• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stool color

renski

Hello..

I am trying to figure out why my stools are a light brown color.. apologies in advance for the details. They come out formed but are really mushy once they are in the toilet. I have colonic dysbiosis (strep overgrowth) and probably H2S SIBO (assuming strep again) and Candida. So I have high oxalates and low B6 and a lot of other issues. 12 months ago my stools were normal and I had one bowel movement everyday.. no constipation.

Then I started treating the gut with natural antimicrobials/probiotics/etc.. thats when I started developing the constipation. Fast forward 9 months and all of my symptoms are 10x worse. I started some antibiotics for the strep and immediately my constipation was gone.. but my stools weren't a dark brown like they use to be. Any ideas what this might be? I'm going to see a GI doctor to rule out anything.. but I suspect Candida/SIBO is somehow connected to this. I'm assuming bile is somehow involved here. My liver also feels sore usually a few hours after I eat (I think it's the liver, my right side abdomen below the rib cage), and in the past few days since I've started using a probiotic it feels consistently sore.

Last edited:

Bansaw

I used to have light browns until I got my fats sorted out. I started to take coconut oil regularly and now I have dark browns.

I have read a bit on liver and liver diseases and I suspect that my illness is undiagnosed liver damage.Maybe you should discuss with your doctor the possibility of having a liver biopsy or some other test if it exists that is more reliable than blood tests.Here are some quotes from medical journals a)Ricketts W E Pathological liver with minimal or no change in liver tests Am J Med Sci 1951 Mar 22:(3):p 291''Liver tests within normal range are not synonymous with the abscence of liver pathology a point not sufficiently emphasized...Approximately one-tenth of the normal parenchyma is able to carry on adequate function'' b)Zamcheck N,Sidman R LThe new England Journal of Medicine Dec17 1953 Vol 249 No25 p 1022''In every hospital there are patients whose serious illness remains undiagnosed despite prolonged clinical and laboratory stydy.There may be no clinical findings to suggest liver disease.Yet liver biopsy performed even in the abscence of hepatomegaly,has proved useful in such cases" c)E Anthony Jones Fatigue associated with chronic liver disease:A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma Hepatology 1995 Nov 22(5)p 1606''There is a strong clinical impression that many patients with compensated chronic liver disease develop fatigue of a severity that seems to be out of proportion to the patients' general medical condition...fatigue can be the dominant,and maybe the only,symptom in patients with chronic cholestasis''.I hope that you and your doctors can take into consideration the information that I have provided and good luck in whatever decision you take.If you have any questions eg regarding my symptoms or you would like more information I will try to provide it if I have it.But since I am not a doctor your doctor knows better and can provide better advice.

It's the second time that emojis have been inserted to a text with scientific references that I have typed.I am beginning to suspect that I have my own personal relatively innocuous and somewhat likeable emoji hacker unless there is some other explanation for this.

renski

Have been using broad spectrum probiotics for a week and stool color is going back to more normal color and is more formed.. so I guess it's bacteria related.. which would line up with my other symptoms and test results.

Have been using broad spectrum probiotics for a week and stool color is going back to more normal color and is more formed.. so I guess it's bacteria related.. which would line up with my other symptoms and test results.
A short while ago there was a news story on MSN about research done by Ludovic Giloteaux Reduced diversity and altered composition of the gut microbiome in individuals with ME/CFS Microbiome 2016 4:30.I don't know how to provide links or insert articles in text.Since you probably have had similar testing done you or your doctors can compare the results although that will not provide any relief from symptoms,Still it's good to know that someone took an interest in doing research and his findings were treated as a news item.