• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions about pot for medical benefits and buying from dispensary

perchance dreamer

I will soon be going to Seattle to visit family, and I'd like to go to a pot dispensary since it is legal there although I can't return with it to my state. I'm interested in trying pot while in Seattle to help with pain and sleep.

I don't want to get high since it's not good for my particular brain, but from what I understand, there's a strain that is low in THC, but still has medical benefits.

* Have any of you used pot for pain and sleep problems?

* Do dispensaries let you buy very small amounts?

* To get a sleep benefit, do you use it right before bed?

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Smoking pot may not be your best option, as the smoke can do damage to your lungs. You can however obtain CBD Hemp Oil, which is quite effective for pain management. It is of course more expensive, but it is much safer. Friends that use it, swear by it. Here is a link with more information, but it would seem CBD is not known for sleep inducing properties as per this research.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Thanks, @frog_in_the_fog. I had tried CBD oil, but not to good effect.

I don't think I'll do much damage to my lungs smoking pot for 2 or 3 times just while I'm in Seattle, so I don't have that concern. I'm curious to see what the dispensaries are like and am amazed recreational pot is legal there and in Colorado now.

panckage

I know this isn't what you asked for but I find THC quite helpful, the CBD I'm not sure.

Anyways for brain fog I find small doses helpful. A puff or 2 from a vaporizer is enough to get my brain working well enough again to do computer programming for a short while.

The most I will ever do at a time is 0.1g and that is already ruins alot of the cognitive benefit. A 0.1g dose is more just a fun remove me from reality dose :rofl:

The cognitive benefit is the best for me from a dose of 0.025g or so.

perchance dreamer

Anyways for brain fog I find small doses helpful. A puff or 2 from a vaporizer is enough to get my brain working well enough again to do computer programming for a short while.

It's interesting that you found a specific dose that actually helps your brain fog, @panckage. It sure never had that effect on me although I enjoyed smoking pot in the 70s and 80s.

I did smoke once 5 or 6 years ago, and I really didn't like it. I got paranoid and felt like I couldn't talk. It seems to be so much stronger now than when I was young.

@Sushi, that's a good idea about an edible. I'm hoping the people working at the dispensary can help me if I tell them what I'm looking for.

geraldt52

I will soon be going to Seattle to visit family, and I'd like to go to a pot dispensary since it is legal there...

I tried medical marijuana for sleep several years ago, for a little over a year. I used a variety of different edibles and tinctures, and the dispensary was happy to sell just one lozenge, if that's what you wanted. I tried it at various times before bed, and various times all during the night. I found it to be beyond useless regardless of how I used it, but you won't know until you try it. I am in California, but I can't imagine that the dispensaries operate much differently. California did require a doctors Rx, but you could get one via video conference...but it was expensive.

perchance dreamer

I'm thinking that if my pain comes down that in itself would improve my sleep. My sleep actually isn't that bad now, but it's still a struggle sometimes, particularly if I'm in a fibro flare.

geraldt52

I'm thinking that if my pain comes down that in itself would improve my sleep. My sleep actually isn't that bad now, but it's still a struggle sometimes, particularly if I'm in a fibro flare.
Yes, you should try it. Pain seems to be what it is most effective for. My insomnia was weapons grade, so I may not be the best example even for sleep.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I will soon be going to Seattle to visit family, and I'd like to go to a pot dispensary since it is legal there although I can't return with it to my state. I'm interested in trying pot while in Seattle to help with pain and sleep.

I don't want to get high since it's not good for my particular brain, but from what I understand, there's a strain that is low in THC, but still has medical benefits.

I've lived in Seattle all my life and have been using vaporized medical marijuana for muscle spasms from fibro flares for about 6 years. The only pain that I've found it useful for is muscle spasms from fibro flares, with relief in 10 minutes.

I've had access to some of the best medical marijuana in Seattle, grown by individual patients for their own consumption and to share with their friends/family/other patients. These growers have been growing for decades.

I tried my own edibles for sleep, and found that while they made me drowsy, the edibles also increased my appetite, so instead of slumbering off to bed, I wanted a SANDWICH, really bad. Ever try to go to sleep when you're starving? It doesn't work. Edibles take too long to take effect, so I never considered them my go-to drug for pain relief. I don't even remember if they work for pain.

