• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for good PEM article

Andrew

I need some help. I'm updating my reading list for doctors. I'm looking for a good article about post exertion malaise. It would be good if the article included some citations.

leelaplay

PEM from ME/CFS Canadian COnsensus Overview

What a great idea Andrew - a reading list for doctors. I'd love to see what you have on it. I never got beyond the Canadian Consensus Overview. Speaking of which, this is what it has:

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:
A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners
An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document

http://www.mefmaction.net/documents/ME_Overview.pdf

pg iv Importance of a Clinical Definition
The Greek origin of syndrome is syn together, and -drome - a track for running. One must determine the tracks of travel and observe the travel of a patients syndrome components. Because research definitions define a static collection of symptom entities, they have ignored or downplayed the critical dynamic features of this syndrome, as lived by patients. The normal fatigue/pain pattern directly related to felt causal action and adjusted by activity/rest rhythms is broken in ME/CFS. As a result there are cumulative physical and cognitive fatigue/pain and crashing patterns, which are criterial in this Clinical Definition. The objective postural cardiac output abnormalities correlate with the degree of reactive fatigue and overall severity of ME/CFS. These findings could supply an objective marker for fatigue severity and duration, and help explain why ME/CFS can be so disabling. It is important for the clinician to observe the dynamics of the whole cluster of symptoms in their interaction, additive effects, and the disruption to patients lives over longer periods of time.

Pg 2 Post-Exertional Malaise and/or Fatigue: There is an inappropriate loss of physical and
mental stamina, rapid muscular and cognitive fatigability, post exertional malaise and/or fatigue
and/or pain and a tendency for other associated symptoms within the patients cluster of
symptoms to worsen. There is a pathologically slow recovery period - usually 24 hours or longer.

Pg. 3 & 4 1. Fatigue
Fatigue is an inappropriate label because the fatigue experienced in ME/CFS is not normal
fatigue whereby energy is promptly restored with rest. The pathological fatigue
experienced in ME/CFS may combine exhaustion, weakness, heaviness, general
malaise, lightheadedness, and sleepiness that can be overwhelmingly debilitating.

By definition, the patients activity level is reduced by approximately 50% or more.
Some patients
are housebound or bedridden and dependent on others for their daily care. ME/CFS is
actually more debilitating than most other medical problems in the world9 including
patients undergoing chemotherapy and HIV patients (until about two weeks before death)

Cognitive fatiguing may be evident when the patients responses become slower, less
coherent, and s/he experiences more difficulty in word and information retrieval. The
pathological components of fatigue should be identified in order to provide appropriate
treatment. Orthostatic intolerance, the inability to tolerate sustained upright activity, may be
associated with the overwhelming exhaustion, weakness, and urgency to lie down experienced
in ME/CFS. Often there is arousal fatigue due to poor sleep quality and sometimes quantity.
Oxygenation fatigue is caused by insufficient oxygen being delivered to the brain and tissues.
In metabolic fatigue, the cells are unable to transform substrates of energy into useful
functions. Muscle fatigue is common. Patients who also meet the criteria of FMS usually
experience structural fatigue.

2. Post-Exertional Malaise and/or Fatigue
Physical or mental exertion often causes debilitating malaise and/or fatigue, generalized
pain, deterioration of cognitive functions, and worsening of other symptoms that may occur
immediately after activity or be delayed.
Patients experience rapid muscle fatigue and
lack endurance. These symptoms are suggestive of a pathophysiology which involves
immune system activation, channelopathy with oxidative stress and nitric oxide related
toxicity10, and/or orthostatic intolerance. Recovery time is inordinately long, usually a
day or longer, and exercise may trigger a relapse.
The following chart indicates some of
the documented dysfunctional reactions to exercise that patients may exhibit11:

PEM..jpg
(sorry - don't know how to make thumbnail bigger - you may have to follow the doc link and then go to page 4)

fingers2022

But where will it get us?

Those extracts are great, IF. Even though I don't have severe ME, I can identify with all of that.

I can understand the value of this in the early stages - that's when I visited doctors. With hindsight, it was simply an elimination exercise - every test under the (UK) sun, i.e. LIMITED !...all negative. So then I could finally crawl away and suffer in silence.

I 'm not sure whether I was lucky or not, and would be interested in others views. I saw Dr.Glover in Bristol (think he has been a leading light in HIV?). He would never tell me that I had ME, always that he'd found Toxoplasmosis, and that it would sort itself out soon (20 years later.....).

he always encouraged me to carry on as normally as possible. To continue exercising, continue working, even continue enjoying the occasional pint! As it happens, although it's been hard, this has not put me in a wheelchair, and I carried on working full time until fairly recently. Having said that, I never recovered, and can't see how I ever will unless a magic bullet is discovered.

