookshelfs down the stairs, this was way over the top of what I can take. I didnt felt to much that day. But the second day it strucked me with fatigue and muscle pain.

If i know Ive over done it, I suggest not to wait till the second day when you are getting symptoms to rest but rather rest as soon as you are aware you have over done. I'll send myself to bed sometimes before i get the symptoms come in from an overdo as so then they often come in less.

I know of nothing myself other then rest which helps me if Ive over done it (oh boosting ones hydration may help a little as with typically with over doing it, in my case it also makes my POTS worst).

Nothing really beats rest if you have overdone.

Hugo

If i know Ive over done it, I suggest not to wait till the second day when you are getting symptoms to rest but rather rest as soon as you are aware you have over done. I'll send myself to bed sometimes before i get the symptoms come in from an overdo as so then they often come in less.

I know of nothing myself other then rest which helps me if Ive over done it (oh boosting ones hydration may help a little as with typically with over doing it, in my case it also makes my POTS worst).

Nothing really beats rest if you have overdone.

No I belive youre right. I did rest immediatly after the shelves transportation where finished and took an ibuprofen since I thought it might be somewhat preventive. Drinking is a good advice, suppose it could be good for POTS but maybe also if lactic acid is a problem since lactic acid is water soluble. I read that there are others mean to reduce lactic acid like taking magnesium and b-vitamins for example.

Keela Too

Sally Burch

JaimeS

Bicarbonate of soda to deal with the released lactic acid comes to mind.

This is been a life-saver for me in the past. Also, if you are okay with CoQ-10, dramatically ramping it up before the exercise (and for a bit after) actually prevents a full-blown crash for me, even if I still have PEM (i.e. worsening of symptoms afterwards) it's what I would term 'minimal'.

Due to stuff too frustrating to get into, I pulled an all-nighter a month or so back. I took my usual pills every four hours and treated symptoms that arose. Magically, I was not crashed for a month afterwards.

Note, folks: do not try this at home. I wouldn't have if I'd had any choice in the matter.

-J

Hugo

This is been a life-saver for me in the past. Also, if you are okay with CoQ-10, dramatically ramping it up before the exercise (and for a bit after) actually prevents a full-blown crash for me, even if I still have PEM (i.e. worsening of symptoms afterwards) it's what I would term 'minimal'.

Due to stuff too frustrating to get into, I pulled an all-nighter a month or so back. I took my usual pills every four hours and treated symptoms that arose. Magically, I was not crashed for a month afterwards.

Note, folks: do not try this at home. I wouldn't have if I'd had any choice in the matter.

-J

Thankyou thats good advice. I got no problem with q10 I already take 300mg a day so taking more would be easy to test when I over done myself. Bicarbonate and drinking a lot water would probably help a lot with the lactic acid. Dont know if it helps with the pain though but magnesium oil generally helps somewhat with that.

JaimeS

Good, @johmil -- I have 400-mg pills. I take two at a time before going through something tough, and then just take a 400-mg pill every four or five hours or so. So far I have never taken so much that I got negative effects from it. There are those who it makes anxious; however, if you take 300-mg at a time already without negative effects, you SHOULD be fine upping it in extremis.

Not medical advice, etc. :)

-J

Hugo

I heard
Good, @johmil -- I have 400-mg pills. I take two at a time before going through something tough, and then just take a 400-mg pill every four or five hours or so. So far I have never taken so much that I got negative effects from it. There are those who it makes anxious; however, if you take 300-mg at a time already without negative effects, you SHOULD be fine upping it in extremis.

Not medical advice, etc. :)

-J

Wow 400 mg pills where did you get them?

Hugo

Ive heard that D-ribose could help aswell. But D-ribose seems to produce candida symptoms for me. Maybe its something like xylithol that gave me candida symptoms aswell in the begining but not anymore.

JaimeS

D-ribose (and all other therapeutic sugars) make me worse, for sure.

Solgar makes a 400-mg and a 600-mg pill. It's very high-quality as well. If I switch brands, I notice.

Hugo

D-ribose (and all other therapeutic sugars) make me worse, for sure.

Solgar makes a 400-mg and a 600-mg pill. It's very high-quality as well. If I switch brands, I notice.

Yes they do, but I notice that it started to tolerate xylithol after a while. Dont know why cause it was really bad the first times. Dont know if im interested to start to try to toleratte D-ribose though. The reaction on that was nasty.

I will try Solgar if I feel that my brands not working,

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Before I had ME I used to take bicarb for a number of reasons:

Heart-burn
Morning sickness
Migraine.

My standard dose was a small teaspoon of bicarb in a glass of water.

I still use that. Tastes fairly eugh, but can help so much.
Some people add it to bath water to make a nice soak - as it's absorbed through the skin..
I've also rubbed bicarb onto damp skin - as I can't take baths due to migraine. (I make a sort of paste with a mixture of bicarb in melted coconut oil and walnut oil... ) Works for me.

Thing is afterwards to keep well hydrated so the extra salt formed can be flushed out of the body... makes you thirsty anyway. :p

Jennifer J

@Bansaw, @Keela Too and @JaimeS, thank you! :)

I take a bottle or a glass of water and put several pinches into it. When it's really bad, I've taken a pinch or two and let it dissolve directly under my tongue.

True -- also, don't go overboard, or your body will be like, "time to make more acid!" Or so I've heard.

I don't know much (yet) about lactic acid.

I wanted to try this to avoid crashing more than I already am. Also, heard it was good to help with MCS reactions.

How often do you take it and when?

Thank you.

JaimeS

How often do you take it and when?

Thank you.

I only do this when I'm not doing well: feeling crashed and exhausted. The first time I did it with a severe crash, it was like magic. I wasn't well, but I could sit up in bed again but what I actually did was fall into real sleep instead of that awfulness that masquerades as sleep when I'm crashed. When I've taken it in a moderate or mild crash, I can sit up again and do simple tasks on my computer. The CoQ-10 makes it feel almost as though I never crashed at all; it's remarkable.