• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nebulizing magnesium and other stuff.

xchocoholic

Thanks. This looks interesting to me since I'm super sensitive to meds and supplements. I'm ingesting most just by letting them dissolve in my mouth now vs swallowing these.

Do you recommend any particular nebulizer ? X

Ema

I did this for a while.

The magnesium stung a little at first but this could be addressed with a more dilute solution. It went away though and I stopped noticing it.

My biggest gripe was the noise of the machine and the time. If you seriously plan to stick with this, I would consider shelling out for the ultrasonic model that is quiet and fast. The sound of the motor for 30 minutes was awful for me.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema
Thanks, very useful advice, haven't decided yet on anything just looking around at stuff.

Dr Myhill's website has a page on this too. It seems to have changed though, because I remember it talking about needing to use analytical grade magnesium. Something about the lungs being extra sensitive to impurities.

Edit: I had a look on Archive.org and couldn't find any mention of analytical grade magnesium. Must have got confused with some other site.

I didn't try it in the end, mainly as my house is kinda damp and mouldy so I worried about keeping the equipment clean.

I opted for another, slightly less glamorous option. That didn't work out either unfortunately, but the equipment was quite cheap.

Edit: Worth noting I found this alternate route to be rather inconvenient. Certainly nebulising would be much more convenient, provided quiet motor etc.

Last edited:

ahmo

@maryb Thanks so much for posting this. I'm considering nebulizer for inhaling B12. there's a thread elsewhere discussing using a vaporizer (E-cigarette type) for B12. I started looking at nebulizers. The common ultrasonic one I found on ebay for approx $30 got very mixed ratings on Amazon, including breaking after 6 months, but some people loved it. From there, all the equipment seemed to be quite expensive. I'd go for it, if I knew it was going to function properly. @Ema have you done much research? What machine did you use?

@Unim I use this method for lot's of things.

Gingergrrl

I bought the nebulizer and USP pharmaceutical grade magnesium sulphate but have not started yet b/c I have had one serious medical problem after another. I am wanting to try the magnesium to control shortness of breath and "angina" type episodes. Dr. Sarah Myhill has good information explaining how she uses this method on her website.

I learned about it from @zzz as well and he was greatly helped by it (for symptoms similar to mine.) My cardio felt IV magnesium was better but the dose he had me try was way too high for me and my entire saline experience was a disaster where I ended up in the ER. I think the nebulizer will be a much better method for me once I eventually start it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I think the nebulizer will be a much better method for me once I eventually start it.

I don't know the PH for what you will be nebulizing but when I was nebulizing glutathione, it was very important (for safety reasons) that it be buffered. Might be good to investigate this aspect.

Sushi

Gingergrrl

@Sushi what do you mean by buffered? Is this another product that you add to the Mag? Also I am now trying to clarify from the link that Maryb provided if Mag Citrate is better for nebulizer than sulphate (what Dr. Myhill recommended?)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Sushi what do you mean by buffered? Is this another product that you add to the Mag? Also I am now trying to clarify from the link that Maryb provided if Mag Citrate is better for nebulizer than sulphate (what Dr. Myhill recommended?)

Buffer means to reduce the acidity if it is too great for the intended purpose. Substances that you nebulize need to be a suitable PH for the lungs. If they are not, it could cause spasms. Hence, the glutathione that I nebulized was buffered with sodium bicarbonate. So I'd just do some research to see if the PH of the magnesium you plan to use is a suitable level for the lungs.

Sushi

zzz

Also I am now trying to clarify from the link that Maryb provided if Mag Citrate is better for nebulizer than sulphate (what Dr. Myhill recommended?)

The link that @maryb posted is to an article by Dr. Sircus, who has a someone dubious reputation. The Web of Trust gives his site an "Unsatisfactory" rating in the category "Misleading claims or unethical". From what I see, he does tend to make a lot of claims that are not backed up by scientific evidence. While the article on "Nebulizing Magnesium and other Medicinals" is mostly correct, he does make the following statement in it about forms of magnesium other than magnesium chloride, which is what concerns @Gingergrrl. (Magnesium citrate is not used with a nebulizer.)
Even the pharmaceutical and higher grades have heavy metal contamination so are not suitable.