So, if GP's have this information, what will change, and will it be the best advice? I don't know.

Views anyone?

(Sorry if I have completely missed the point of the original post :innocent1: )

F

Andrew

What a great idea Andrew - a reading list for doctors. I'd love to see what you have on it. I never got beyond the Canadian Consensus Overview.
I have the Canadian documents on my reading list. I want to add a PEM article because I think PEM is one of the two most difficult concepts for doctors to understand. So I want to underscore this by having a good standalone article. BTW, the other difficult subject for doctors is OI. But I already have an extra article for this.

So, if GP's have this information, what will change, and will it be the best advice? I don't know.
The first list I drew up came as a result of my fuming about how doctors refer us to Rheumatologists, and they never know anything. I sent the list to American College of Rheumatology. I figured they would ignore it, but at least I would have tried.

I started to look at my list again after I got a call from a friend who is in the hospital. Her doctor was treating her with disbelief when she mentioned orthostatic intolerance. He had never heard of it, and was not about to believe a patient. So I sent her the list I had, and started to see how I could improve it.

How much good will this do? I assume not very much. But at least I will have created this for when someone wants something he/she can give to a doctor. I think it will also be good for those doctors who are sincere about learning.

JT1024

Andrew,

Tomorrow, when I'm at work, I'll try to get some articles on PEM. I have great access at work (I work in a hospital) and I have access to a lot while at work. The only problem is many of the computers are "locked down" so you can't download certain types of files. They've had a lot of trouble with viruses and people downloading stuff so change what you can access frequently. It's frustrating since I have access to many medical journals but depending on the computer I'm at, I may or may not be able to download a .pdf file.

Totally frustrating!

I'll see what I can do! ~ JT

Andrew

Here's some good work done @ the University of Pacific with Dr. Bateman:
Looks like a good candidate.

It's frustrating since I have access to many medical journals but depending on the computer I'm at, I may or may not be able to download a .pdf file.
Thanks for looking. As for PDF files, I would not be able to use that anyway. I need to have something a doctor can see on the Web via a link.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
Heya Andrew:

I'm doing something similar, basically putting together a reader for my doctor (like I used to for my students) of what I think is the most relevant information for him to know for treating patients in a constrained clinical setting (both time and money). He's usually pretty responsive to information that patients bring in. Indeed at one point a few years back he actually told me to do research online, which made me laugh as he has no idea how much I read online. ;-)

I'm a patient at the county health department and my doctor is known throughout the county for being a "workhorse" as my/his nurse put it. I don't know how influential he is beyond his own patients, but I figure it's a start. And I already have my case worker at Aging and Disability Services eager to get a copy of my reader after he called me one day on whim hoping I might have more information on ME/CFS to help him with another client. Needless to say, I was happy to help. :-D

For post-exertional malaise, I too would recommend the Snell-Bateman article and Light-Bateman article as well as one by Lenny Jason's team and a recent one on exercise-induced oxidative stress (note that all of the above links are to the abstracts at PubMed but the ME Society has many of the full articles in PDF format at their website). In terms of exercise (as doctors need guidance about ME/CFS and exercise) I've focused on the work of the Pacific Fatigue Lab, Dr. Bateman's article in a recent IACFSME bulletin, and was going to include links at the end that he can recommend to patients such as the video presentation from the PFL group and the CFIDS Self-Help site. Oh and I'll be including some of Lenny Jason's research on the "Envelope Theory" too.

I think it would be a great idea for us to share what we're putting into our reader/reading list. And I know at the moment I'm looking for good research on anti-viral treatments.

Michelle

L

Lugdunum

I need some help. I'm updating my reading list for doctors. I'm looking for a good article about post exertion malaise. It would be good if the article included some citations.

Andrew,

Help is on its way. I'am a foreigner, so don't bother my English. I would like to recommend de Becker e.a., VanNess, and Paul. I made this list - below. I would not recommend the ones with a ( ).
Maybe you could at least use de Becker, Lane, Paul. L. etc etc. I could sent you quotes also.