Dispensaries will let you buy just one gram if you want, and that might run you $10-15 per gram, depending on the strain. Before I made connections with individual growers, I bought one gram at a time of a few different strains, so it's no big deal to buy a small amount. If you smoke it or vaporize it (you'll need a vaporizer for that, which could set you back $100) the onset of effects will be immediate. If you're fumbling around and can't or don't want to roll your own joint, you can buy a "pre-roll" which is just a joint, for about $5-10 (don't quote me, I don't buy my stuff this way).

Edibles have a delayed onset of 90-120 minutes and will make you feel sleepy and a bit high at the same time. Unless you make your own, edibles are a very expensive way to do medical marijuana.

As of July 1, 2016, the state shut down all medical dispensaries. The only way to buy any weed at all is to go to a recreational store. Some recreational stores have a medical endorsement and some do not. The ones with a medical endorsement have "specially trained" bud tenders who can recommend strains or products to suit your medical condition or whatever health effect you're after (pain control, sleep, etc.)

I'd recommend only going to recreational stores that have a medical endorsement, because the recreational stores that don't have a medical endorsement cannot (lawfully) offer you any information on health effects (pain, sleep, etc.)
Here is an interactive map for locating one:
http://wslcb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=a84ba123b8d94a65aa03ae573a65c1aa

There are two main divisions of cannabis: indica and sativa. Indica strains will make you feel relaxed and a little lethargic. Think of lounging on the couch watching a movie. Sativa strains won't make you feel as sleepy, and they might even make you feel more sociable. Think of indicas for evening and sativas for daytime, and that may help you decide what you want.

When you go into the store, say you're looking for a strain that will do x, y or z. All marijuana will get you high, sorry, that's just the way it is.:cool: Even the so-called high CBD strains will work better if some THC is present. But bud tenders are used to getting requests for high CBD strains, so it's no big deal. I've had pain relief from both indicas and sativas, although typically indicas are recommended for pain.

I did smoke once 5 or 6 years ago, and I really didn't like it. I got paranoid and felt like I couldn't talk. It seems to be so much stronger now than when I was young.
Definitely let the bud tender know this. I think high-THC strains (sativas) can do this to some people.

Recent article:
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/spincontrol/2016/jul/01/state-maps-medical-marijuana-stores/

Maybe try a strain that is 1:1 ratio of THC:CBD. I prefer indica strains for sleep and sativas for daytime use. You may also want to try CBD only for pain. I've been experimenting with medical marijuana for about two years, and it has taken me time to find strains that work for me. The strains Medical Mass, Mothers Helper and Ringo's Gift have been the best for me so far.

The effects from an edible last longer for me and are more gradual. Vaporizing is instant, but I find almost too intense for me at times. You also have to find your sweet spot for dosage as everyone metabolizes differently.
Good luck and have fun.

perchance dreamer

@CFS_for_19_years, thanks for all the great info! It's good to know how the dispensaries work in Seattle, and I'll find a shop with a medical endorsement so I can get questions answered.

I'm glad to learn the general differences in the indica and sativa strains and also that even the low THC types will get you a little high.

@Bead Dog, thanks for letting me know the most helpful strains for you. Since I can buy in quantities as low as 1 gram, I could try a couple of different types. If pot freezes without it affecting the potency, I could ask my sister if I could keep any leftovers in her freezer since I go to Seattle a couple of times a year. She hasn't gone to a dispensary there, but will go with me although she said she wants the fun type instead of what I'm looking for.

I listened to an NPR interview with a marijuana expert, and he said it is complex chemically with many compounds and that the function of all the compounds is not yet known. I know it's supposed to be challenging to grow. I say this based on my extensive experience of watching Weeds.

I mentioned to my pharmacist, who I've known a long time, that I would be visiting a Seattle dispensary, and she just lit up. She really wants to move to Seattle when she retires and go into the pot business in some capacity. She's seen how it helps one of her family members with cancer with pain control and appetite. She also thinks it would help people trying to wean from certain antidepressants that cause withdrawal side effects.