There is absolutely no documentation or evidence given for this quote. The USP Epsom Salt that I recommended to @Gingergrrl and that I have been using daily myself for over seven months is described as being "Premium USP Grade Epsom Salt". The maximum heavy metal content is listed as being 0.001%, or 10 parts per million (10 ppm). No compound is completely pure of heavy metals (including magnesium chloride); if you look on the USP Web site, you'll find that their highest grade allows for minimal heavy metal contamination.

The quote above refers to "pharmaceutical and higher grades"; pharmaceutical grade is the highest grade certified by USP.

The brand of magnesium chloride that he recommends is the same brand that I've seen recommended on other sites, and it appears to be the best brand of magnesium chloride available. Dr. Sircus recommends this for magnesium inhalation therapy. However, despite the manufacturer's claim that their magnesium chloride is "completely free" of mercury, lead, arsenic, and fluoride, their own lab test results show trace amounts of these elements, although these amounts are well below what is permitted for USP Pharmaceutical Grade. Whether the difference is significant is hard to say. However, USP is relied upon as the standard for drug quality in the U.S., and I have seen no complaints about the level of heavy metals allowed by this grade. USP Pharmaceutical Grade should be safe for all pharmaceutical uses.

In short, both the USP Epsom Salts I recommended and the Ancient Minerals magnesium chloride should be completely safe for use with a nebulizer. The fact that Dr. Myhill routinely recommends Epsom salts for nebulizer use should also reinforce confidence about their safety. My doctor also knows that I am doing this, and as a very knowledgeable doctor, he has no objections at all.

For reference, Dr. Myhill's complete instructions for using Epsom salts with a nebulizer can be found here.
Buffer means to reduce the acidity if it is too great for the intended purpose. Substances that you nebulize need to be a suitable PH for the lungs. If they are not, it could cause spasms. Hence, the glutathione that I nebulized was buffered with sodium bicarbonate. So I'd just do some research to see if the PH of the magnesium you plan to use is a suitable level for the lungs.

Both magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride are salts, which means that they have a neutral pH. They are neither acidic nor alkaline. Therefore, no buffering is necessary.

Ema

have you done much research? What machine did you u

I had a Mabis nebulizer like this one:

Mabis 40126000 Mini Comp Compressor Nebulizer Kit with Tote Bag

It was around $30. And very noisy. (did I mention that??)

I mostly read the same sites you all have mentioned, namely Myhill's and the Sircus info. I found a "recipe" for diluting the magnesium chloride oil and used that since I already had the oil in my stash.

I'm always on the fence about magnesium because I think it is a vital mineral but I tend not to do well with things that are vasodilators. But I didn't have any ill effects from nebulizing...unfortunately no overtly positive effects either though.

invisiblejungle

Has anybody here tried both IV magnesium and nebulizing magnesium?

They gave me IV magnesium when I was in the hospital last month, and it had a pretty significant effect. I've taken truckloads of oral magnesium and slathered my body in magnesium oil but never felt anything. So I'm going to try and get a prescription for magnesium injections, but if nebulizing it is just as good, that would be much more comfortable.

Banana94

Has anybody here tried both IV magnesium and nebulizing magnesium?

They gave me IV magnesium when I was in the hospital last month, and it had a pretty significant effect. I've taken truckloads of oral magnesium and slathered my body in magnesium oil but never felt anything. So I'm going to try and get a prescription for magnesium injections, but if nebulizing it is just as good, that would be much more comfortable.

I dont see any effects in oral magnesium! Did the injections help you? Do you nebulize magnesium now?
I think to buy a nebulizer because the inejections hurts, but helps!

Banana94

I heard nebulizing magnesium should be great, its also used for asthma. Maybe I'm gonna try it in some weeks because the injections hurt so much despite of the procain I add in. I will report if its successfull.

Binkie4

I take magnesium in liquid form called Remag. It is described as bypassing a leaky gut, no diarrhoea and is absorbed straight into the cells. At first I noted a calming effect and better sleep, not so sure now. I just take it as part of my supplement regimen.