the Alegre-Martin, J., Sanchez, S., Javierre, J., Quintaona, E. R., De Sevilla, T., De Merlier, K., Quintano A., Study of biological markers, ergometric parameters and cognitive funciton in a cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. The 8th International IACFS Professional Conference.Friday, Jan 12- Sunday, Jan 14, 2007- Fort Lauderdale
Arnold, D.L., Bore, P.J., Radda, G.K., Styles, P., Taylor, d.J., (1984) Excessive intracellular acidosis of skeletekal muscle on exercise in a patient with a post-viral exhaustion/fatigue syndrome. A 31P nueclear magnetic resonance study, Lancet, 1984, 6, 1(8391):1367-1369
Ayers, A. (2008) CFS/ME and exercise. Exercise Bad for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis? Verkregen via: http//chronic-fatigue syndrome.suite101.com/article.cfm/cfsme_and_exercise
(Bachetti, R. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, exercise, cortisol and lymphadenopathy, J. Intern Medicine 2005, 258, 291-292)
Barnes P R Barnes, D J Taylor, G J Kemp, G K Radda (1993) P.R. e.a Skeletal muscle bioenergetics in the chronic fatigue syndrome.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry.56:679-683;
(Bazelmans E., Bleijenberg G., Voeten, M., van der Meer, J.W.M., Folgering, H. (2005) Impact of a maximal exercise test on symptoms and activity in chronic fatigue syndrome, Journal of Pscychosomatic Research 59 201-208)
Behan WM. Is chronic fatigue syndrome a muscle disease? Muscle Exercise Intolerance & Contractures, edited by G Serratrice. Pergamon Press, New York, 1999
Behan WM, Holt I, Kay DH, Moonie P. (1999) Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome In vitro study of muscle aerobic metabolism in chronic fatigue syndrome.5:32-37
Black, C. D., McCully, K., & Darbishire, L. (2005). Time course of exercise induced alterations in daily activity in chronic fatigue syndrome. Dynamic Medicine, 4, 10.
Black, C. D., O'Connor, P. J., & McCully, K. K. (2005). Increased daily physical activity and fatigue symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome. Dynamic Medicine, 4(1), 3.
Boda W.L., Natelson, B.H., Sisto, S.A.. Tap, W.N.,(1995). Gait abnormalities in chronic fatigue syndrome. J.Neulol. Sci. 8,131(2), 156-161
Ciccolella, M., Stevens, R.m Snell, C.R., VanNess, J.M. (2008) Legal and Scientific Considerations of the Exercise Stress Teste. Journal of Chronic fatigue Syndrome 14, #2 7-23
Clapp L. et all. Acute effects of thirty minutes of light-intensity, intermittent exercise on patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Phys Therapy. 1999;79 (8): 749-756
Cook, D. B., Nagelkirk, P. R., Poluri, A., Mores, J., & Natelson, B. H. (2006). The influence of aerobic fitness and fibromyalgia on cardiorespiratory and perceptual responses to exercise in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 54(10), 3351-3362.
Cook, D.B.,Nagelkirk, P.R., Peckerman, A., Poluri, A., Poluri, A., Mores, J., Natelson, B.,(2005) Exercise and Cognitive Performance in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Medicine Science and Sport 37(9):1460-1467
De Becker, P., Roeykens, J., Reynders, M., McGregor, N., & De Merleir, K. (2000). Exercise capacity in chronic fatigue syndrome. Archives of Internal Medicine, 160, 3270-3277.
De Bolle, K., Retrospectieve analyse van de inspanningscapaciteit bij het chronisch vermoeidheidssyndroom: de rol van mycoplasma infecties. (2003) Vlaams tijdschrift voor sportgeneeskunde en sportwetenschappen, 93, 43-45
De Lorenzo, F., Xiao H., Murkherjee M et al, (1998) Chronic fatigue syndrome: physical and cardiovasculair deconditioning QJM, 91,475-481
Farquhar, W.B. et al. Blood volume and its relation to peak 02 consumption and physical activity in patients with chronic fatigue, (2002), Am J. Physiol Heart Circu. Physiol. (2002) 282 (1) H66-H71
Dowsett, E.G. Time to put the exercise cure to rest? Verkregen via: www.25megroup.org
Dowsett, E.G. (2000) Mobility problems in ME, Verkregen via: www.25megroup.org
Fischler B, Dendale P, Michiels V, Cluydts R, Kaufman L, De Meirleir K. Physical fatigability and exercise capacity in chronic fatigue syndrome: association with disability, somatization and psychopathology. J Psychosom Res. 1997 Apr;42(4):369-78
Fulle S., Pietrangelo, T., Mancinelli, R., Saggini R., Fano, G., (2008) Specific correlations between muscle oxidative stress and chronic fatigue syndrome : a working hypothesis, J. Muscle Res Cell, Motil. 1.
