• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Leukaemia

wastwater

I was wondering what causes leukaemia?
Here a a few maybes in descending order.
Benzene
Smoking
Any other toxic chemicals eg vehicle fuel pesticides,solvents
Genetics
Does Epstein Barr cause it?
Then unusual infections containing leukaemia in the name ie bovine leukaemia virus
Is that about it?

Last edited:

alex3619

Anything that can damage DNA can cause cancer. Some people with damaged genes might be at higher risk. Some very rare cancers are probably entirely genetic, but very very few survive to adulthood with those. Cancer is essentially cells that replicate without control. The usual checks and balances fail. It might take seven or more genetic failures before it starts, most in key cell replication related genes.

So all mutagens may induce cancer, including leukemia.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/leukemia/basics/risk-factors/con-20024914
Factors that may increase your risk of developing some types of leukemia include:
  • Previous cancer treatment. People who've had certain types of chemotherapy and radiation therapy for other cancers have an increased risk of developing certain types of leukemia.
  • Genetic disorders. Genetic abnormalities seem to play a role in the development of leukemia. Certain genetic disorders, such as Down syndrome, are associated with an increased risk of leukemia.
  • Exposure to certain chemicals. Exposure to certain chemicals, such as benzene — which is found in gasoline and is used by the chemical industry — also is linked to an increased risk of some kinds of leukemia.
  • Smoking. Smoking cigarettes increases the risk of acute myelogenous leukemia.
  • Family history of leukemia. If members of your family have been diagnosed with leukemia, your risk for the disease may be increased.
However, most people with known risk factors don't get leukemia. And many people with leukemia have none of these risk factors.

Countrygirl

I was wondering what causes leukaemia?
Here a a few maybes in descending order.
Benzene
Smoking
Any other toxic chemicals eg vehicle fuel pesticides,solvents
Genetics
Does Epstein Barr cause it?
Then unusual infections containing leukaemia in the name ie bovine leukaemia virus
Is that about it?

Just to add the retrovirus HTLV II is associated with Hairy Cell Leukaemia and it is mainly found in Asia I believe.

Animal vaccines are also acknowledged triggers of leukaemia. My aunt's dog Chamois died of leukaemia after receiving her annual shot and the vet published a paper on the case as he said it was a well-known risk with animal vaccines. So what about human vaccines??????

wastwater

I don't have leukemia or even think I'm at risk of it but I may have a genetic fault at 13q14 and this seems to involve function of B cells,I don't know how common faults around this location maybe.ie might not be that rare
http://www.nature.com/leu/journal/v14/n3/full/2401644a.html
I could only find one paper mentioning cfs and 13q14 and it leans towards mood disorder
http://www.neurores.org/index.php/neurores/article/viewFile/86/90
But the actual gene FOXO1A is this mentioned in Griffiths work and Julia newtons?

Last edited: