• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Genie Results - Not Understanding the Interpretation Guide :(

I can see this is a frequently asked question but the odds of me being able to understand all this in this lifetime are slim ... I was hoping to not have to pay for a doctors appointment with a doctor that my insurance doesn't cover to get some interpretation on my methylation and detox reports. I will post them both below in the hopes that someone knowledgeable is feeling generous today and wants to give me the lowdown on this stuff :)

upload_2016-5-28_9-23-29.png

upload_2016-5-28_9-24-27.png

caledonia

Watch the Methylation Made Easy videos and then try the SNPs Interpretation Guide. See my signature link.

The main thing I'm seeing are a tendency towards low glutathione ( GSTP1) and oxidative stress (SOD2 +/+) on the detox report, a tendency towards mental health issues (COMT, MAO A, and MTHFR A1298C), and a tendency towards estrogen dominance (CYP1B1 and COMT).

THANKS for your summary, if I manage to understand better after reading and watching again will I be able to figure out what supplements to take or what other things I can do for the issues you described? It seems like I will have to read several books to even come close to knowing what to do

would you recommend running my 23andme through decodifyme or nutrahacker to figure out what I should be taking? or ... ?

i was afraid of that, especially seeing the same supplement in both the encourage AND avoid sections lol

caledonia

@caledonia

So where do you recommend one gets his supplementation regiment? I currently follow nutra hackers rec's as long as another snp doesn't say to avoid it.

Ideally you would find a doctor who understands this stuff to help you with it. I have two methylation doctors lists in my signature link. Some of them will work remotely by phone or email.

Otherwise you have to spend a lot of time researching, getting functional testing to go along with the genetic testing to see what your body is actually doing, and then trying out various supplements until you arrive at something that works for you.