Friedberg, F. Does graded activity increase activity? A case study of chronic fatigue syndrome, Journal of behaviour Therapy and Experimental Pscychiatry 33, 203-215
Gallagher, A. M., Coldrick, A. R., B., H., W.R, W., & White, P. D. (2005). Is the chronic fatigue syndrome an exercise phobia? A case control study. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 58(4), 367-373.
Garcia Quintan AM, Roca I, Garcia-Burllo A, Allegre-Martin J, Mea I, De Merleir K, De Becker P. (2007?) Brain Spet Quantification in Chronic Fatigue Syndrom IACFS/ME conference. Verkregen via: http://www.wicfsme.org/Pdf Files/2007 IACFS conference abstracts.pdf
Gibson, H. Carroll, N., Calgue J.E. Edwards, R.H.T. (1993) Exercise performance and fatiguability in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 56, 993-998
Goodwin, G.M. & Lawrie, S.M. (1998) Effects of exercise on cognitive and motor furnction in chronic fatigue syndrome and depression. Journal of Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 65, 541-546
Gustar, D. Wozney A., Wagner, M., Beerman, S.B., Neary, J.P. (1997). Leukocyte Alteration Following Acute Exerce in Chronic Fatigue Scyndrome, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 29(5) supplement May 1997, p.209
Hollingsworth, K.G., Newton, J.L., Taylor, R., McDonald, C., Palmer, J.M., Blamire, A.M., Jones, D.E.J. Pilot study of peripheral muscle function in primary biliary cirrhosis: potential implications for fatigue pathogenesis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Sep;6(9):1041-8. Epub 2008 Aug 8.
Inbar, O., Dlin R., Rotstein, R., Whipp, B.J. (2001). Physiological responses to incremental exercise in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33(9) 1463-1470
Jammes, Y., Steinberg, J. G., Mambrini, O., Brgeon, F., & Delliaux, S. (2005). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: assesment of increased oxidative stress and altered muscle excitability in response to incremental exercise. Journal of Internal Medicine, 257, 299-310.
Jamal, G.A., Hansen S. (1985) Electrophysiological studies in the post-viral fatigue syndrome JNNP, 48:691-694
Javierra, C., et all.(2007) Physiological Responses to Arm and Leg Exercise in Women Patients with Chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 8, 14(1)
David EJ Jones, Kieren G Hollingsworth, Roy Taylor, Andrew M Blamire, Julia L Newton. Abnormalities in pH Handling by Peripheral Muscle and Potential Regulation by the Autonomic Nervous System in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Journal of Internal Medicine, Published Online: 20 Aug 2009.
Jones, N.L., Heigenhauser, G.J. (2002) VO2max and lactate production are not normal in al patients with chronic fatigue, Comment on Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002 34(1):51-6
Jones, D, Hollingsworth K,.G.,Taylor, R., Blamire, A., Newton.J. Abnormalities in pH Handling by Peripheral Muscle and Potential Regulation by the Autonomic Nervous System in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,Journal of Internal Medicine, Published Online: 20 Aug 2009
Kent-Braun, J.A., Sharma, K.R., Weiner, M.W., Massie, B., Miller, R.G. (1993) Central basis of muscle fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome, Neurology 43:125
LaManca, J.J., Sisto, S.A., Zhou X et all () Immunological response in chronic fatigue syndrome following a graded exercise test to exhaustion. J. Clin. Immunol. 19, 135-142
LaManca, J.J., Peckerman, A., Sisto, S.A., DeLuca, J., Cook, S., Natelson, H., (2001) Cardiovasculair Responses of Woman With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to Stressful Cognitive Testing, Before and after Strenous Exercise, Psychosomatic Medicine 63: 756-764
LaManca, J., Sisto, S., DeLuca, J., Johnson S, Lange G., Pareja J., Cook, S., Natelson, B. Influence on exhaustive treadmill exercise on cognitive function in chronic fatigue syndrome. Am. J. Med. 9, 28;105 (3A): 59S-65S
Lambrechts, L. (2008) CVS: Cardiopulmonaire tests/continue lichaamsmonitoring, Symposium Chronic Fatigue Syndromes, 17 mei 2008 te Jettte, Belgium
Lane J.M., Burges, P. Flint, J., Riccio, M., Archard, L.C. (1995) Exercise response and psychiatric disorder in chronic fatigue syndrome, BMJ, 311, 544-555