It seems as if the situation where pot is legal in WA and CO and other states to come while remaining illegal federally can't go on forever. It seems dangerous to have to keep dispensaries as cash-only businesses because banks can't legally handle the financial transactions. Also, it seems ridiculous to have pot as a Schedule 1 drug in the company of heroin and LSD.

It will be interesting to see the next states that legalize it, with CA a distinct possibility soon. It will become legal in TX when pigs fly.

@perchance dreamer you could probably keep it in the freezer. Definitely keep it out of strong light and best in a sealed airtight container. Might lose some potency, but would still most likely be ok.

If you want to learn more about how cannabis works, there is an excellent website http://greenflowermedia.com.
They occasionally have live streaming educational events for free if you register in advance. I can't say enough how helpful it has been to be able to hear from experts about medicinal use.

I noticed my pain management doctor even had glossy brochures for a medical dispensary in his waiting room last time In was there. I hope that the powers to be come to their senses regarding the use of this most excellent plant.
Get out and vote if it is on the ballot in your state.

Actually, I think it is very easy to grow, but the skill comes from how it is grown for potency, etc.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
When I was just starting to learn about strains, I thought I'd be a smart shopper by learning the names of a few strains that I heard worked for others. Unfortunately, when you go to a dispensary, you're limited to the varieties they have on hand.....gulp! So you can't just go in and place your order for 3 g of Girl Scout Cookies, 2g of Harlequin, 1 g of Pineapple Express. There are literally hundreds of strains and crosses, all with crazy names. Learning the names is half the fun though. Granddaddy Purple and UW Purple were some of the strains I tried at first. Now nobody I know works with those strains.

The point is, don't get hung up on names. Just know the difference between sativas and indicas (and yes there are sativa/indica hybrids) and for you, a high THC strain might not be the best choice.

As said, medical dispensaries are happy to sell by the gram and often have legitimate medical strains as opposed to just THC bombs. I would definitely shop a medicinal-oriented dispensary instead of a purely recreational one.

In my journeys through the world of medicak marijuana, i've had very conflicting results. On the one hand, I find strains like Valentine X, Charolette's web, and others that are at or beyond a 5:1 ratio of CBD:THC to be legitimately helpful for inflammatory-related pain and malaise and really taking the edge off PEM episodes. On the other hand, if its something with anything but low THC, even if there are other cannabinoids to balance out the THC, I dislike using it because it makes me feel like what it must be like to be autistic. As much as weed people love talking about indica vs sativa, I believe the species doesn't really matter and it all comes down to the unique cannabinoid compisition. That is to say that its difficult to determine cannabinoid composition and you pretty much have to take the dispenary's word on composition. Research into cannabinoids also leaves much to be desired due to federal restriction on research and I have no doubt there are indeed elusive and mysterious cannabinoids in some strains that can make all the difference for certain people.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
That is to say that its difficult to determine cannabinoid composition and you pretty much have to take the dispenary's word on composition.
Not in Washington State. By law it has to be tested and analyzed by state-certified cannabis labs. Here's one:
http://tnwlab.com/our-services/
True Northwest provides required, I-502, quality assurance testing to keep you in compliance with state mandated laws. We test flowers, extracts, and certain edibles and offer the following analytical services:

I-502 Quality Assurance Tests
  • Potency – THC, THC-A, CBD
  • Moisture
  • Foreign Matter Inspection
  • Microbiological Screening
  • Residual Solvents
Grow Check
Our grow check service assists producers in quantifying potency levels at various stages of growth, in order to know when THC and/or CBDs are at their peak, helping to determine best harvest dates.

