• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you "crash" after taking a B complex?

bigmillz

Another part in my continuing difficulty in getting a B complex down successfully. I've tried multiple brands, doses, and even alongside Mg citrate to level out any irritability.

Still I've been having trouble tolerating B complexes. All of them I try, even in small doses, lead to a distinct "crash" roughly 5-6 hours after taking it. It feels as though my body has been exhausted of energy. Even on a low dose (where there is no noticeable energy boost), I find that hours later, I'm dragging. It's a somewhat similar feeling to having a reasonable caffeinated drink, and then getting the "lull" after it wears off.

I do drink a lot of water, and I know B vitamins are water-soluble. Is this a result of them being flushed out? Is it normal & necessary to take a 2nd complex? Think that perhaps my problem isn't too much, but rather too little.

Thanks for any input, again.

Paralee

A lot of high histamine people can't handle one of the B vitamins in the complex, I can't remember which one, but it starts with a T (Treonine?). I'm one of those, so I have to buy more individual B vitamins one at a time or a few at a time. My B12 has to be a certain kind, I can't have a lot of B6, etc. Even vitamins make your head hurt.

bigmillz

If I "crashed" that way after caffeine or B1-B3 it would usually be because of not enough carbs in the day to support them.

I did try having some sushi around the time of the problem today, with no positive result :/

Dmitri

Taking multivitamins puts me into a very wired state of increased insomnia, anxiety, paranoia, etc. I suspected this to be caused by the B components.

bigmillz

Taking multivitamins puts me into a very wired state of increased insomnia, anxiety, paranoia, etc. I suspected this to be caused by the B components.

I used to have a similar issue with multis, but I haven't taken one of those in years. Too much like trying to "shotgun" the problem.

Justin30

I recently have been having issues with the b complex formulas. Overstimulates me and gives me heart palpitations also a really wired feeling.. i have cut back on all vitamins as of late and will reintroduce them to find the culprit.

ukxmrv

I've never been able to cope with B complex. Trying to narrow it down it seems that B6 is one of the culprits for me. I can't seem to tolerate the Pyridoxine form but there may be other baddies in their I have not identified yet.

Also B complex tablets that have a yeasty smell make me feel sick and poisoned.

PeterPositive

I recently have been having issues with the b complex formulas. Overstimulates me and gives me heart palpitations also a really wired feeling.. i have cut back on all vitamins as of late and will reintroduce them to find the culprit.
I had very similar issues and I did the same. I had to buy the single vitamins and start very low dose.
B6 was the thoughest for me too, but going low and slow helped and I was able to tolerate. I didn't begin with that though. The first two were folate (standard folic acid) and methyl-B12.

Somehow after restoring decent levels of B12 and folate I was able to tolerate a B complex again.

bigmillz

I've never been able to cope with B complex. Trying to narrow it down it seems that B6 is one of the culprits for me. I can't seem to tolerate the Pyridoxine form but there may be other baddies in their I have not identified yet.

Also B complex tablets that have a yeasty smell make me feel sick and poisoned.
I had very similar issues and I did the same. I had to buy the single vitamins and start very low dose.
B6 was the thoughest for me too, but going low and slow helped and I was able to tolerate. I didn't begin with that though. The first two were folate (standard folic acid) and methyl-B12.

Somehow after restoring decent levels of B12 and folate I was able to tolerate a B complex again.

I've thought about breaking it down and taking each individually, but it's a little pricey to do so, and I'm concerned about introducing new problems from not balancing it all.

@Thinktank suggested this in another thread, and I'm considering it, as it's super low, dose, especially because 100% RDV in it comes from 3 capsules: https://www.pureformulas.com/biob-100-180-tablets-by-biotics-research.html

I just wish it had even less biotin (makes acne worse)!

@PeterPositive thanks for the point about B12/B9 helping too. Hopefully I'll experience the same, as this B complex has been a real pain, no matter how low I go.