Lane, R. J. M., Barret, M. C., Woodrow, D., Moss, J., Fletcher, R., & Archard, L. C. (1998). Muscle fibre characteristics and lactate responses to exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 64(3), 362-367.
Lane RJ, Barrett M, Taylor D, Kemp G, Lode R. (1998) Heterogeneity in chronic fatigue syndrome: evidence from magnetic resonance spectroscopy of muscle. Neuromuscular Disorders 1998;8:204-9.
Lapp, C. W. (1997). Exercise limits in chronic fatigue syndrome. American Journal of Medicine, 103, 83-84.
Lewis, S.F., & Haller R.G., Physiologic measurement of exercise and fatigue with special influence on chronic fatigue syndrome, Reviews of Infectious Disease, 13 Suppl 1, S98-108
Light A., Adregenic and Sensory Receptor Expression on Leukocytes Increases after Moderate Exercise in Chronic fatigue and Fybromyalgia, Ren 2009, IACFS conference.
Light K., New Research and Biomarkers for FMS/CFS, Offer patient conference september 13, (2008).
Lloyd A.R., Phales, J., S.Gandevia. Muscle strength, endurance and recovery in the pos-infection fatigue syndrome. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and psychiatry (1988) 51, 1316-1322
Maegrith, D. (2004) Pros and cons of exercise in fighting CFS, The weekend Australian. Juli 3-4
Marton, KI. (1997) Exercise for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Journal Watch Pscychiatry, 9
McCluskey, D.R., Riley, M., (1992) Exercise testing in Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, The Clinical and Scientific Basis of ME/CFS. Hyde, B.M.,364-371
McCully K et all.(1999) Impaired oxygen delivery to muscle in chronic fatigue syndrome. Clinical Science 97(5) 603-608
Mena, I.(1990). Study of Cerebral Perfusion by NeuroSPECtT in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, presented at the Cambridge Symposium on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Cambridge University, England April 12.
Montague, T.J., Klassen, M.T.J., Bewck, D.J., Horacek, B.M., (1989) Cardiac function at rest and with exercise in the chronic fatigue syndrome, Chest, 95, p859-865
Natelson, B.H. (1996), Metabolic and cardiovascular effects of a progressive exercise test in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, American Journal of Medicine, 100 634-640
Neary, P., Roberts, D.W.,Leavins, N., Harrison, M.F., Croll, C., Sexsmith, J.R. (2008). Prefrontal cortex oxygenation during incremental exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. Clinicla Physiol. Funct, Imaging.
Neary, J.P.,Roberts, A.W.W.., Leavins, N.H., Harrison, M.F.Croll, J.C., Sexmith, J.R., Hennel, R. FACSM. (2006). Muscle heamodynamic and oxygen saturation during exercise in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 8 (5) Supplement, May 20006, p S359.
Newton, J., Hollingsworth, K. G., Palmer,J., McDonald,C., Taylor, R., Blamire, A., Jones,D. (2009) Mitochondrial dysfunction and muscle ph abnormality post-exercise: A two-hit mechanism for fatigue pathogenesis in primairy biliary cirrhosis, Journal of Hepatology, Volume 48, Issue null, Pages S325-S325
Nijs, J., Meeus, M., & Van Eupen, I. (2007). Chronische vermoeidheidssyndroom en fibromyalgie. Recente ontwikkelingen en fysiotherapeutische implicaties. Stimulus, 26, 100-113.
Nijs, J., Van de Putte, K., Louckx, F., & De Meirleir, K. (2005). Employment status in chronic fatigue syndrome. A cross-sectional study examining the value of exercise testing and self-reported measures for the assessment of employment status. Clinical Rehabilitation, 19(?, 895-899.
Nijs, J., Vanherberghen, K., Duquet, W., De Merleir, K. (2004) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Lack of association between pain related fear of movement an exercise capacity and disability, Phys. Ther. 84, 696-705
Nijs, J., Meeus, M., McGregor, N.R., Meeusen, R., De Schutter, G., Van Hoof, E., De Merleir, K. (2005) Chronic fatigue syndrome: exercise related to immune dysfunction. Medicine Science Sports Exerc. 37 1647-1654
Ohashi, K., Yamamoto Y., Natelson, B. (2002) Activity rhythm degrades after strenuous exercise in chronic fatigue. Physiol Behav 2002 Sep;77(1):39
(Ohashi, K., Bleyenberg, G., van der Werf, S., Prins, J., Amaral, L.A., Natelson, B.H., Yamamoto, Y. (2004) Decreased fractal correlation in diurnal physical activity in chronic fatigue syndrome. Methods Inf Med. 43 (1): 26-9)