The results of the THC and CBD are printed on any packaging material. As far as I know, all cannabis is packaged so that it can be traced to the grower and processor. You won't be able to sniff the exact buds you will be taking out of the store, that is, until you buy them and leave the store. Here's what's required for the label:
https://www.leafly.com/news/industr...nabis-packaging-and-labeling-laws##washington
(13) Labels affixed to the container or package containing usable marijuana sold at retail must include:
  • (a) The business or trade name and Washington state unified business identifier number of the licensees that produced, processed, and sold the usable marijuana. The marijuana retail licensee trade name and Washington state unified business identifier number may be in the form of a sticker placed on the label;
  • (b) Inventory ID number assigned by the liquor control board's traceability system. This must be the same number that appears on the transport manifest;
  • (c) Concentration of THC (total THC and activated THC-A) and CBD;
  • (d) Net weight in ounces and grams or volume as appropriate;
Also see
WAC 314-55-105
Packaging and labeling requirements.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=314-55-105

Here's how you'll get to smell cannabis coming from the same batch you'll be buying:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=314-55-096
8) Sample jars: A processor may provide a retailer free samples of usable marijuana packaged in a sample jar protected by a plastic or metal mesh screen to allow customers to smell the product before purchase. The sample jar may not contain more than three and one-half grams of usable marijuana. The plastic or metal mesh screen must be sealed onto the container, and must be free of rips, tears, or holes greater than 2 mm in diameter. The sample jar and the usable marijuana within may not be sold to a customer and must be returned to the licensed processor who provided the usable marijuana and sample jar.
(9) Sample labeling: All vendor samples and sample jars must be labeled with the following:
(a) Sixteen digit identification number given by the traceability system;
(b) Information identifying whether it is a vendor sample or sample jar;
(c) The UBI number of the licensed entity providing the sample;

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Thanks for the videos, @CFS_for_19_years! It's amazing how quickly the first grandma to smoke became an expert. It was funny to hear these women who look like my elderly aunts talk about queefing. I know the concept, of course, but that's a new term for me.

I enjoyed how one of the ex-cops deadpanned that it's been so long since he's had sex that he doesn't remember who ties up whom.

I noticed that one of the grandmas said her neck muscles relaxed, and one of the cops said his headache that was coming on before smoking went away.

A friend who lives in Olympia told me that she uses a hemp topical for neck pain and that it really helps. She uses Organic Permafrost. This business is based in Pierce County, so I don't know if the Seattle shops carry it, but I'll look for it:

http://kushcreams.com/product/organic_permafrost/

perchance dreamer

I'm back from my trip to Seattle. While there, I visited 2 dispensaries with my sister. She had not gone before, either.

It was such an interesting experience. We got carded by what must be a type of pot bouncer who checks IDs before letting people in.

Once inside, we saw glass display cases with a large array of bud, pre-rolls, tinctures, transdermals, and edibles. We were helped both times by very knowledgeable young bud tenders, who really seemed to be enjoying their jobs.

The first night, I tried smoking a joint, Lavender Waxrams with 62.4% THC. My sister had gotten that. She had asked for a fun kind that wasn't too strong.

One toke was all I had because that one left me blotto although my sister didn't feel it was very strong. I also tried a high CBD/low THC tincture and a pot-infused transdermal.

The transdermal eased my pain some, but not really more than Arnicare Gel. I didn't get pain relief from the other forms at all, so I pretty much gave up on my pot experiment until I tried a mint infused with 5% THC, which is a very low percentage, as I understand it.

That gave me great pain relief that lasted for hours. It was hard not to bring it back, but I didn't since it's not legal in TX. I look forward to trying another one of the Mr. Moxey's Mints when I got back in 6 months or so.

Thanks again for all the help and information you all gave me. I passed some of it on to my pharmacist, who wants to retire in Seattle and go into the biz.

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It was really nice of you to come back and let us know how things went.
We got carded by what must be a type of pot bouncer who checks IDs before letting people in.
Yup, they are necessary. Law enforcement n stuff.

We were helped both times by very knowledgeable young bud tenders, who really seemed to be enjoying their jobs.
Word.
One toke was all I had because that one left me blotto although my sister didn't feel it was very strong
I love the feeling I get when I smoke a joint but I just can't handle the hangover the next day.
I tried a mint infused with 5% THC, which is a very low percentage, as I understand it.

That gave me great pain relief that lasted for hours. It was hard not to bring it back, but I didn't since it's not legal in TX. I look forward to trying another one of the Mr. Moxey's Mints
Which dispensary had these? I'm interested in trying them. Thanks.