Paul, L., Wood, L., Behan, W. M. H., & Maclaren, W. M. (1999). Demonstration of delayed recovery from fatiguing exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. European Journal of Neurology, 6, 63-69.
Paul, L., Rafferty, D., Marshal, R., (2009).Physiological cost of walking in those with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS): A case-control study.Online Publication Date: 01 January 2009
Peterson, P.K., Sirr, S. A., Grammith, F.C., Schenck, C., Pheley, A.M., Hu, s., Chao, C.C. (1994) Effects of Mild exercise on Cytokines and Cerebral Blood Flow in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients
Clinical and Diagnostic Labaratory Immunology, 3, 222-226
Pierce, S., & Pierce, P.W., The Physiology of Exercise Intolerance in Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and the Utility of Graded Exercise Therapy, Journal of Iime, 2, 2 pp.55-60
Riley, M.S., O’Brien, C.J., McCluskey D.R., Bell, N.P., Nicholls, D.P. (1990) Aerobic work capacity in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, British Medical Journal, 301: 953-956
Robinson, M., Gray S.R., Watson M.S., Kennedy, G., Hill, A., Belch, J.J.F., Nimmo, M.A. Plasma IL-6, its soluble receptors and F2-isoprostanes at rest and during exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. (in press)Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.
Rowbottom, D., Keast, D., Pervan, Z. and Morton, A.R. (1998)The physiological response to exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome, Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 4:2, pp 33-49
Schillings M.L., Kalkman J.S., van der Werf S.P. Van Engelen B.G, Bleijenberg g., Zwarts M.J., (2004) Diminished central activiation during maximal voluntary contraction in chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin. Neurophysiol. 115; 2518-2524
Schillings M.L., Kalkman J.S., van der Werf S.P. Van Engelen B.G, Bleijenberg g., Zwarts M.J., (2004) Diminished Clin. Neurophysiol. 115; 2518-2524 central activiation during maximal voluntary contraction in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Shmaling, K.B., Fiedelak, J.I, Fiedelak, Bader, J., Buchwald, D. A longitunal study of physical activity and body mass index among persons with unexplained chronic fatigue, (2005) Journal of Psychosomatic Research 58, 375-381
Scroop, G.C., Burnett, Letter tot the editor. To exercise or not to exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome, MJA, 2004; 181(10): 578-580
Shepherd, R.J., (2002) Cytokine Response to physical activity, with particular reference to IL-6 sources, actions and clinical implications. Crit. Rev. Immunol. 22, 165-182
Sheperd, C. (2001). Pacing and exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. Physiotherapy, 87 (8), 395-396
Siemionow, V., Fang Y., Calabrese L., Sahgal, V. Yue, G., (2004) Altered Central nervous system signal during motor performance in chronic fatigue syndrome. Clinical Neurophysiol. 115 (10) 2372-2381
Sietsema K.E, Exercise responses in Systemic Conditions Weisman IM, Zeballos RJ (eds): Clinical Exercise Testing.Prog Respir Res. Basel, Karger, 2002, vol 32, pp 264-272
Sisto, S. A., Tapp, W. N., LaManca, J. J., Ling, W., Korn, L. R., Nelson, A. J., et al. (1998). Physical activity before ande after exercise in woman with chronic fatigue syndrome. Quarterly Journal of Medicine, 91(7), 465-473.
Sisto S.A., LAMacnca, J., Cordero, D.L., Bergen, M.T, Ellis, S.P., Drastal, M.S., Boda, W.L., Tapp, W.N., Natelson, B.H., Metabolic an Cardiovasculair Effects of a Progressive Exercise Test in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Sorensen B. Streib, J.E., Strand, M.E., Make, B., Giclas, P.C., Fleshner, M, Jones J.F. (2003) Complement activation in a model of chronic fatigue syndrome J Allergy Clin Immunol. 112 (2):397-403
Sorensen, B., Jones, J.F., Vernon, S., Rajeevan, M.S., Trancriptional Control of Complement Activation in an Exercise model of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (2008). Mol Med. 2008 11(16)
Starr, A., Scalise, A., Gordon, R., Michaelewski, H.J., Caramia, M.D. (2000) Motor cortex exicatibility in chronic fatigue syndrome, Clinical Neuropsychology 111 2025-2031
Stiles, T. L., Snell, C. R., Stevens, S. R., Moran, M., & VanNess, M. (2007). Post-exertional Symptomology In Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 39,((5)), S445.
Stein, E., Hunter, C. (2004) Letter to the editor, To exercise or not to exercise, MJA; 181 (10),: 578-580
Suarez A. Javierre C., Garcia Quintana A, Alegre J, Ventura JL, Barbany JR Segura R, Differences in the Recovery Period Between a Group of CFS Women and Matched Control Group After as Supramaximal Effort verkregen via: http://www.wicfsme.org/Pdf Files/2007 IACFS conference abstracts.pdf
Thambirajah, A.A., Sleigh, K., Grant Stiver H., Chow, A.W. (2008) Differential heat shock protein responses to strenuous standardized exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome patients and matched healthy controls ,Clinical & Investigative Medicine, 31, (6)
Thambyah, T.T., Light, A.R., The relevance of ASIC3, TRPV1, and P2X receptors in fybromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndromes. Poster NCUR, april 10-12, 2008
Van Houdenhove (2007), Rehabilitation of decreased motor performance in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: should we treat low effort capacity or reduced effort tolerance, Clinical Rehabilitation 21: 1121-1142
Van Ness, J. M., Snell, C. R., Stevens, C. R., Staci, R., & Stiles, T. L. (2007). Metabolic And Neurocognitive Responses. To An Exercise Challenge In Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 39(5), S445.
Van Ness, J. M., Snell, C. R., Stevens, S., Bateman, L., & Keller, B. A. (2006). Using Serial Cardiopulmonary Exercise Tests to Support a Diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 38(5), S85.
VanNess, J. M., Snell, C.R., Stevens S.R., (2007) Diminished Cardiopulmonary Capacity During Post-Extertional Mailaise. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 14(2) 77-85
VanNess, J.M., Snell, C.R., Strayer, D.R., IV, L.D., Stevens, S.R. (2002) Subclassifying Chronic Fatigue Syndrome through Exercise Testing. Medicine Science in Sports &Exercise 12, 908-913
VanNess, J.M., A Diagnostic Test for the Identification of Metabolic Dysfunction, Reno 2009 IACFS conference.
VanNess, J. M, Snell, C.R.,Stevens, S.R., Bateman, L., Keller, B.A.(2006) Using Serial Cariopulmanory Exercise Test To support a Diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Medicinec& Science in Sports & Exercise, 38 (5) Supplement, May 2006, p.S85
Vanness JM, Stevens SR, Bateman L, Stiles TL, Snell CR.(2010)'Postexertional Malaise in Women with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'J Womens Health (Larchmt).Jan 24
Vermeulen R.C.W.,Kurk R.M.,Scholte R.D., (poster)A Standardized Test for Postexertional Malaise in CFS The 8th International IACFS Professional Conference.Friday, Jan 12- Sunday, Jan 14, 2007- Fort Lauderdale
Verheyllewegen, F., De Merleir, K., Nijs, J. (2003) Correlatie-analyse tussen de Chlamydia pneumonia-titer en de inspanningscapaciteit bij Chronisch Vermoeidheidssyndroom-patienten, Vlaams Tijdschrift voor Sportgeneeskunde & Sportwetenschappen, 93, 53-56
Wallman, K., & Sacco, P. (2007). Sense of effort during a fatiguing exercise protocol in chronic fatigue syndrome. Research in Sports Medicine, 15(1), 47-59.
Whistler, T., Jones, J. F., Unger, E. R., & Vernon, S. D. (2005). Exercise response genes measured in peripheral blood of woman with chronic fatigue syndrome and matched control subjects. BMC Physiology, 5(5).
White, P. D., Nye, K. E., Pinchin g, A. J., Yap, T. M., Power, N., Vleck, V., et al. (2004). Immunological changes after both exercise and activity in chronic fatigue syndrom: a pilot study. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 12(2), 51-56.
Watson, W.S.m McMillan, D.C., Abhijit Chaudhuri, D.M. Behan, P.O., Increased Resting Energy Expenditure in the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 1998 4 (4)
Wong, R. et al. Skeletal Muscle Metabolism in the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, In Vivo Assesment by P Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, 1992 Chest 102 1716-1722
Yoshicuchi1: Physiol Behav. 2007 Dec 5;92(5):963-8. Epub 2007 Jul 25. Links
Yoshiuchi K, Cook DB, Ohashi K, Kumano H, Kuboki T, Yamamoto Y, Natelson BH (2007).A real-time assessment of the effect of exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome, Physiol. Beh. 5;92(5):963-8
Yoshiuchi K., Farkas J, Natelson H., Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome have reduced absolute cortical blood flow, Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging (2006). 26, 2, 83-86

At your service!

Andrew

Heya Andrew:
For post-exertional malaise, I too would recommend...
Michelle

Thanks, these look very helpful.

Andrew,

Help is on its way. I'am a foreigner, so don't bother my English. I would like to recommend de Becker e.a., VanNess, and Paul. I made this list - below. I would not recommend the ones with a ( ).
Maybe you could at least use de Becker, Lane, Paul. L. etc etc.
[...]
At your service!
That is an amazing list you posted. It's the most comprehensive list I've seen. I wish we had one for every topic. It's great.

I'll look at the de Becker article along with others.

Dank U wel!

leelaplay

I'm doing something similar, basically putting together a reader for my doctor (like I used to for my students) of what I think is the most relevant information for him to know for treating patients in a constrained clinical setting (both time and money).

I think it would be a great idea for us to share what we're putting into our reader/reading list. And I know at the moment I'm looking for good research on anti-viral treatments.

Hiya Michelle - good to see you, um, read you I guess that is.

Thanks, these look very helpful.

That is an amazing list you posted. It's the most comprehensive list I've seen. I wish we had one for every topic. It's great.

Wow Lugdunum - what an amazing first post! Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you Andrew and Michelle. It would be great to share what we have for reading lists for doctors on each topic, and have one for every topic. Maybe we could start threads, titled something like Doctor's Reading List: PEM no discussion and compile the good articles we have.

Hmm, in thinking about it, realize we want one page that everyone can print out to bring to their doctor. I guess then we'd need a preliminary thread like this, Submit PEM articles for Doctor's Reading List, and then someone who will collate them all on one locked thread, Doctor's Reading List: PEM

I don't know. What does everyone think? Do you think that will work? Do you think it would be worth doing? (it seems wonderful to she who wants to database the world, but am I going too far?)

If people think it would be valuable, I'll volunteer to do it for PEM. Am writing a note to myself to tackle it when I feel a bit better. If anyone wants it faster, or has already done it, I will cede my spot in the volunteer line - just let me know.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Hmm, in thinking about it, realize we want one page that everyone can print out to bring to their doctor. I guess then we'd need a preliminary thread like this, Submit PEM articles for Doctor's Reading List, and then someone who will collate them all on one locked thread, Doctor's Reading List: PEM

I don't know. What does everyone think? Do you think that will work? Do you think it would be worth doing? (it seems wonderful to she who wants to database the world, but am I going too far?)

If people think it would be valuable, I'll volunteer to do it for PEM. Am writing a note to myself to tackle it when I feel a bit better. If anyone wants it faster, or has already done it, I will cede my spot in the volunteer line - just let me know.

IF - Fantastic idea! I'm afraid it's unlikely that I beat you to this. As it is you've found an amazing amount of fresh information just this month! I can hardly keep up with the reading. :tongue: :Retro smile:

Given the criticality of PEM getting from a generic 'chronic fatigue' to a true 'CFS/ME' diagnosis it's important for doctors to see papers that document the medical basis of what we feel/report. If a doc 'gets it' you probably have an believer. So in that regard a PEM reading list may top the list. That is until we have proof of XMRV being causal, that is.

Otis

Hope123

I see this intermittently in various places but I don't think it gets point out enough. The term post-exertional malaise get bandied about without a clear definitions of what if means, making it confusing for healthcare staff to distinguish it from the fatigue that people with many other illnesses get from exertion. Some characteristics that should be brought up more are the sore throats, flu-like symptoms, enlarged lymph nodes, cognitive confusion people get aside from exhaustion. The former symptoms are NOT typically seen in other illnesses where people do get fatigued after exertion.

Andrew

What I'm thinking of doing is starting a new thread about resource lists for doctors. I would post my list, Michelle could post a list, and anyone else could post a list. People could also offer feedback on the lists. OTOH, what Lugdunum did was different, and probably more amazing. I didn't realize there were that may studies about PEM.

Sunday

Yes, the Lugdunum list was amazing, well done L. I'm sure your English is a lot better than my Netherlandish.

I'm in favor of the "Doctor articles" thread, Andrew, because I'd also like to ask you for refs to articles on OI, which starts to get this thread off topic.

Andrew

I'm in favor of the "Doctor articles" thread, Andrew, because I'd also like to ask you for refs to articles on OI, which starts to get this thread off topic.
Why don't you start a new thread that asks for OI articles. Also, I'll try to post my list soon.

leelaplay

What I'm thinking of doing is starting a new thread about resource lists for doctors. I would post my list, Michelle could post a list, and anyone else could post a list. People could also offer feedback on the lists. OTOH, what Lugdunum did was different, and probably more amazing. I didn't realize there were that may studies about PEM.

That sounds wonderful Andrew. Thank you!

Andrew

I don't know when I'll get to starting the other thread. If anyone else wants to start it, feel free. I just can't concentrate on it now. I have other health problems that are acting up, and it's occupying my mind.

At the same time I don't want to have people going without references. I just remembered a great site for references. Here are some links there.

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/ref.html
http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/subsets.html
http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Lerner.html

I probably should have checked this site before asking for articles, but now I'm sort of glad I didn't.